The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2001, 10:32 PM   #1
Labman

I have been getting more and more stovepipe type jams with my Ruger Mark II pistol in the last few months. I have tried quite a few different types of ammo both standard and high velocitylately to try to solve the problem without success. By frequent jams I mean one or two out of every 10 rounds. Even the high velocity stuff is jamming now. The extracted round will stovepipe and a fresh round will be stripped and jammed halfway into the chamber which ties the pistol up. While doing a careful cleaning I noticed the ejector has what appears to be a lot of play in it, both side to side and up and down. Also the ejector looks like it is angled downward instead of being parallel with the bolt tunnel. I never paid much attention to this part before and I do not know whether this is normal or not. It looks like the ejector is crimped down on a large pin inside the bolt tunnel and it doesn't look like something you should go after without a special tool. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.
Old May 15, 2001, 02:06 AM   #2
Mikke

My ejector is very tight and pointed at the chamber, so I think you have found the problem.
Looks lite its riveted to the bolt tunnel, afraid I can't help you on how to replace or tighten it.
Old May 15, 2001, 07:15 AM   #3
old hawk

ya can call ruger and have a new ejector and rivet within 4 days for next ta zilch. the rivet can be a real pain in the ass to take out but it will come out.
here is my mk1/mk2 page for your viewing pleasure!
and now back to my coffee.also just for dahellavit see if its canted to one side,it can be bent just a tad carefully towards the port and make sure to dissasemble the bolt and clean the junk out of the area under the extractor first then try it out.
http://members.fortunecity.com/oldvalkyry/ruger.html
Old May 15, 2001, 07:25 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Labman, don't discout the extractor in this. Ejectors unless broken or missing are rarely the cause of ejection problems. Stovepiping is normally caused by lack of extractor tension, too heavy a recoil spring for the load or something slowing down the slide's travel. Generally speaking if the ejector is there and everything else is correct it will eject. George
Old May 15, 2001, 01:13 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Magazine lips

I had a similar problem with a Mark II. It turned out that the magazine lips had become "loose" and the fresh round was being released too soon in the cycle, before the spent round had cleared the chamber. If your extractor and extractor spring are functioning correctly, try a new mag or one that you're sure works reliably. The lips can be carefully bent closer together with needlenose pliers, a tiny bit at a time.

Regards.
Old May 16, 2001, 11:50 AM   #6
Lefty

Clean your magazines!!!

22 LRs are notorious for being "dirty", cleaning the magazines is one sure fire way to tell whether it's truly the gun or not, no pun intended.

Tight groups!!
Old May 16, 2001, 11:46 PM   #7
Labman

The pistol and magazines are spotless. I just bought a new Ruger brand mag a few weeks ago and the pistol jams with all magazines. I am going to have my local gunsmith take a look at it and see if he can tighten up the ejector to see it it helps. The extractor seems to have some pretty good spring to it and it does not look worn or misshaped. Thanks for all the suggestions.