The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2018, 08:08 PM   #1
USSR

Nice Write Up.

The local newspaper wrote a REALLY nice article in today's paper about the reloading course I offer during the winter months. Sometimes it just pays to live in a rural area where such things can take place.

http://www.the-leader.com/article/20...ORTS/181209769

Don
Old December 9, 2018, 08:45 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Nice.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:28 PM   #3
CommandoX

Nice article. 'Bout time I read something positive on guns for a change.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:58 PM   #4
zplinker

Great that you can do what you do. While working at a gun store, we considered offering a reloading class, but found it to be a difficult project. Me, having been a bench rest shooter, and with years of commercial loading background, it came down to where do we start, and where do we finish! Bottom line, it didn't appear to be a practical endeavor. Add in that reloading has been less attractive to the average shooter, these past 30 years, and it never took off. Good for you, if you can make it attractive and affordable.
Old December 10, 2018, 05:43 AM   #5
TJB101

Nice ... The libtards would have their panties in a bind if that was in the newspaper in my area.
Old December 10, 2018, 08:32 AM   #6
daboone

Good for you! Nice Article.

I've done several intro to reloading classes for couple of BSA based church groups. It's alway fun to see kids actually paying attention and willingly being involved instead having their heads buried in a cell phone. Several of their dad's have attended as well with a couple actually going on to pursue reloading and becoming friends.

Now you have got me wondering what is the liability of your class? I only do an overview/intro so I'm not teaching so I doubt I'd need to be concerned. But I like the idea of starting a class.
Old December 10, 2018, 08:57 AM   #7
USSR

Quote:
Now you have got me wondering what is the liability of your class? I only do an overview/intro so I'm not teaching so I doubt I'd need to be concerned. But I like the idea of starting a class.
The class is taught using NRA supplied course books. So, as long as you teach by the book, I would expect your personal liability would be limited. I would not recommend teaching a reloading class without NRA certification.

Don
Old December 10, 2018, 08:58 AM   #8
hounddawg

grats - the club I belong to offers the NRA class a couple of times a year. It will never make the newspaper or TV here though. Nice to see you getting some recognition
Old December 10, 2018, 07:21 PM   #9
cw308

USSR
Well done Don .For now on I'll be calling you Hollywood . It's a hobby you need a second job for, yes you can make your own reloads for less then store bought . Once there hooked it's too late . It's nice when people take an interest in something you love to do . Until the next time Hollywood , Be Well and have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season .

Chris
Old December 10, 2018, 08:39 PM   #10
USSR

Quote:
Well done Don .For now on I'll be calling you Hollywood .
I've been called a lot worse.

Don
Old December 11, 2018, 09:03 PM   #11
berettaprofessor

Exactly how I learned to reload 5 or so years ago; from an NRA certified instructor on a Saturday. You are doing a great service to all those who take it and I applaud you for it and thank my own instructor for the gift of a great relaxing hobby. I would have never learned without the course; came from a family where a B.B. gun was all that was allowed and no one even knew about reloading.
Old December 11, 2018, 09:42 PM   #12
stillquietvoice

I started loading 12 and 20 gauge shells for an older gentleman EE Keefer who shot trap and skeet at age 12. That was 40 years ago now I no longer load for scatter guns but do load 4 rifle cartridges and 3 pistol cals.
I'd love to come help you out but work 6 days a week. I'd miss most of the class between work and travel time I'm about 1.5 hours from you.

I do have 2 helpers in the reloading room my 5 yr old grand son who likes to seat the bullets and 9 yr old grand daughter that's measuring powder charges. Both are supervised and double checked so there are no accidents.

Last edited by stillquietvoice; December 11, 2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old December 11, 2018, 10:43 PM   #13
cw308

Don
Reloading is a safe hobby when followed by the book .Once the beast is on it's own and goes beyond bad things can happen , saw plenty cases stuck in chambers with the case base attached to the bolt face from those that go beyond listings .
Old December 12, 2018, 08:28 AM   #14
Dano4734

Wish I could take your course
Old December 13, 2018, 12:16 PM   #15
zeke

Congrats on sharing your experience with others!
Old December 14, 2018, 07:22 PM   #16
Grey_Lion

:-) Further the skill with years of valued experience - Bravo!