The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 7, 2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Carlo

Walther or GSG 1911?

Hello, I'm after a good 22 LR version of the venerable 1911. I've seen a couple of interesting guns: one is the Walther 1911 and the other is the GSG. I would, at first glance, favor the Walther, because it can be had in a milspec attire, which I prefer. The GSG, however, seems well made and I could replace just those parts that are too "custom" for my taste (such as the extended, hooked grip safety).
Have you tried them? Which one do you think is more reliable and accurate?

Thanks

Carlo
Old October 7, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If by Walther you mean the Colt/Umarex, I have shot them both. Accuracy is about the same, and both are good (and neither is a bullseye pistol).

The Colt does not field strip like a 1911. The barrel is an integral part of a riser that's cast into the frame. I suspect that actually helps accuracy, but it's too non-1911 for my taste.

M1911.org tested both in their e-zine awhile back ...

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=124

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=86

I also tried the Kimber Rimfire, but it's ALL aluminum and doesn't weigh enough to feel like you're shooting a real gun. I finally decided to go with a basic conversion kit and use it on a steel 1911 receiver so there's some weight. Kimber sells a conversion kit as well as the complete pistol. Accuracy is very good -- but it only comes with adjustable rear sights, which isn't strictly "GI" in appearance.

I see you are in Italy. I'm not certain, but I believe there are a couple of .22 caliber 1911 conversions available in Europe that are not sold in the U.S. Have you investigated conversions?

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; October 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
PSP

My GSG did not crack and has proven to be a surprisingly accurate pistol. I've enjoyed it a bunch. Takedown is a lttle clunky, but the gun is pretty well made, the magazines are robust and it's been good to go with minimags, (all I've used so far).

I've only fondled the Umarex, but it looked to be very comparable. Either will probably suit your needs.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
JustinBiscuit

Although not a 1911, the S&W m&p .22 is by far the best .22 pistol available.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Carlo

Thanks guys.