The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 18, 2017, 10:00 PM   #1
bulls n bucks

Winchester 70 super grade

I am tossing the idea around about buying a new deer rifle and was looking at the Winchester model 70 supper grade in 30-06 and was wondering if it is as good as it looks online I have not found a shop that has one in stock to handle yet.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:09 PM   #2
jonnyc

Did you perhaps mean "Super"???
Old April 18, 2017, 10:30 PM   #3
bulls n bucks

Yea I forgot that if someone miss spells something no one has a clue at all what that person means I guess I should just start a new post as everyone will be confused at this one
Old April 18, 2017, 10:31 PM   #4
bulls n bucks

Oh and thanks for the input on the rifle I got a lot of good info from that
Old April 18, 2017, 11:45 PM   #5
Carmike

Touchy.
Old April 19, 2017, 12:22 AM   #6
Pathfinder45

Since the regular model 70 is an excellent rifle, I would expect that the Super Grade is a Super Excellent rifle, worthy of SUPER-X ammunition.
Old April 19, 2017, 03:48 AM   #7
Blindstitch

It's a deer rifle so Supper Grade all you want. All my deer rifles are Supper Grade. But then again I don't eat anything my range guns shoot.

The Winchester website shows a great looking gun so I would hope it meets your expectations.
Old April 19, 2017, 06:18 AM   #8
jmr40

In my opinion the Super, or Supper grade is too "beefy". They left too much lumber in the stock combined with a heavier weight 24" barrel adds up to a beautiful pig of a rifle to carry around. It'll make a beautiful safe queen or range rifle, but I wouldn't hunt with one.

After mounting a scope, sling and loaded with ammo it'll be over 10 lbs. There is no way I'm lugging around a 10 lb deer rifle. Most elephant rifles designed to handle 458 recoil are in that weight class. No reason for a 30-06 to weigh that much.

In 30-06 I'd buy the Featherweight. Don't let the name fool you, it is featherweight in name only. In fact it is still heavier than most modern standard weight rifles. About 8 lbs ready to hunt. That is still heavier than I prefer, but manageable.

Winston Churchill
Old April 19, 2017, 10:18 AM   #9
the possum

Dad gave me a Super Grade Mod 70 for Christmas. It has beautiful wood, and I think they spend some extra time polishing and slicking up the action on 'em. I can easily open the bolt with my pinkie finger, and it slides back under its own weight. I haven't handled as standard model 70 lately, so maybe they do that to all of them; not sure.

Unfortunately I have not really gotten to shoot it much yet, so I can't give you a detailed report on its accuracy.

Mine is a .300 Win Mag, and it is indeed heavy like jmr40 mentioned. With the big scope I put on it, I think it's around 11 pounds (haven't actually weighed it yet). If you need to carry something over hill and dale, you might wanna check out something lighter. But if you only need to walk a couple hundred yards to a stand, and punch paper in the off season, the extra weight also helps soak up recoil. Mine doesn't seem to kick any harder than my .308.

Old April 19, 2017, 12:15 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Super vs Supper aside(it's dinner anyway. snicker.), the Super part is cosmetic. Lot people would be afraid of taking it hunting lest it gets scratched. Like the possum says, highly polished metal and wood, including the chamber.
A $1,359.99 MSRP makes it unsurprising there are few or none in shops.
Old April 19, 2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

Well, I have the model 70 Classic Sporter in 270, and it has to weigh
pretty much the same as the Super Grade, since mine has a 24" barrel too. I have climbed all over a lot of mountainous terrain with it and thought nothing of it. If that's an issue, the Featherweight is an awfully nice version, too.
Old April 19, 2017, 02:30 PM   #12
jersurf101

My father has a model 70 super grade in .270 win. It is a beautiful riflee and a great shooter. If I had the funds I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up in my caliber of choice. There are some members on here that are quite sensitive to the weight of the rifle. I have carried a Weatherby Vanguard vgx for 22 years. Before the Internet I didn't know I was lugging such a heavy rifle. As others have stated it really depends on what you are looking for and are used to. I for one am not a fan of ultra light rifles. YMMV. Have fun with the purchase.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:41 PM   #13
jonnyc

"Supper grade is too 'beefy'"

HAH!!! Love it!
Old April 20, 2017, 04:27 PM   #14
bulls n bucks

So I finally got to hold one today a 30-06 with the maple stock and a 308 with the Walnut stock there is nothing I didn't like about the rifle it is heavy when compared to a Kimber 84l but it's not a heavy as I thought it would be with some of the reviews I have read. If it shoots nearly as good as it look and feels I will be very happy
Old April 20, 2017, 04:45 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
So I finally got to hold one today a 30-06 with the maple stock and a 308 with the Walnut stock
It's news to me that Winchester is now making Model 70 rifles with maple stocks. Where have I been?
Old April 21, 2017, 09:08 AM   #16
McShooty

As you can see from Possum's picture, the 70 Super is a beautiful rifle. And it has the classic action similar to the first Winchester bolt action sporter in 1925, continued in the Model 70 in 1936. Get one, take it hunting, and enjoy using it and showing it off. If use gives it a few scratches in the stock you can refinsh it.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Crankylove

I've been hunting with my Model 70 Super Grade in .270 since I was 12, gift from my father 25 years ago. It is a bit heavier than some of my other rifles, but shoots great and isn't bad to pack around after deer, elk, and antelope.

