The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 30, 2009, 09:17 PM   #51
evenflow80

Wow, a S&W 629.... someone is feeling lucky I guess

Its an amazing revolver. Never really had the luck to shoot one, but its probably the most famous and well known .44 Mag out there. I'd kill for one in a 6" barrel, or even an 8".

What was the barrel length of the one you saw??

I've only seen two 629's at my local gun shops, both were $1000+, both looked new. I didn't bother looking any closer because its a bit over my budget right now.

So my initial guess is that, yes, that's a good price, but you didn't specify the barrel length or whether it was used or new, which obviously makes a huge difference.
Old December 30, 2009, 09:29 PM   #52
S&W Kinda Guy

To evenflow80

It was slightly used, and I think the barrel length was either 4 or 5 inches, possibly 6...
Old December 31, 2009, 12:30 AM   #53
jad0110

Quote:
I saw a Ruger Redhawk listed at $460 used in great condition, see them around $650 new.
Figure on $475 +/1 $50 for a solid used Ruger Redhawk. They aren't as refined as a S&W 29/629, IMHO, but they are still very solid, reliable guns. And they are pretty heavy, so they absorb recoil pretty well. Certainly heavy kicking, but it isn't painful at all, at least to me.

I lucked out and bought a 5.5" stainless Redhawk .44 Mag earlier this year from an individual for about $235 .

They are also made in .45 Colt. Not sure about other chamberings.
Old December 31, 2009, 01:07 AM   #54
Hook686

If that is the full lug 6-1/2" 629 Classic, then $700 seems about right for California on a used handgun. A new one will set you back more like $900. I find the ported 6-1/2" 629 Classic is a really fine revolver to shoot full power loads in (I've never fired an unported model 629). It is comfortable to shoot and lighter loads, like Speer 200 grain Short Barrel rounds, or CCI Blazer 240 grain rounds, seem more like a .38+P than a .44 magnum. Then again the heavy frame handles Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 magnum loads if you are into hunting. My #1 choice in a multi-purpose handgun for rural California.

Bud's http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...ssic&x=14&y=14 has a new 5" 629 Classic listed for for $754. A new 629 6" 629 list for $727 is also listed.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; December 31, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old December 31, 2009, 01:29 AM   #55
Lost Sheep

Nice inventory

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W Kinda Guy

I only been an avid shooter for a couple of years, My friend who I go hunting with and shooting with owns MANY MANY guns, I've shot many of his 45's, 44's, AR's, and even his .50 caliber rifle(which left me deaf for a week)

I would just be using it at the range a couple of times a month just to shoot.

I own a S&W M&P-15, a S&W Sigma Series in .40, .308, and a Russian M44.
S&W Kinda Guy is online now Report Post
Looking at your roster of calibers, I would say that, rather than a 44, 22 and 22 would be in order. Say, a nice revolver and a nice semi-auto. Cheap to feed, LOADS of fun. Or, a reloading setup. Enough said about my unsolicited opinions.

For a good condition used gun, $800 sounds a little high to me. If it's a new gun, then it is about right, at around $200 below MSRP. Depending on what the market is like in your area, it might be a bargain, since demand is highly variable. I never owned a Model 29, but did have a Model 28 (same gun chambered in .357 Magnum and not as nice a finish) for a while. It was a great shooter.

The older used guns without the internal, infernal lock are probably going to be commanding a premium, if not now, soon. If you can find a good, tight one with little wear, you will be happy. Me, I am happier with my Rugers. Action not as slick and not as pretty, but strong, like an anvil. (OK, proselytizing mode, off. More Rugers for me.)

To get a better idea of market value, go to GunBroker.com or some of the other auction sites and see what buyers are bidding.

Lost Sheep.

Tags
.44 magnum , revolver