The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 21, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1
SFC Hall

I got ripped off on Ebay on grips

a member here posted some checkered grips I liked. He had gotten them from ebay, I looked and picked out a nice set... the ones in the picture are NOT the ones I received... the guy won’t return my email. I will send them back, but I'm probably out my $30. (if you go cheap, you get cheap, I'll never learn)

Just thought I'd let you know... this guy takes a picture of his very best, then sends you what ever.... I hate liars

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1
Old February 21, 2007, 05:05 PM   #2
SW_fan

report that to ebay. You can get your money back.

You will have to go through a big process, but if the seller is not making an effort to appease you, you should have a good chance of getting a refund.
Old February 21, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
roadrash

Just list them back on E-bay,list a buy it now $1 less than the seller you got them from,charge a dollar more for shipping!
Old February 21, 2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Sturmgewehre

Always pay with a credit card, preferably through PayPal. That way if you don't get what you paid for, you can reverse charges.
Old February 21, 2007, 05:08 PM   #5
SFC Hall

I wouldn't put them on my gun, I wouldn't sell them to someone else... besides, no grain... the checkering isn't stamped uniformily... it does NOT look good...
Old February 21, 2007, 05:12 PM   #6
sasquatch

Make sure you post NEGATIVE feedback. That's the only thing which hurts idiots like him.
Old February 21, 2007, 05:26 PM   #7
SFC Hall

I did and I filed a complaint.... BUT, that just means he will leave me a negitive feedback... and ebay makes money off him, so I really don't think the complaint will go anywhere either...
Old February 21, 2007, 05:29 PM   #8
sasquatch

Yeah, I underestand the negative feedback "retaliation" thing. But potential bidders usually read both sides, especially if they see multiple negatives on a seller.
Old February 21, 2007, 06:35 PM   #9
RUT

I wouldn't buy anything from someone who had 82 negative feedbacks!!!
Old February 21, 2007, 07:01 PM   #10
ATW525

I saw that guy when I was looking for a pair of magna style panels for my M29... one look at his feedback was all I needed to know to make up my mind I wouldn't buy a darn thing from the guy.
Old February 21, 2007, 08:07 PM   #11
chupps

I've been buying/selling on ebay for several years and I did check out the link you posted. It is unfortunate that people do get cheated, but it may not be too late to get satisfaction. Consider this: The seller does have a 98.9% positive feedback. Not bad considering he has received feedback on 7,572 transactions. Not everyone leaves feedback, so this guy is doing alot of selling. Also consider that he has 739 items up for auction. My point is this guy might be in over his head. Can you imagine the number of emails he must get? Since your auction ended around 2/11 he might not have caught up with all his issues. I had an experience with a large volume seller that never shipped a product paid for with a postal money order. It took months to resolve, but eventually he made good. He was way in over his head and could not keep track of all his transactions. I'd do my best to get a phone number. Perhaps you could try a reverse phone lookup on the internet based on the address where you sent payment? Don't give up on the emails. Good Luck.
Old February 21, 2007, 10:56 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Moving to retail deals & feedback for a wider distribution...
Old February 21, 2007, 11:21 PM   #13
SFC Hall

chupps, he had time... he replied to my email... I was very courteous and wanted to resolve this amicably... he called me an idiot.

Fact: he said "THIS set of grips have never been on a gun" and below that showed a picture of the grips...

Fact: he did NOT send the grip pictured...

he would not return my emails (maybe he was backed up) but when I did get an email, he called me names... idiot, a liar, no class...

I was thinking it was a mistake until then. as you said, he has sold a lot, so I didn't read the ratings... now that I have, I see the majority deal with the exact same issue... bait and switch.

he is a cheat and he knows it. I left him a negative and received on in return. I have also filed a grievance with ebay.
Old February 22, 2007, 12:11 AM   #14
Nortonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Hall
besides, no grain... the checkering isn't stamped uniformily... it does NOT look good...
Stamped??!!

Ummm, was that $25 for one side only? 'cause ya sure don't get a pair of brand new, distinctive, nicely marbled, hand checkered, wood grips for $25 these days, unless ya got a good friend that "don't need 'em after all".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT
I wouldn't buy anything from someone who had 82 negative feedbacks!!!
What if he had just two bad feedbacks out of 197 - would you consider buying then?
Old February 22, 2007, 12:24 AM   #15
theberettaman

Funny how all negitive feedback replys always include the words,No Class and Liar. Seems odd. Some sort of overly high self since of worth I guess.
Old February 22, 2007, 09:01 AM   #16
Geohff

I was ready to defend this seller (having had an Ebay store) because of his high positive feedback. But the two things 1) Every complaint was the same "Bait and Switch" 2) He attacked each negitive post calling them liars and classless instead of explaining what might have have happened. Very poor business ethic!

