The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 16, 2016, 05:08 PM   #1
Model12Win

M590A1 at the range

Got my M590A1 trench gun out to the range today. I fired a total of about 100 rounds of full-power 00 buckshot loads. Most were Remington 9 pellet standard, 10 of them were Hornady's 8 pellet "light magnum" load which grouped pretty good. Here is the result of a couple of tubes of 00:

The target was blown clean in half and fell down. I continued to pump rounds into it, blasting a big divot into the ground behind the target. It's been a while since I've fired a 12 gauge with 00. Not only did I forget the power, but also the recoil! My shoulder is a bit tender now!!

All in all the Mossberg shot everything perfectly. No reliability issues whatsoever. I had a great time. Guys, take your shotguns to the range and put them through their paces!

Godspeed
Old July 16, 2016, 06:45 PM   #2
amd6547

I have an old Mossberg 500 riot with 18" barrel and heat shield which is my "trench gun". It's a blast to run through some buckshot at the range, and it stands in the corner at home, loaded with low recoil Federal FliteControl #1.
Old July 16, 2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I think i can identify a problem with your target stand design
Old July 16, 2016, 07:47 PM   #4
bamaranger

Ya got him!
Old July 16, 2016, 08:20 PM   #5
smee78

Looks good, at what distance were you shooting at? Looks like it patterned well. I got a new to me Remington 870 with a new 20" barrel I need to try/pattern out. How did you like the Hornady 8 pellet "light magnum" load, I have though about trying a few, right now I use the Federal low recoil rounds in my Mossy 500A for "homework".
Old July 16, 2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Model12Win

Quote:
Looks good, at what distance were you shooting at? Looks like it patterned well. I got a new to me Remington 870 with a new 20" barrel I need to try/pattern out. How did you like the Hornady 8 pellet "light magnum" load, I have though about trying a few, right now I use the Federal low recoil rounds in my Mossy 500A for "homework".
It was about 12 yards. I really like the Hornady load. It is 8 pellets of 00 buckshot but they are traveling 1600 FPS and use a flite control style wad design. It was grouping about twice as tight as the Remington 00 buck I was mainly using. I also believe it uses hardened plated buckshot. Good stuff.