The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1
oneloudvous

Micro Desert Eagle

How is this gun? I know .380 is hard to find but when it comes around im considering a pocket pistol.
Old August 9, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2
DGTigers

I own the Micro Desert Eagle and have put about 500rds through it so far without a problem. It seems to be very well made and reliable.

It's definitely a lot heavier than the LCP or P3AT, but to some people that might be a good thing. I don't mind the extra heft as I was always a little wary of the effectiveness of the .380 round so I wanted to get something that would have no problem handling the hottest load I could find for it. I currently carry the buffalo bore JHP in it. That round is definitely hotter than anything else I have used, but the Micro Eagle handles it just fine. The DAO trigger is long and heavy, but consistent. I would consider it very accurate for a pocket gun, although it is not one that you'll want to put hundreds of rounds through at a time as it's not the most comfortable to shoot.

If you don't mind or prefer the extra weight and thickness that the Micro Eagle has compared to the LCP or P3AT, I think that it's a great gun.
Old August 9, 2009, 06:09 PM   #3
oneloudvous

I though about a P3AT but i dont know the LCP and MDE appeal to me a lot more. Some people have had rust issues with their LCP and Im moving to FL and i know some days im not going to want to carry IWB or not going to be able to due to the heat, so looking for a pocket pistol to go with whatever else i choose to carry normally(probably a G26.). Did you get yours new? and if you dont mind how much did you pay?
Old August 10, 2009, 12:15 AM   #4
DGTigers

I believe I paid $475 for mine and yes, I got it new. The fit and finish of the micro eagle and the lcp are definitely better than the P3AT. That might matter to some, but I have heard that the LCP and the P3AT are virtually the same pistol. I haven't got the chance to shoot either one yet though.
Old August 10, 2009, 12:23 AM   #5
Skan21

Quote:
I own the Micro Desert Eagle and have put about 500rds through it so far without a problem. It seems to be very well made and reliable.
I call shenanigans! Where on earth did you find 500 rounds of .380!? J/K man. I've held one before, and it seemed pretty solid. I'm glad it shoots nice too. Maybe I'll look for a used one in a year or so.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 10, 2009, 12:50 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The P3AT and LCP are locked breech designs. They will handle much more powerful ammunition than the blowback Micro Desert Eagle.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:19 AM   #7
ChicagoTex

Quote:
I have heard that the LCP and the P3AT are virtually the same pistol.
Depends on how you qualify that "virtually". They are similar designs, similar in size, using similar materials, chambered in the same cartridge. If that's your definition of "virtually the same", then Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps are also "virtually the same" - the devil is in the details, ergonomics and tuning.

While some seem to have had no problem with their Kel-Tecs, many report reliability problems (and I still have yet to see a single Kel-Tec on my shooting range make it through two mags without a stoppage), on the flipside I've yet to meet anyone who claimed their LCP was unreliable. Moreover, even Kel-Tec fans will confess the LCP's ergonomics are generally superior.

I've met a few people who've told me they had a P3AT that has proven itself and they'll stick with it, rather than go to an LCP - I don't see a problem with that, but if you're buying a new one, it would seem your odds are noticeably better with an LCP.

"Virtually the same"? That's sour grapes nonsense Kel-Tec fanboys make up.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:34 AM   #8
NWCP

The LCP is a P3AT with a better fit and finish. They are the same basic design. Neither are particularly comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time. Both fit in a loose trouser pocket nicely. I'd go with a subcompact 9mm rather than a Micro Desert Eagle. You might be surprised how small and light the 9s are getting. Some might even be more compact, lighter and have a better DAO trigger. JMHO
Old August 10, 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Too heavy, and too fat~! :barf:
Old August 10, 2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Bart Noir

The Micro comes with a sticker on the left side warning you not to get your supporting hand out in front of the muzzle

Maybe there is such a thing as being too small.

And you sure are not going to accidentally fire it. It takes a sturdy tug on that trigger to deliberately fire it.

