The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 26, 2016, 09:52 AM   #1
wrekd

Tikka T3X stainless vs Savage 16/116 FCSS

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but I'm looking to buy a new deer rifle in .308 and from doing a lot of reading I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I'm open to other suggestions also. I've got about $800 to spend and looking for the best option. I'll be using it mainly for hunting and some target practice here and there. I don't reload so I'll be shooting factory ammo. Basically looking for the most reliable and best shooting gun between the two. I know the Tikka's are known for their accuracy and also the Savage. I'll be topping it with a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40.
Old December 26, 2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Picher

I own a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 Win and it's a really great rifle...one of the few that I haven't had to accurize or otherwise modify before I was happy with it.

Savages seem to be popular with a lot of folks, and I had one back in the late 1950's that was nice. I'm not crazy about some of the cheaper ones today, but their deluxe models seem nice.

For my money, I'd get the T3.

JP
Old December 26, 2016, 11:26 AM   #3
wrekd

I have a Savage 12FCV in 22-250 and I love it. I was gonna buy a comparable Tikka because I thought it felt a little better made but I never heard of Tikka at the time so I went with the Savage. I've been reading a lot about Tikkas lately and they seem like really good rifles but I just want to make sure before I buy one. The only negative thing I heard about them is the bolts breaking and Tikka not standing behind it and basically saying you're -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- outta luck if it happens.
Old December 26, 2016, 11:28 AM   #4
Dranrab

I don't think anyone would argue that the Savage is as refined as the Tikka. Tikka owners generally love their rifles and have high praise for their craftsmanship. Both guns are stone cold reliable and more accurate than most of their owners. Prices are similar. Savage has a $75 rebate going through the end of the year. Savage has solid customer service and is made in the USA. Tikka customer service is generally considered nightmarish in the off chance you need it. Either way you'll and up with very nice rifle.
Old December 26, 2016, 11:51 AM   #5
RC20

For what you are after, the Savage is far the better deal.

Cabala regularly offers a $75 rebate on Savage rifles and Savage offers a separate rebate for $150 off.

Tika is going to be classier, but if you want the best bang for the buck (pun intended) the Savage is far better.

The issue is sorting it out.

The 11/116 Hunter xxxx (something or the other) is a great deal, light hunting rifle and comes with a scope. You do get what you pay for and that is a low cost plastic stock that is more than adequate for hunting.

I think I paid $350 for mine (I change barrels and it was the receiver I was after).

This one is sold out right now but worth a look or even Gun Brokers:

If you don't mind the weight, the Cabell's only (not one else including Savage has the setup, they make it just for Savage) is the 10T.

That is heavier as it has the heavy varmint barrel on it, nice 5R rifling, better target rifle but you pay the price with weight.

It has the nicer Varmint acu trigger that you can set as low as 1.5 lbs.

It has a pretty good composite acu stock.
Old December 26, 2016, 01:48 PM   #6
wrekd

Hopefully my dealer has both down there. But I definitely know the Savage's can shoot. That's from my 22-250 with factory Remington UMC 45gr. First two were the ones under the bullseye next 6 high left (had one flyer). Forgot making adjustments at more then 100yds affect it more. I'm leaning towards the Savage but I might end up with the Tikka. Cause I know the Tikka can shoot too. I think the Tikka might be a bit better made but I like the safety better on the Savage and that the magazine and trigger guard are metal vs plastic on the Tikka.
Old December 26, 2016, 02:58 PM   #7
RC20

You do have to watch that.

Savage is putting a lot of plastic parts on their lower cost models for sure.

I got a 116 Pro Hunter, plastic trigger guard, plastic removable magazines.

Didn't bother me as it got converged to something else but I did get a stainless trigger (needed to so it would fit the different stock I went with)

I don't have a problem with plastic magazines, though I don't know how good Savages really are.

I do not like Plastic trigger guards.

There is a tradeoff for the low cost rifles.
Old December 26, 2016, 04:03 PM   #8
jmr40

I've found Tikka to be more accurate than Savage. The blue budget Savage rifles are fairly inexpensive compared to the competition, but their SS rifles tend to cost more than comparable SS rifles.

Savage rifles have a reputation for accuracy, they also have a reputation for rough barrels which need cleaning much more often.

