The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2001, 10:17 AM   #1
salukijoe

Redding, Lyman or RCBS? I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you.
Old May 1, 2001, 10:50 AM   #2
Bogie

Harrell.

Old May 1, 2001, 12:18 PM   #3
salukijoe

Thanks Bogie but I feel Harell's are too expensive for a turret. Good machine though. I may just go with a Dillon AT500 and upgrade as my needs change. I'm curious if anyone has had any problems or would like to provide any praises for any the 3 turret products listed above.

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2001, 01:45 PM   #4
Steve Smith

I recently added a Lyman turret to my bench. It sits about 3 feet away from my Dilon 550B. I chose to add the turret in order to handle many individual tasks. For example, I have collet type bullet pullers, and primer pocket swages set up on the turret head, along with a few other items. These dies jsut don't "fit" into the prgressive process well, so I use the turret so I can have them all pre-set up. I said all that to say this: Even though the Dillon AT is a good way to "work up" to a 550b, I'm not sure if it's the best. You can ALWAYS use a turret on your bench as well as the 550B. Perhaps you should get the turret first, and buy a complete 550B or RCBS 2000 later on. just my 2 cents.

BTW, I like the Lyman turrets...the Harrel is more than likely overkill for most needs.

Also, shop Ebay for good prices.
Old May 1, 2001, 02:06 PM   #5
salukijoe

Thanks for your input Steve.
Old May 1, 2001, 07:17 PM   #6
Swamp Yankee

Picked up a RCBS Turret Press about a month ago. Previous to that all my reloading was done on a couple of single stages. Have not used it much, I ran one batch of 200, .44 Specials through it. Definately quicker than the single stage. In short I haven't enough experience on it so I would feel comfortable reccommending it, but I am pleased to this point. It is very well made, typical RCBS.
One additional comment, I did not fool with the priming mechanism and tubes. That looks like a nightmare waiting in the wings. I may be wrong, but I still use a hand priming tool off the press.
Take Care
Old May 1, 2001, 07:48 PM   #7

I have a Lyman T-Mag II that I would be willing to part with if anyone is in the market.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 1, 2001, 07:50 PM   #8
MADISON

Territ presses?

I have the following presses set up and, that are used...:
RCBS Rock Chucker
Hornady Pro-Jector
3 Lyman T-Mags

The WIFE loads on...:
4 Lyman T-Mags

This will tell you, that we like Lyman presses. Some of their other stuff is NOT worth having. Also, a check of the reloading supply sellers indicate they are the cheapest in price.

MADISON
Old May 1, 2001, 08:03 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Save your pennies a little longer, and get the Dillon 550B and skip the AT.

By the time you outfit the 550AT to be a 550B, you will have spent a lot more money than you should have.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 1, 2001, 08:51 PM   #10
mbott

Lyman T-Mag II here also. Over the last 4 years, I've accumulated 6 turret heads for it: four were from a friend who didn't need them any more. If I reloaded more, I'd probably upgrade, but with the amount I do, this is the perfect setup.

--
Mike
Old May 1, 2001, 10:31 PM   #11
salukijoe

Excellent feedback - thanks everyone.

Madison, what Lyman products should I NOT consider for purchase?
Old May 2, 2001, 03:14 PM   #12
BAD_KARMA

Spend 50 bucks and get a Lee turret press without the auto index. New turrets cost less then $10.00 and can be changed with no tools in under 30 seconds. If you want to upgrade later you just buy a new press and keep the Lee for loading small lots. Loading 50 7mm mag shells on a progessive is not worth the trouble. you can also buy a complete set of shell holders for the Lee for $15.00 but one comes with each set of Lee dies.
Old May 2, 2001, 07:39 PM   #13
Steve Smith

NOW HANG ON!!! 444, I tried like h@ll to buy that press off of you, but nooooooooooo you wanted to keep it! I say no one is allowed to buy it!

Just kidding!
Old May 2, 2001, 09:56 PM   #14
chemical_grenadier

Get the Dillon RL550B

My suggestion?

Get the progressive press. You can use it as a turret press, if you prefer loading things one stage at a time.

My choice (since I already own one) is the Dillon RL550B. Yes, you can get the AT500 turret press, but it doesn't save you much. By the time you get the powder dispenser, the primer feeding kit, and a few other things, you have already spent a good deal more than what you could have had you bought the RL550B in the first place.

The Hornady Lock and Load progressive press is also a good machine.

Old May 3, 2001, 09:05 AM   #15
MADISON

Question...Wanat not to buy?

salukijoe:
When we bought our Lyman presses we went with their dies. Soon after that we started breaking decaping pins. A closer look told us they HAD FLOATING DECAPING PINS. We switched to Hornady DIES.
MADISON
Old May 4, 2001, 07:33 PM   #16
Nanaimo Barr

Bad Karma, was that $10.00 turret head for Lyman? I checked their site and there going for $35.00 or there abouts.. and I got my eye on 2 at my gun pushers and he wants $20.00 each, if I can find then for $10.00 each I gotta grab some

(New reloader, gotta keep my wife in Bullets...)

Old May 4, 2001, 07:46 PM   #17
BAD_KARMA

Lee turrets are under 10.
Old May 6, 2001, 04:18 PM   #18
Nanaimo Barr

ok, is that what I should offer my gun pusher? or should I be looking elsewhere?