But it seems strong as can be. A hefty feel for so small a gun.

Bart Noir
Old August 10, 2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Again, this exemplifies something that I say often: people equate weight with quality.
Weight is a quality you need in an anvil, not a pocket pistol.
The MDE looks to be a fairly well made little gun, but it's desiogn precludes it being made of anything other than steel (very much like the NAA autos.) It is a simple blow-back auto with a D/A mechanism. The frame must be steel for the lockwork to be remotely durable. The slide must have sufficient mass for blowback operation.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:47 PM   #12
JeffSSig

Being about 4 oz more heavy than the LCP it isnt that much. Size is almost the same. EXCEPT the Micro is built around the triger guard thus it will let me shoot it more and not bust my knuckle as the LCP will.
I love both.
Fit and finish goes to the Micro
Accuracy is almost a toss up with the edge to the LCP
Both are reliable
Price is never a issue.

I also Love the Sig P238 it is only 5oz more than the LCP with alot less recoil.

But to each his own and I own one of each.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Singlesix1954

I like my LCP and carry it all the time. I don't care for the MDE. I shot a friends, and it did well. I just think the thing is ugly. Kind of like a Pug, I have a yellow Lab. If you like Pugs then more power to you. I don't. Buy what you want not what others think is "tactcool". Do buy something. The more good guys we got carying the les bad guys are going to try to pull.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old August 11, 2009, 10:35 AM   #14
capcap

Watch for Slide Cracks

I have one of the first ones and I had a problem. On the first trip to the range the slide cracked, right under the barrel. Less than 100 rounds fired. I am not sure if it cracked on the first shot or the last, I only noticed it when I went to clean the gun after I was through.

I sent it back to the factory, and I was told they had a bad batch of slides. After receiving it back I have fired about 250 rounds with no further problems. Corbon Power Ball works great.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:49 PM   #15
DGTigers

I just checked the Magnum Research site and noticed that they have wood grips available on there now.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:53 PM   #16
JeffSSig

Yes they have had wood grips for sometime now.
I thought this thread needed a few images.

Old August 11, 2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Tom2

OMG! Looks like a DAO Lorcin, to me!
Old August 11, 2009, 03:06 PM   #18
ChicagoTex

Quote:
OMG! Looks like a DAO Lorcin, to me!
Maybe so, but unlike a Lorcin it's more dangerous to the person downrange than the person firing it...
Old August 11, 2009, 04:28 PM   #19
HammerBite

JeffSSig ---

Do you know who made that holster?
Old August 14, 2009, 06:07 PM   #20
dgludwig

I would like to like the gun but, as others have noted, there's nothing "micro" about the Micro. Imo, it's just too darn big and heavy for its caliber and purported purpose.
Old August 16, 2009, 01:10 PM   #21
JeffSSig

Quote:
Do you know who made that holster?
MECO did............... http://mecopocketholsters.com/
Old August 16, 2009, 01:25 PM   #22
HammerBite

JeffSSig ---

Thank you.
Old August 16, 2009, 04:37 PM   #23
towncarblue

i personally do not like firing this gun [ micro desert eagle] the trigger pull is too much. i like the way it looks thats why i bought it . this gun is terrible for self defense because of the trigger pull .

is there any way to mod the trigger without a the use of a gunsmith?
Old August 16, 2009, 04:43 PM   #24
ChicagoTex

Quote:
is there any way to mod the trigger without a the use of a gunsmith?
As you seem to be complaining about the trigger pull WEIGHT rather than the trigger pull smoothness (or absence thereof), there's almost certainly nothing a gunsmith could do that wouldn't compromise the reliability of the gun.

If it's so hard for you, you're probably best off simply selling it and chalking this experience up to a reminder that buying a gun on looks can often lead to disappointment.
Old August 16, 2009, 04:52 PM   #25
towncarblue

its not the pull weight or the smoothness im complaining about ...
its the trigger pull travel . i want a shorter pull