Quote:
The 11/116 Hunter xxxx (something or the other) is a great deal, light hunting rifle
A Tikka with a scope on it will weigh about the same as the Savage with no scope. And the Tikka stock is much better.
Old December 26, 2016, 04:54 PM   #9
wrekd

I went down and looked at both rifles and ended up with the Savage 16 FCSS Weather Warrior in .308. They didn't have either rifle in .308 but they had the T3X there in .270 and the Savage there in .270wsm. I liked the feel of the Savage better. The action looked and felt stronger to me. Didn't care at all for the plastic mag and trigger guard on the Tikka. The action felt a little smoother on the Tikka but not by much. Triggers felt about the same, maybe a little better on the Tikka. Didn't like the safety on the Tikka either. It felt real notchy. Overall I just liked the Savage better. Hope I made the right decision. Thanks for the opinions guys. I'll update the thread once I shoot it.
Old December 26, 2016, 05:01 PM   #10
Saltydog235

Tikka is a long Action. Savage will be a short action. Both have great accuracy and a lot of available aftermarket options. The Tikka has a better factory trigger but I've never been a fan of the Accutrigger, replaced mine with a Timney and what a difference. Two locking logs on both but the Savage has that "floating" bolt head. Savage has an open ejection port, Tikka is closed.

I've never had a Savage that wouldn't shoot well. Never owned a Tikka, always wait until I can buy the Sako instead.
Old December 28, 2016, 09:49 AM   #11
AllenJ

If the Savage felt better to you then you made the right choice in my opinion. Look forward to your range report.
Old December 28, 2016, 12:08 PM   #12
RC20

Good choice, I don't know you can go wrong with the Tika, I sure do not get a warm and fuzzy over their tiny bolts. I am sure its all more than on the up and up but I like some heft.

The 16 Stainless Looks like a great hunting rifle. I always hated exposing a wood stock and steel to wet conditions. Not an issue with yours.

One thing to keep in mind, the Acu trigger is a Hunting one and it adjust down to 2.5 lbs. I prefer heavier in a hunting rifle, more like 5 lbs.

Your 12FCV has the Acu Varmint that adjust down to 1.5 lbs.

If you want to change it, its just a spring change, Northern Shooters Supply carries them.

The barrel is likely to be hard to clean. Savage is pretty rough though it does not affect accuracy. Something to do with the way its made, it has sort of cross hatch ripples so each one catches carbon you can't get to (maybe from the front but not worth it in my opinion)

I wondered why I could not get mine completely clean until I got the Lyman Boroscope (nice tool, $80 off when I got it via Amazon.)

I went with Carbon Killer 2000 and can get it clean, never totally but more than good enough. The Boroscope lets you know you got it as best you could.

Once its down to traces of Carbon I stop on that barrel.
Old December 28, 2016, 01:20 PM   #13
godale

Tikka T3X stainless vs Savage 16/116 FCSS

While the lower grade savages can be cheesy the 16/116,14/114 are top notch . As while as the model grade targets . You pay for them too . There are so many cheep brand of rifles because that's where the demand is . I personally don't like them on big calibers and prefer nicer blue and a chunk of wood but that's just me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by godale; December 28, 2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old December 29, 2016, 07:17 AM   #14
wrekd

I'm no gun expert, far from it really but the Savage felt better to me. I can't wait til it comes in so I can go pick it up. Hopefully I get some decent weather to go shoot it. It's a little cold here in PA right now.
Old December 29, 2016, 09:41 AM   #15
godale

Cold in ne Ohio too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 29, 2016, 10:23 PM   #16
RC20

The Savages are all the same metal receiver and barrel wise.

The only difference is the furniture, plastic triggers, magazine and bottom fittings and stock.

Target guns are simply the same receiver without the cut outs (single shot type)

I just got a 116, Plastic trigger and magazine. XP package, low cost and fine as I new what I was getting.

My 111BTH was from an earlier eta so its got bottom metal parts and a nice Boyds Thumbhole stock (which is why I got it).

Barrels are all done the same except they are thicker.

The only one that is different is the Model 10T that has 5R rifling.

Quote:
While the lower grade savages can be cheesy the 16/116,14/114 are top notch . As while as the model grade targets . You pay for them too . There are so many cheep brand of rifles because that's where the demand is . I personally don't like them on big calibers and prefer nicer blue and a chunk of wood but that's just me
Old December 30, 2016, 06:17 AM   #17
wrekd

From what I understand the package models (XP) have the plastic parts. The model 16/116fcss I got has the metal trigger guard and mag.
Old December 30, 2016, 06:53 PM   #18
wrekd

Picked it up today and went to my friends house to let him check it out. He has the Tikka T3X Lite stainless topped with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. They're both really nice guns. I might pick up a Tikka eventually.

He hasn't shot his yet either so I'll get some better pics and a range report once we get a decent day to go shooting.
Old May 19, 2017, 05:25 PM   #19
Berserker

Old thread, but came up on google. I am thinking of getting rid of my 116 and getting a Tikka. One reason is scope mounting. Look at the pics. Leupolds don't fit well on savages, making it a pain to load from above.

I also don't like the long magazines on Savages, when loading from above, the round can get cockeyed. Where as my 700 the magazine is about the length of the round.

How long is the tikka magazine?

Tikka magazines are kinda cheesey atleast on my 110. My 116 is blind.

I was thinking of Sako, but the Finnlight is 24", and I want 22".