The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 15, 2000, 12:25 AM   #1
tatters

Got my first groundhog of 2000 with my Marlin 25MN .22mag. Easy shot about 50 yds.
The difference between .22lr and .22mag is amazing. One shot and he was done.
Used CCI MaxiMag solids to sight in and now using same in hollowpoint and they hit to the same spot or enough so. Great little rifle.

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"
Old April 15, 2000, 08:14 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What's your style of hunt? Find a burrow, and back off and wait? Or ease along in sneaky-snake fashion until you spot one away from his hole?

Art
Old April 17, 2000, 10:01 PM   #3
tatters

Both,Art. Hoggin' is one of my favorite things, even if I don't get one! I have limited places to hunt, with all the urban expansion. Funny you should ask, I have been watching a hole on and off lately. I usually see one out, then do a little scouting, then play it by ear. A while back, I had a 10/22 and was over by a beat up barn the owners were going to refurbish. The little beasts had the foundation tore to pieces. For them, I laid in the bushes at about 50 yds and waited. Got a few that way. I got a couple too far away from their holes last year and had to shoot them while they were running for their holes. I had the SKS then, and I was glad I had a semi! I was using the steel ammo at the time and it seemed the rounds went right through. I had to finish both of them off with my little Phoenix Arms HP-22 and some Stingers.
They must get an adreniline rush, these two were hard to kill.

------------------
" But when you've been granted the privilege of being heard, take great care with this power and watch every word"
Black Oak Arkansas