The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 9, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
OverTime

Rem700 .243-Build Help

I am putting together my first rifle and I need some help. I am a shotgun hunter, who puts the gun away between seasons, but I want to get into coyote hunting and target shooting; trouble is I don’t have anyone to teach me the ins and outs of setting up an accurate rifle.
I have a new Remington 700 SPS Varmint chambered in .243 WIN and a new Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 SF MilDot. I now need help choosing an appropriate set of base and rings.
If you guys could offer me some advice on specific products it would be most appreciated. Furthermore, if you could give me any instruction/warnings about properly putting the rig together, that would also be welcomed.
Bipods, trigger, firing pin, stock, bedding, DBM are all things that I hope to do in the next year or two as funds allow. But getting the rifle functional is my first priority.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:43 PM   #2
fyimo

I bought a Remington CDL in 35 Whelen about three weeks ago and I bought Leupold rings and bases from Cabelas and they are super strong and rigid. I have them on lots of my rifles and they have never failed me yet. I bought the medium rings and they work fine for a scope with a 40mm objective lens. If you scope has 50mm objective lens then you need the high rings.

I just bought a used CZ 550 American 22-250 and I'm scoping it with a Nikon Coyote Varmint 4.5x14x40mm and I think you are going to really like your scope. I got lucky on mine as most of the coyote series has a camo finish but mine is matte black to match the action on my rifle.

Enjoy your setup and have fun.

The Remington rifles have an adjustable trigger and my gunsmith charged me $10 to adjust it down to 3 pounds. He said he could have made it lighter but thats as low as I like to go on a hunting rifle. If you don't like the trigger after it's adjusted then you can buy a aftermarket trigger and adjust it the way you want it.

I wouldn't worry about the bedding thing until you shoot it and see how it groupd. If it's shooting sub moa groups I'd leave it alone.

The stock is the same answer as the trigger. If you don't dislike the factory stock and the gun shoots lights out leave it alone.

You can go with shooting sticks or bipod. If you go with a bipod Harris makes a great one and I'd get the tall. That way you can use it either in the prone or sitting position.

Last edited by fyimo; November 9, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:51 PM   #3
OverTime

base configuration

On a Model 700 is it better to go with a one piece or two piece base? Picatinny, Weaver, Reddfield, or other style? What rings would go with the base that you recommend?

It is a 40mm objective, and its a short action. I was thinking medium height, 1" rings, but I don't know which manufacturer and model is best for my purposes. I've never bought any of these components before and I want to buy good quality the first time around. Can I satisfy these obejectives for $100?
Old November 9, 2009, 01:02 PM   #4
fyimo

I went with the Leupold two piece with a solid base and the rings that attach and lock into the base. I have found this to be the best and they are less then $75 in fact I think they were around $50 but I could be wrong. The medimum rings will work well with the 40mm objective lens scope and provide plenty of clearence.

You will get other responses but this is my 2 cents worth after 39 years of shooting. The Redfield rings and bases are very similar to the Leupold but Redfield is no longer in business.
Old November 9, 2009, 01:28 PM   #5
taylorce1

I agree I'd get the scope mounted and see how it shoots before doing anything else to the rifle.
Old November 9, 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
buymore

I went with Weaver two piece bases and Weaver quad-lok rings($10.62 @ Walmart). I figure the .243 recoil isn't enough to present any need for super strong rings! You can get steel rign, but your base will most likely be aluminum, so what did you gain? I originally bought Weaver see-thru bases when I thought I may be going with a larger objective scope, but when I got the scope I wanted, I didn't need the high rings and no need to see-thru to a barrel with no sights! My only problem these days with high dollar rings and bases is I am finding more and more of them coming from the sale place.....CHINA! I have had just as bad/good luck with cheapies from China as name branded versions from China that I paid a premium for!

Last edited by buymore; November 9, 2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old November 9, 2009, 05:56 PM   #7
garryc

Tough as nails. Most abuse comes from handling

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4..._A_Scope_Mount

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...T_trade__RINGS
Old November 10, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Oilburner350

I like the Burris Zee Signature rings and weaver mounts for my rifles. The inserts make it easy to mount the scope and protect it from scratches or misalignment. I have the Burris Signature rings in dual dovetail mounts (medium height) on my Stainless 70 Classic .30-06. The scope is a 3.5-10 x 40 Leupold Vari-X III
Old November 10, 2009, 05:56 PM   #9
OverTime

Rings/Bases - Check ... What's Next?

I went with an EGW Picatinny base and Burris Extreme Tactical rings. I bought them all from Optics Planet; I couldn't find another site that beat their prices and it's free shipping.

My only concerns about these two products are from warnings that I read in other forums about using low cost aluminum rings and bases, and the quality of the screws that come with the EGW base. I don't know if these are even relevant since I'm shooting the mild recoiling .243 WIN.

What do I need to start planning for? Any good advice for setting up this rig? What should be my next purchase?

Thanks for all the help...keep it coming
Old November 10, 2009, 06:12 PM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
What do I need to start planning for? Any good advice for setting up this rig? What should be my next purchase?
Ammunition of several differnt grain bullets, and 100 yard zero targets. You are ready to shoot. You don't need to do anything else until you shoot that rifle.
Old November 17, 2009, 04:36 PM   #11
OverTime

Not a proper weld

Rifle was purchased today. Pretty excited.... The set up was done for me at the shop, and I realize now that I probably should have purcahsed low Rings for the Burris XTs. The barrel/objective clearance is about 5/8". The comb is low and I can't get a proper cheek weld with scope alignment

It looks like I am going to have to buy a riser of some sort. Any reccomendations for aftermarket cheek-pieces or similar products with pouches? I have seen the Blackhawks, Accu-Risers, and Karsten/Kydex which I read about in the forums. I am leaning towards a Karsten.
Old November 17, 2009, 05:39 PM   #12
2damnold4this

Why not just get some different rings?
Old November 17, 2009, 07:06 PM   #13
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Scope Mounting

Always go with rings that put the scope as close to the bore as possible . watch the bolt handle , you need to clear that too . Don't add anything to the stock thats rinky dink . Go to wally world and get the right rings . They're probably the only thing an the store that might be made in the U.S.A.
Old November 17, 2009, 07:45 PM   #14
V.Hunter

I have never understood why people buy all of this tactical this and that for their hunting rifles. Everyone still makes plain old standard bases and rings for a reason, they work and work well.

One of my favorite ring base combinations for a short action Remington is a one piece standard base and rings.

You don’t always want to go as low as possible. You want to be able to shoulder the rifle in your normal manner and be looking right down the center of the scope. You may be able to get by with low rings as far as simply mounting the scope but you may need medium rings to obtain proper alignment.

Tags
.243 , build , project , remington 700