I would point this out in my appeal to Ebay to have you case resolved and your negitive feedback removed. Also most important always take the high road, be honest with the facts, do not insult or get angry (even if your fairly sure his breath stinks) dont mention it
Old February 22, 2007, 12:52 PM   #17
TampaJim

Ebay grips

Funny, I bought grips from that guy for my Hi Power. "Browning Hi-Power Exotic Rosewood Grips New Smooth Set". The auction picture looked great and the listing stated "THIS set never been mounted".
I guess that meant the set in the picture, not the set I was buying, because when I received them, they looked like they were finished by an apprentice as practice.
-The screw holes were ragged and out-of-round, like they were carved with an awl instead of drilled.
-On one panel there were scratches in the wood around the screw hole that appeared to be beneath the finish.
-On that same panel, near the screw hole, there was a fingerprint smudge in the finish where they touched it before it was dry.
-On the other panel, there was a long (maybe 2 in.) scratch. It was light and not real obvious, but it was there.

On the other hand, the grip panels fit the pistol extremely well. Nice tight tolerances, no clearance issues. So, the blanks are well made, but the finish?...........

I sent an email explaining my dissatisfaction and asked to return them in exchange for another set. Received a reply from the from the seller that said:
"Sure" (that's it) and a return address. After I mailed them back, I waited 2 weeks and sent another email asking if they had received the return and sent out the replacements. Received no reply, so after another week, I sent an email asking about the status. Received a reply the next day and all it said was "A full Paypal refund was issued." I never bothered to leave feedback, because I really don't think it matters to them anyway..

So, althought this seller was very slow to reply, ultimately a happy ending.
Except that I am still looking for some reasonably priced, good looking, wood grips for my Hi Power.........

Jim
Old February 22, 2007, 01:15 PM   #18
TampaJim

picture of grip panel

This pic kinda shows what I was explaining in my previous post. Sorry, it's pretty large and the detail is scary.

Old February 22, 2007, 01:17 PM   #19
sksmatt

I bought a set of 1911 grips from him a while back and they were very poor quality. They didn't really look like the ones in the picture, but I bought them for a shooter so I just kept them; at $15 the price was right. Now I realize after reading several posts and his negative feedback, I think the grips he sells are just low quality.
Old February 22, 2007, 08:24 PM   #20
allenomics

I only pay with PayPal, by credit card when using eBay. Here are my suggestions...

-Issue the seller negative feedback.
-Report the fraud to eBay (it has an interest in protecting its community of buyers/sellers.)
-Take a digital photo of the item you received so eBay can make an objective comparision.
-If you used PayPal (hopefully you paid by PayPal) report the violation.
-Dispute the purchase to your credit card company. So, don't resell the item just yet.

Only buy from eBay sellers who have at leat 98% positive feeback. Sellers with a feedback total of over 500 transactions or who are PowerSellers with insurance (up to $2,000) are generally quite reliable. Never send cash. I also never make purchases from sellers based outside the continental USA.
Old February 22, 2007, 08:58 PM   #21
Mike1951

I bought an inexpensive item from him back in May.

Four days later and after three emails, he finally responded with one word, 'Relax' and the shipping info. I did get it and it was as represented.

Mike
Old February 23, 2007, 09:12 AM   #22
TampaJim

paypal

+1 for what allenomics said.

I always use paypal. It's your best defense if a deal goes sour on Ebay. If there is something I want/need and the seller does not accept paypal, they better have 100% feedback and the item better not be expensive or I won't risk my money.

With this guy, although I thought the time span for response/action was excessive, I wasn't really worried if he would make good or not. I kept records of all communications and the deal went thru paypal to begin with, so I had some recourse. As for feedback, I did not want to start a war of words with the seller and end up with a negative from him as retribution. I just wrote them off as not caring and won't buy from them again.

SFC Hall, let us know if/when you get your money back.

Jim
Old April 13, 2007, 08:26 AM   #23
TampaJim

Ebay grips

SFC Hall, I'm curious to know if you got your money back from Barsony?

Thanks,
Jim
Old April 13, 2007, 07:52 PM   #24
jbrown

paypal sucks

I got ripped off on ebay and paypal wouldnt do anything.I gave him negative feed back and he gave it back,my only negative.He ripped off dozens more people the same way,before switching identities to who knows what.I wont use them again .