The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
southjk

Next gun - not a Glock

My only experience with a semi-automatic has been my M&P .22 and my Shield 9mm. I will be in the market for a full size semi soon and thought I'd try out a Glock since it seems that "everyone" loves a Glock. I know not everyone but they have their followers for sure.

At the range yesterday I rented a Glock 17. It felt ok in my hands but it didn't melt into my grip like I'd hoped. I could probably get used to it. The trigger seemed smoother than my shield and I actually shot pretty decent groups shooting at 5 yards. What I didn't like was that after 10 rounds my hand was tingling a bit like if I'd hit a tree with an aluminum baseball bat. Not pleasant. I shot it a couple of more times and the same thing. Am I doing something wrong or is it just the way the gun feels. I never get that feeling after shooting my Shield 9 or my 357. Maybe it's just me.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
What I didn't like was that after 10 rounds my hand was tingling a bit like if I'd hit a tree with an aluminum baseball bat. Not pleasant.
You're definitely doing something wrong. Post a video. I can't tell you, but I know you are.

A 9mm, full sized gun? Doesn't have to just be a Glock.

For you to feel that?! Negative. Somethings going wrong.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3
g.willikers

It's your grip, probably.
Either too loose or too tight.
Or just maybe that particular rental gun had something wrong with it - like a crack in the frame or something.
Before deciding try another one, first.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Chinny33

looks to me like you are looking for an epiphany when you pick up a pistol. Probably wont happen because there are SOOOO many pistols out there to try and so little time (and or money).

There is definitely something wrong with your grip. Could be too tight or too loose of a grip. difficult to tell. Could also be you just found out you have carpal tunnel syndrome. I hope not.

2 pistols I personally picked up and felt an immediate attachment to is a Glock 20 (10mm) and a CZ 75. Both are worlds in difference in regards to feel.

Id say a strong majority of people feel an enlightened moment when they first pick up a 1911. My wallet thanks me that I have zero affinity towards 1911s or variants.
Proverbs 27:12
Old February 19, 2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Spammy_H

The Glocks did not fit my hand either. The Springfield XD series is better for me, but now the 1911 bug has bitten me hard, and there is no cure.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:49 AM   #6
dos0711

Sure there is! MORE 1911s!
Old February 19, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7
southjk

Well, I never considered that it might be something I was doing wrong.
Thinking back, it is possible that I was gripping it too tight since it was an unfamiliar gun but I'm just not sure. Ok, I'll give it another chance. But I do want to try the M&P and maybe an XD next time out.

Yes, I was expecting the angels to start singing when i held the Glock and when that didn't happen I guess I was a little disappointed. I did like the trigger and my grouping, just not the tingling. And to be clear it wasn't just like hitting a tree with an aluminum baseball bat. Not that bad but a tingle for sure.

Oh, and I'm purposely staying away from the 1911's until the next bonus comes through at the end of the year.

Last edited by southjk; February 20, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:23 PM   #8
TunnelRat

A Glock is a good gun. So is the M&P, XD, XDm, SR, P99, PPQ, SP2022, P30, etc. etc. etc. There are so many good guns out there these days. Find the one that you like the best and then 1.) train with it 2.) enjoy it responsibly.

P.S. - give them all a try if you can. I know it costs money to rent, but it costs even more money trading things in. Trust me.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 19, 2013, 01:18 PM   #9
JWT

A few years ago I bought a NIB Glock 22. I swapped it off about a year later. I just did not fit my grip and was almost painful for me to fire. Only handgun I've ever owned that did that.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:40 PM   #10
dajowi

As an RSO at a local private club I've shot a lot of Glocks and even owned one. It was a short marriage
Old February 19, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Hairbag

You could have carpel tunnel too I had carpel tunnel and that's what would happen to me I'm just sayin
Old February 19, 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
You could have carpel tunnel too I had carpel tunnel and that's what would happen to me I'm just sayin
This is why I don't shoot pistols left handed. I played a lot of computer games when I was younger, and I type with it predominantly at work, and that wrist is pretty messed up. I'm right-handed but left-eye dominant. I end up shooting rifles and shotguns left handed and pistols right-handed. The shoulder takes most of the forces with rifles and shotguns so I can shoot "normal" for me. I'm all kinds of weird.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 19, 2013, 05:02 PM   #13
blackamos

If I already had a S&W and liked the grip angle I would get the full sized M&P in 9mm. You can get an Apex trigger kit for the M&P also.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:56 PM   #14
chris in va

Keep renting more 9mm pistols. CZ (cough cough) CZ. A shaft of light will illuminate your range stall and your wallet will suddenly become lighter.

I kid. Sorta.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:56 PM   #15
HKGuns

Next gun - not a Glock

With so many great alternatives available, most better, it shouldn't be difficult to find a decent pistol that isn't a gLoCk. Go to a range and try some out, pick the one that suits you best of the many suggested alternatives.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Mauser8mm

Springfield XD

Great gun, whether you get the compact, service model, or XDM which is the largest version is your choice. Love shootin the 9mm service model. Also a Beretta 92 is a fun shooting gun, just ask the army!
Old February 20, 2013, 08:52 PM   #17
Pukindog12

Like others have stated shoot a bunch before deciding. But if you happen to shoot a Walther P99AS or PPQ don't be surprised your search comes to an abrupt end.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:16 AM   #18
Tickling

That is a strange problem you're describing, never had that problem myself. As others have suggested maybe try some different ones? In my experience the Glock 17 is a smooth shooter.

But if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you. There's plenty of options out there, if I was in the market the Walther PPQ and Ruger SR9 would be at the top of my list.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:25 AM   #19
Mosin44az

Don't know about the tingling, that sounds odd, but it doesn't surprise me you don't like the grip feel of the Glock 17, it's way curvy. Try the 19 in 9mm, although I guess it's not full size, but it works like one.

I think the XD series has better ergonomics than the Glocks. They even shaped the trigger safety better so it doesn't stick out and sting your finger on recoil. Why Glock has never corrected its design, I don't know. I don't think Glocks handle recoil as well as XDs and other brands either. Really good guns, NOT perfect for everyone.....

You are right to experiment, and grip feel counts alot....
Old February 21, 2013, 09:48 PM   #20
pat701

Look at a SIG SP2022
Old February 22, 2013, 12:25 AM   #21
CWKahrFan

There's nothing wrong with people who don't go ga ga for glocks.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:36 AM   #22
Niantician

Re: Next gun - not a Glock

Id try a few more similarly designed handguns before blaming the glock design. It may be the glock, but eventhough I dont care for them, its too good of a pistol to discount after one range trip.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:34 AM   #23
mrvco

I'm loving the gen4 grip with no back strap. My gen3 has always seemed just a bit too chunky for my hand.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:03 AM   #24
thedudeabides

Try a Glock SF or one with interchangeable grip panels.

...but Sigs and Walthers tend to have the best shaped grips in the cheap plastic gun department.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:37 AM   #25
dfsixstring

Next gun - not a Glock

I've tried to like Glocks too, but just can't. My brother is a Glock guy and I've shot them quite a bit. I'm a very accurate shooter - been shooting for over 25 years. This is why we have variety. I respect what Glock did for the gun world.

Don't lock yourself into a preconceived notion of what gun you should get. Try a variety and buy what feels good to you. There should be something in just about any price range to suit that criteria for you.