The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2009, 12:02 PM   #26
nhsmoker

If it were me I would get the 9 first. I would go that route because ammo is cheaper which = more practice and you already said you are comfortable with the stopping power (I think a 9mm is fine as well). I really like the fact that you have 15 rounds per mag also. I also really like the 45 and that will be my next gun but already own and carry a couple of 9mm. Also just for the record even though I plan to purchase a 45 soon I still intend to carry my g19 as I am very comfortable with my shooting of it and like I said I like the capacity. In the end though get what you yourself prefer.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:39 PM   #27
comn-cents

I haven't had a hard time in the last 6 months finding ammo. My local dealer has had everything except 380, it comes and goes in waves.
Old December 5, 2009, 02:02 PM   #28
HisSoldier

Since the Obama invasion I can't imagine why anyone would buy any centerfire gun without having reloading gear for it. You can come up with a setup that fits in a suitcase, needing only a kitchen table to clamp onto. We don't know what kind of idiot the people around us will vote into office next, reloading is not optional.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:31 PM   #29
45reloader

Come on now let's do a reality check.
1. do you have tons of extra money flying out your butt.
2. do you like women and beer.
3.Would you be happy paying 2x's the price for ammo in this market.
I'm a 45 lover who also owns just a few- 9mm,40cal,and 45acp carry pistols.I love the 45acp,but in summer, even I will carry the greatest gun Glock ever built the Glock 19.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" T Jeff.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:35 PM   #30
45reloader

Quote:
Since the Obama invasion I can't imagine why anyone would buy any centerfire gun without having reloading gear for it.
Because who would start reloading when even I can't find CCI primers to reload right now.I would not buy a press and everything else till bullets,power,and primers come down in price and are more available.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" T Jeff.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:47 PM   #31
goose13

I would get either one, well if I had a .40 I would stick with that as everytime I go in wal-mart or Meijers they have plenty of .40, and when I say plenty I mean cases worth. But then they have not even one box of the 2 calibers I own, 9mm, and 45 acp.

Personally I love both my M&P 9c, and my Kimber 1911, so I could go with either.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:57 PM   #32
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Since the Obama invasion I can't imagine why anyone would buy any centerfire gun without having reloading gear for it. You can come up with a setup that fits in a suitcase, needing only a kitchen table to clamp onto.
As you and others have posted regarding reloading, the OP already stated it's not an option at this time. Let's respect his decision and focus on his other parameters.

Personally, I would buy the Glock 19. 9mm has almost always been the cheapest of the Big Three and usually is the cartridge that provides the most rounds per magazine. I honestly don't think there's that many advantages of one over the other besides size. Both are revered as being reliable, easy to maintain, easy to access aftermarket parts, etc. I'm assuming you're already familiar with shooting Glocks so I figured discussion with that is moot.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 5, 2009, 05:26 PM   #33
pacerdude

Tuttle, I am familiar with Glocks, my best friend owns one, and i enjoy it alot. I like the look of my M&P better, but hey, you can't argue with the Glock aftermarket supplies, and I still have trouble finding holsters built for the M&P.

I appreciate the advice about reloading, but I would imagine that it would cost me as much as a new pistol to gather all the equipment and supplies for reloading.

I would feel more comfortable, with only needing cleaning supplies, ammo and a good holster. But perhaps one day, I will go into the reloading adventure.