It's a little prettier than some of the other model 70 variants, but I don't know that it's any better of a gun.
Old April 23, 2017, 07:23 PM   #18
WIN71

Supper gun

I do believe bulls n bucks has unwittingly invented a new term. From now on my "go to" gun will be my "Supper gun". Cause I'll be bringing something home to eat!
Here's a super grade mod 70 in .458. It's barely heavy enough. They did a real good job on this rifle. Fit, finish, checkering, the works.

Old May 18, 2017, 11:38 PM   #19
WIN71

And I must say

Quote:
Did you perhaps mean "Super"???
I would really enjoy sitting at your Thanksgiving table sometime.
Old May 25, 2017, 02:30 PM   #20
Stats Shooter

I don't know if you saw in my "Model 70 Super Grade" post the images of the .300wm Super Grade I bought. I mounted Warne Rings on it which are not exactly light, and a Swarovski Scope. Empty and w/o scope it is about 8.5lbs. With scope and rings it is about 10.5 lbs. It has a 24" magnum sporter barrel (0.630" at the muzzle)

I am a bit bigger man at 6'2 and 245lbs but 10.5 lbs is meaningless to me. Honestly I can't tell the difference between carrying my .270 win bush gun Ruger american which weighs about 7.5 lbs with scope or my AR-10 which weighs about 12 lbs. The only time I experienced what you may call "rifle fatigue" was shooting hogs in texas with my .338 Lapua Magnum (22lbs) and having to drag a couple hogs with that beast slung over my shoulder through the cactus and Mesquite.

Some guys are more weight sensitive than others. I don't think they are weak, just that, as a percentage of body mass, if you are 160 lbs, 3 lbs is a bigger percentage compared to your own weight than if you are 250 lbs.

Also, not everyone is in the same physical shape, or they are older.

Honest to goodness I walk the woods and ridges elk hunting with an eberlystock bag that has cold weather gear, field dressing kit, first aid, water, magnesium fire-starting kit, bino's, and chord as well as trash bags, and snacks...plus my rifle and ammo. Altogether that probably weighs 35lbs. If I take it off,, I will notice no less fatigue than with it on. And quite often I am miles from any vehicle.

Anyway, my point is, if you don't think it is heavy, then it isn't heavy. And again I am not trying to be insulting, but I don't know how anyone can tell the difference between a 9 lb and a 10.5 lb rifle when packing it.
Old May 25, 2017, 05:26 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
The only time I experienced what you may call "rifle fatigue" was shooting hogs in texas with my .338 Lapua Magnum (22lbs) and having to drag a couple hogs with that beast slung over my shoulder through the cactus and Mesquite.
After reading this I can't get rid of the image of a sweating, giant of a man; emerging from a thick tangle of brush and cacti after having hiked two miles with a hog under each arm and a 22 pound rifle hanging from his neck. A super rifle for Superman!
Old May 25, 2017, 08:57 PM   #22
Blindstitch

Quote:
Honest to goodness I walk the woods and ridges elk hunting with an eberlystock bag that has cold weather gear, field dressing kit, first aid, water, magnesium fire-starting kit, bino's, and chord as well as trash bags, and snacks...plus my rifle and ammo. Altogether that probably weighs 35lbs. If I take it off,, I will notice no less fatigue than with it on. And quite often I am miles from any vehicle.
Maybe that's my problem. When I deer and turkey hunt I carry a bag with a lot of those things and a rifle or shotgun slung over my shoulder. Never quite understood why 3 pounds made all the difference to people. Slings and sling swivels are cheap.
Old May 27, 2017, 01:02 PM   #23
Ocraknife

My brother has one and he's very happy with it. I haven't shot it yet personally.

-Jimro
Old May 27, 2017, 04:48 PM   #24
Stats Shooter

Quote:
image of a sweating, giant of a man; emerging from a thick tangle of brush and cacti after having hiked two miles with a hog under each arm and a 22 pound rifle hanging from his neck. A super rifle for Superman!
Yea wasn't quite like that. I drug a hog with each arm and had my rifle on my back with a backpack type sling. But I was sweating my butt off, and I did decide that that gun was not comfortable to pack.
Old June 4, 2017, 10:19 PM   #25
ripnbst

For a hunter, I wouldn't spend the extra on the Super grade but that's just me. I'd be too afraid of damaging it. I'd buy Model 70 featherweight if I could find it or a Tikka T3 Lite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk