The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 24, 2009, 11:12 PM   #26
jakeg823

Quote:
I couldn't think of a body part I wanted to have land on a hard, angular piece of steel in the event of a bike mishap, so I never did carry on the body while riding.
makes sense for sure

not knocking fanny packs....but in ms we dont really wear fanny packs...if you have on a fanny pack in ms its cuz you keep your steroids in it....or your daily vitamins and some baby wipes if you're my grandmother
Old October 25, 2009, 01:38 AM   #27
MLeake

jakeg823

I don't care for fanny packs, myself. I generally prefer OWB or IWB, with the occasional pocket, shoulder, or chest holster rig depending on dress and activities.

Like I said, though, the trick is in transferring a pistol from a saddlebag to one of those other rigs without anybody noticing.

Although I suppose one option would be to carry the pack into a restroom stall, but that starts getting time-intensive and complicated.
Old October 26, 2009, 11:27 PM   #28
txbirddog

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I like my fanny pack as it is real fast access and nobody notices it on an old guy....I just look like a tourist/easy target. It is a little odd for someone your age.

Look at the Safepacker, http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

You also may want to look at a fatboy, http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...4&idproduct=31

Ride Safe.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:33 AM   #29
mrclean77

not trying to be rude, but those are purses...well at least that's what my Dad would call them & I'm sure I'd get some grumbling from him if he were to ever catch me in that - but your point is a good one, if I saw someone w/those on, I wouldn't think "gun", I would put them in the "non-threatening" category

sorry, OT

I am planning on getting a shoulder harness in the spring when the season starts back up - I"m a big guy & hope that I do't ahve to get one custom-made
Old October 27, 2009, 09:56 AM   #30
Joat

I ride a RoadStar and almost always carry. I am right handed.
Most often it is a P7 in a LEFT hand IWB at about 9 o'clock. Occasionally I'll carry in either a fanny pack or a Maxpedition Versapack murse(man purse) slung on the left side.

I stay away from the SOB carry while riding for 3 reasons. The first is that the back of my jacket/shirt is the first thing to ride up at speed. Second, the backrest pushes the gun into my spine when I lean back. Third, a good friend of mine spent 6 months paralyzed due to spinal shock/swelling after he high cornered and landed on his S&W 66 carried in a small of the back rig.

Joat
Old October 27, 2009, 03:34 PM   #31
jakeg823

i understand the shirt riding up...while on my sporty or my ninja i have to tuck in the back of my shirt and even then on the ninja it still gives me problems so SOB would be iffy...but it would solve the plumber butt issue ha...on the fatboy it wouldnt be bad to carry SOB, except in a wreck situation.

the man bag might be ok......ish.....its becoming a lot more accepted now so maybe eventually....ha maybe....it would be a lot more accepted than if i were to use a fanny pack. it tripped me out a few days ago while watching an episode of Sons of Anarchy(not sure what the view of that show is by a lot of bikers....but personally i love it) and jacks had a man bag... except i think he had his dad's book in it
Old October 27, 2009, 05:34 PM   #32
zombieslayer

I IWB carry small guns on my ZRX1200. A tank bag is also I nice spot for a pistol. I tuck a little bit of my shirt under the clip of my holster, just enough to keep it from blowing, and the gun is still nicely hidden. I do carry small though, an LCP usually.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:47 PM   #33
Bigjim3

Oh yea,IWB I carry while riding my harley. got pulled over one time for my shirt blowing up and showing my gun. The cop was nice and said "I dont blame you one bit" "but keep it in your paints" Covered..and as jakeg823 said. not knocking fanny packs....but in ms we dont really wear fanny packs...if you have on a fanny pack in ms its cuz you keep your steroids in it....or your daily vitamins and some baby wipes if you're my grandmother I could not agree more...
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old October 27, 2009, 08:04 PM   #34
jakeg823

tank bag is not a bad idea on my ninja, except i just dont like the idea of having to haul it around w/ me....luckily more and more of them are going to a more backpack design, so thats definitely an option worth considering
Old October 27, 2009, 08:28 PM   #35
zombieslayer

A small auto under the top flap of a small magnetic tank bag... or a pocket gun that will fit in a jacket you ride in
Old October 27, 2009, 09:16 PM   #36
orionengnr

I ride year round (Texas) and carry every day. I also prefer calibers that "start with a 4" which limits my options.

I generally carry IWB, 4 oclock. My current preferred summer carry is a Kahr P45. (I occasionally carry it's little brother, the PM9, in the front pocket.)
In the winter I tend toward 4" N-frames or 1911s.

Any of them would hurt a bit if I landed on it...at 5'9" and 150, I don't have much "padding". Then again, years of motocross, street riding, and road racing have taught me that if/when I hit the pavement (even without a gun) it will hurt...moreso now that I'm on the wrong side of 50 Full-face helmet, gloves, jacket with armor, hard soled shoes, even 100 degrees plus.

Also, having lived through a spinal injury and spinal surgery, I will never wear a gun SOB, on a bike or off.

But all of this has given me some food for thought. I've never been a fan of shoulder holsters, but for a medium-to full size gun on a bike, that might merit further consideration. I don't remember ever hitting the ground without having my arms outstretched--it's an instinctive reaction.

So, are you comfortable with an LCP or similar? You can carry that front pocket or vest-pocket and landing on it would be far less traumatic (my pocket knife and spare mag/speed loader are probably more substantial).

Good luck and ride safe. Wish I were 21 again
Old October 27, 2009, 10:09 PM   #37
charleym3

I ride and carry

I ride a ninja 650R sport/touring bike. Most often I use a fanny pack to carry a Glock 19. Sometimes I use a vertical shoulder holster. Occasionally I go IWB, it depends a lot on the protective gear I'm wearing and how far I'm riding. Comfort is everything.
I have occasionally carried in a tank bag, but I really don't like having the gun off my body. If I'm only wearing a T shirt on a short hop though, its either that or a fanny pack. I still prefer the fanny pack in that situation. It looks more together to me.
Old October 28, 2009, 06:57 PM   #38
jakeg823

I'm really liking the LCR actually...the LCP is ok, but i'd just prefer a lightweight revolver instead of a small auto for pocket carry...for iwb or shoulder carry i'm leaning towards 1911(looking at a kimber ultra or compact) and a SA xdm...i intend to buy both(and a LCR w/ the lazer grips cuz the sights on it suck), but i dont know that the xdm would be comfortable for concealed carry cuz its a beefy pistol. since i just turned 21 i only have a small inventory of handguns...only a 6 1/2" judge and a high standard 1911...both of which are great guns, but obviously the taurus is a little more bulky(with a nice shoulder holster it still wouldnt be much worse than a full size auto), and i just dont like the idea of popping off .410 shells in public, and as far as my current 1911 goes i'm really looking for a more upscale 1911 like the kimber meant more for carry
Old October 28, 2009, 07:12 PM   #39
drdirk

When I was younger I used to ride motorcycles in Texas a lot. We went on long rides through some pretty rough areas so I definitely had a gun on me. I would put it in the saddle bag during the ride and then carry IWB when we would stop. Usually it was my Bersa 380 or my 380 snub.

During the riding I found it uncomfortable and was worried that in case of a fall it would dig into my body.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:56 PM   #40
Greg_TX

I don't carry anything in my pants pockets when I ride - not even my keys or wallet. I hit the ground once when the front tire slipped out on some wet debris in the road while turning and I landed hard on my right side. This was at about 20 mph and my cell phone was crushed against my hip and my jeans were tore up bad. Speaking for myself, I'd never carry IWB or OWB - it would either be in a shoulder holster under my jacket or the tank bag.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:29 PM   #41
jakeg823

Quote:
I don't carry anything in my pants pockets when I ride - not even my keys or wallet. I hit the ground once when the front tire slipped out on some wet debris in the road while turning and I landed hard on my right side. This was at about 20 mph and my cell phone was crushed against my hip and my jeans were tore up bad. Speaking for myself, I'd never carry IWB or OWB - it would either be in a shoulder holster under my jacket or the tank bag.
been there....doing 10mph in a slight turn off and hit a patch of gravel about a inch thick i couldnt see for some reason...and going back to my old dirtbike days stuck my leg out to catch myself(mostly) and my bike(hopefully...it was a 700+pound fatboy) and snapped my tibia in my right leg in 4 places and crushed my tibia plateau(where the tibea meets the knee...so no i've got 2 plates, 10 screws and not a lot of feeling in that area...luckily my leg broke my fall so i didnt hurt anything else...my leather jacket and my helmet didnt even have a mark on them
Old October 29, 2009, 05:48 PM   #42
Wayfinder

I use the Safepacker. It will keep both me and my 1911 safe if I go down. No one seems to notice or question it.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:52 PM   #43
mskdgunman

I've got an old Highway 1 leather vest with two cargo type pockets on the front and a G-36 and an extra mag fit perfectly in it.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:24 PM   #44
Straightshooter629

I always ride in a vest and I carry in my normal manner. I carry my Rossi 462 in a Don Hume belt slide worn "crossdraw" with two speed strips in a Bianchi pouch. In extreme heat, I'll switch to an Uncle Mikes ankle holster. It conceals well inside my "HH" boots.
Old November 9, 2009, 09:15 AM   #45
jborushko

straightshooter -obviously you wont be reloading on the go/ or immediately

i just got this awesome picture in my head of trying to re-load a revolver with speed strips while riding after unloading 6 shots.

personally i could never get the hang of speed strips...

anyway... i carry while on my bike, lol and while on a bicycle... even better even while on my mini chopper!

i generally carry in my shoulder rig, unfortunately its a right hand draw (guns on my left side) so that makes it kinda useless if i need to be on the throttle. so to remedy this i've gotten a left hand outside the pant rig. i might sew a pocket into my leather jacket though for left hand pull from the right side. i do like the tank bag idea, but i haven't found a tank bag that will sit well on a high-rise sportster tank. - i would tend to stray away from open carring in a thigh-holster (while this is the most comfortable) in my area cops dont always know the law - and it only takes one person to say, "i was threatened by the mean biker man - HE HAD A GUN!!! OMG"

i guess i dont have any real input, except: its do-able but just like everything else do whats comfortable!
Old November 9, 2009, 12:33 PM   #46
jakeg823

hahaha a minichopper...i'd love one of those actually....ha and a pocket rocket...better than a moped thats for sure!
Old November 22, 2009, 04:45 PM   #47
brelea09

anyone ccw while on motorcycle?

Try the " NAA BELT BUCKLE PISTOL" it is a gem.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:36 PM   #48
cwb

i ride an 07 gsxr 600 and i have no prob hideing my pistol when i wear a jacket but i have been pulled over twice when not wearing a jacket because the bottom of the grip was sticking out but the cop was cool about it
Old November 22, 2009, 05:39 PM   #49
jakeg823

a .22 is just a little bit too small for me to be comfortable w/ for self defense...not saying it wont get the job done though just not willing to compromise that much when there are better options available. The belt buckle is pretty cool...would be a nifty backup weapon

Last edited by jakeg823; November 22, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old November 22, 2009, 11:08 PM   #50
45Gunner

I have found the best way to CCW while on a motorcycle is buying a military leather helicopter pilots holster. Lots of reproductions available. I carry a 1911 in mine. Just have to zip down the zipper a little bit on the leather jacket, reach in and my hands are on my gun. Not recommended while the motorcycle is in motion. While riding, the gun is tight to my chest and not flopping around is some flap of a pocket or in some pocket holster where it could slip out unnoticed and gone with the wind.

I like this holster so much that I wear it while also driving my motohome. It's out of the way of the panel and controls and doesn't catch up on the edge of my captain's chair. I wear a dark t-shirt while driving so it can't be seen by passing motorist. When it's time for a fuel stop, I simply put on a light jacket or a long sleeve shirt.
NRA Life Member