The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2016, 10:10 AM   #1
JERRYS.

mossberg O/U "tactical" comments sought...

I see that Mossberg has an over/under tactical shotgun. one trigger, short bbls, light/optic rails.....

does anyone have one of these? what are your comments on it? reduced recoil buck shot and no manipulation needed for action make it seem worthy of consideration for a home defense gun for a non-gun savvy person.

thanks.
Old July 21, 2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Sharkbite

I picked one up a cpl weeks ago on a lark. Ive used it to teach exactly 1 class so far. Its a pretty good gun for the price, but it does have a cpl drawbacks that will keep me from using it as a serious defensive gun.

1. No ejection of fired hulls. I understand that automatic ejectors cost more and would add to the price of the gun. On a serious use gun they are almost mandatory. On any shotgun (low ammo capacity), the rule is shoot 1..load 1. On this gun with only 2 shots onboard that tactic is even MORE vital. If you fire 1 shot, not only is 1/2 your ammo gone but you only have ONE left.

Auto ejectors would make that process MUCH easier.

2. The pendulum safety "could" cause problems in a true "tactical" situation. They dont come into play until the gun is pointed down at a pretty steep angle, so shooting down a flight of stairs CAN be done. However, they activate when the gun is rolled on its side as well.

So shooting under cars and such from a rolled over prone position is hit or miss(). If the gun is not rolled past 90degrees your fine. Past 90- no workie. The same is true if the gun is upside down...think Supine, shooting behind you

Now, granted those are pretty extream ends of the defensive shooting spectrum...but what if thats what you NEED to do?

3. It is proving VERY hard to find/mount a sling to this little beastie. For an indoor HD gun, thats not an issue. As a general use fighting longgun, it should have a sling.

Overall i give it a 5-6 on a 10 scale for a true fighting shotgun. As a range/training gun it gets a 7. As a "hey, look at this cool scatter-blaster" it gets a 9

Last edited by Sharkbite; July 21, 2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 21, 2016, 11:20 AM   #3
natman

I have some serious doubts about using ANY double gun for HD. Sure it's better than nothing, but if there's a chance I'm going to be in a gunfight I want more than 2 rounds before I have to reload.

Secondly, having sold and assembled a LOT of Mossberg doubles, the quality is appalling. I used to hate the things because the barrel lugs were so full of machining grit that it took 20 minutes of cleaning before it opened and closed without grinding. I hate to think what the inside of the action and trigger group must be like.

For the money you would be far, far better off with a pump.
Old July 21, 2016, 11:44 AM   #4
JERRYS.

Quote:
1. No ejection of fired hulls. On a serious use gun they are almost mandatory.
Quote:
2. The pendulum safety "could" cause problems.... they activate when the gun is rolled on its side as well.

no ejectors and disabled firing pins on angle or side? thank you for the warning. not worthy of consideration for the needs I outlined.

thank you.
Old July 22, 2016, 05:57 PM   #5
FITASC

Stick to something they actually make - their pump....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 23, 2016, 06:09 AM   #6
kozak6

For the $400-500 they go for, you have an awful lot of options.

That could get you a cheap pump and at least a case of buckshot (or at least a couple cases of birdshot), or maybe a semiautomatic and no ammo.