Thanks for all the help, and keep that advice coming in. As far as concealment, would the G21 be that much harder to conceal than a G19, or my M&P?
Old December 5, 2009, 05:52 PM   #34
#18indycolts

Quote:
As far as concealment, would the G21 be that much harder to conceal than a G19, or my M&P?
not sure about the m&p but between the 19 and 21..heck yes. The 21 (i think) is a huge gun, you're talking about a full size double stack .45acp vs a compact double stack 9mm. Just my .02.
Old December 5, 2009, 07:25 PM   #35
Chalupa

Here's some different advice. Since you already have a .40
which is between the 9mm and .45 why not get a wheel gun
caliber instead? Like a .357

That will give you two options .38 or .357
Old December 5, 2009, 09:22 PM   #36
loveskeet

I looked at 40 cals and the 9mms. I bought the 9mm just because the amo was cheaper and I like to shoot what I buy. You might not believe it but I carry a lady smith 38 stainless. I purchased it about 15 yrs ago and love it.
Old December 5, 2009, 09:30 PM   #37
zombieslayer

Nothing wrong with a Ladysmith. They're great guns. I want one.
Old December 5, 2009, 10:26 PM   #38
drrpg01

I find 40 S&W easier to get ahold of than 9 or 45 based on the sources I usually get ammo from.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:41 PM   #39
pacerdude

I have nothing against revolvers, I just would rather have another semi auto for now!
Old December 6, 2009, 04:33 AM   #40
zombieslayer

Drrpg01- Precisely why I just bought a .40, there are STACKS of it everywhere ammo is sold. I'm loving it, let people bash the .40 all they want- At least theres practice ammo thats cheap and plentiful!
Old December 6, 2009, 04:54 AM   #41
spodwo

Funny - 9mm is the ammo harder to find around here lately in the bargain bin...and .380 of course. But regardless - it still can be found less expensive.

WWB ammo:

9mm - 21.95 100 rounds - 22 cents a round
.45 - 32.95 100 rounds - 33 cents a round

But - it would be best to find someone who has a .45 and shoot at least a couple of boxes. You may not like the cartridge. Even more concerning is you may not like the cartridge in the particular model of pistol you are looking at...

Every so often I look at a .45 and frankly, I just think - why do I need ANOTHER type of ammo to look for and buy, especially an ammo that is minimally about 30-35% more expensive than 9mm?
Old December 6, 2009, 10:10 PM   #42
pacerdude

Honestly, it's been a while since I saw Glock 21SF and I wasnt aware that they were that much bigger than a Glock 19 or a Glock 23...I know that was a stupid mistake. But thanks for helping guys.

If instead of the Glock 19, I went with the 21 would the SF be a better choice than the regular G21?
Old December 6, 2009, 10:26 PM   #43
drrpg01

I hear you zombie. From what I've seen ballistically, there's nothing to bash. And, with ammo everywhere, it's got me taking a hard look at a Glock 23 or a Springfield XDM 40 for my next purchase.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:29 PM   #44
Shipman515

Pacerdude,

Good to see another at UGA. I'm in my senior year here.

I have both a 9mm and a 2 .45s. I definitely prefer the .45s over the 9 (even though both are 1911s).
Old December 6, 2009, 10:32 PM   #45
pacerdude

Thanks Shipman its good to see you here as well, I'm a junior at UGA. Have you been to the Firing Lane yet, I met a guy in my philosophy class that worked there.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:34 PM   #46
Shipman515

Yup, been there a few times. Can't really afford to go regularly as shooting isn't a cheap hobby for anyone, particularly a college student.

I've got 2 .45s, 1 9mm, 1 .380, a .38 (my carry revolver) and a .40.

Whats your major?
Old December 6, 2009, 10:36 PM   #47
pacerdude

English. Yeah I haven't been there either...I cant afford it. My best friend and I sometimes drive out to Charlie Elliot Wildlife center in I think Jasper county because they have a free range.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:39 PM   #48
Shipman515

Oh yeah? I wasn't aware of the free range. I'll have to look into it sometime.

How far is the ride?
Old December 6, 2009, 10:41 PM   #49
pacerdude

I'm not sure from here in Athens. I usually go back to Conyers and meet my best friend (he is a fireman there) and meet him there, and then we drive there. I think its just inside of Jasper county though.

Last edited by pacerdude; December 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: left out some words
Old December 6, 2009, 10:56 PM   #50
Shipman515

Thanks man, I'll look into it.

Tags
glock