The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2021, 02:58 PM   #26
MarkCO

Quote:
Colt 1911, everything else is a copy.
In base design, yes. In quality and performance...some below and some above Colt.
Old April 20, 2021, 04:22 PM   #27
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
. Colt 1911, everything else is a copy
Funny, friend of mine thinks the same way but yet is always trying to buy my inferior Dan Wesson
Old April 20, 2021, 04:38 PM   #28
Porsche911

I own Colts. It is my preferred 1911.

I think that I have read over a thousand threads and comments over many years.

I'd say they all work well when you practice and learn the mechanics.
Old April 20, 2021, 05:01 PM   #29
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
I own Colts. It is my preferred 1911.

I think that I have read over a thousand threads and comments over many years.

I'd say they all work well when you practice and learn the mechanics.

I had a series 80 Government model that I bought new a few years back. It would eject cases right into your forehead, for multiple shooters. I sold it to a friend and last I knew a gunsmith had fixed it. Recently I went to buy a 1911 and had a choice between a used Colt Competition and a used Wilson Combat CQB. Obviously the Wilson was more money, and frankly I wanted to get the Colt to save money. The Colt was looser in the frame to slide fit than stock service pistols I have.

I think there absolutely are good Colt pistols and I think that to many Colt represents the standard of the 1911. That doesn’t mean all of them are good. The same has been true of just about any brand I’ve owned. The biggest question seems to be who has the best quality control overall and when that fails who has the best customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 20, 2021, 06:06 PM   #30
Shane Tuttle
Staff

mpolk I LOVE my Ruger SR1911. I'm not a fan of stainless, either. Yet, here I am, saying I love it. Never had a failure on it, either.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 20, 2021, 06:26 PM   #31
THEWELSHM

Remington 1911 as the earlier poster stated.

Thewelshm
Old April 20, 2021, 08:38 PM   #32
mpolk

Now that CZ has purchased Colt, hopefully the quality control will improve. Remington is no longer building guns.
Old April 20, 2021, 08:52 PM   #33
joe1347

A Bul Armory Classic is in your price range. 9mm's are hard to find now, but you should be able to find a .45 ACP.

Healy Arms in Tempe, AZ had a .45 in stock a few days ago

And http://gparms.com/1911-classic/ might still have some in stock

Old April 24, 2021, 07:57 AM   #34
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
After buying a Dan Wesson, I see it as money well spent. They compare favorably to guns selling for 3 times more money.

I don’t disagree, they’re just notably more than $1000 and that’s out of my friend’s budget.

Old April 24, 2021, 08:14 AM   #35
shafter

I've been hearing Springfield get recommended for years now as one of the best lower cost 1911s on the market. If I were to buy one I'd likely go with Springfield or Ruger.
Old April 24, 2021, 08:54 AM   #36
JDBerg

A lightly used STI Spartan V is IMHO, the best gun in the $1K budget range. A used STI Trojan, Dan Wesson Valor or Springfield TRP is probably going to be a little more than $1K, but I would certainly spend the extra money.
Old April 24, 2021, 10:39 AM   #37
tex45acp

Ive been looking for one of these for several years and finally came across one.
Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite Operator in 10mm
Old April 25, 2021, 10:25 AM   #38
chaim

If I was looking for a $1000ish (so maybe an $800-1200) 1911, there are a few manufacturers I'd look to. I won't suggest specific models since this is a pretty general question, and models would differ depending upon what features a buyer wants. Also, for me, I don't carry 1911s anymore or use them for home defense. For a defensive handgun I'd rather not have to use an external safety and rely on a DA first trigger pull or at least a striker fired gun. So, reliability isn't as big a consideration for me as accuracy, fit and finish (and other overall workmanship), looks, etc.

I'd look mainly to three makers, with another honorable mention...

Colt. They are the original so they are more collectible (even just my own pride of ownership of having the 'real deal'), and if you get a good one, they are beautiful guns.

Springfield Armory. I've always liked their 1911s. Great blend of accuracy, beauty and reliability.

Kimber. I know they aren't as good, or as popular, as they were before the Kimber II changes almost 20 years ago. Still, they are some of the prettiest guns in their price range, they are well put together (fit and finish, not necessarily quality control and reliability) and accurate. Since it will never be a defensive gun for me and "just" a range toy, I'm OK with needing to clear a malfunction once or twice in a range session for a very accurate and good looking gun.

Honorable Mention: S&W
I have a 1st gen S&W 1911SC. Love the gun. 100% reliable, very accurate, well made. The finish on the 1st gen leaves a little to be desired, but it doesn't matter. The main reason it is an honorable mention and not on my main list... S&W makes so many other guns that (like many) their 1911s seem like they were just jumping on the 1911 bandwagon when they introduced them (same reason SIG 1911s and the Ruger 1911 aren't on my list either). Colt is the original, Kimber and SA really cut their teeth on 1911s, they are a major part of their lineup even today, and they did as much as Colt (actually more) for the 1911 reawakening a couple decades ago.
Old April 25, 2021, 12:42 PM   #39
UncleEd

Colt
Springfield Armory
Ruger

or if you must,

Springfield Armory,
Colt
Ruger

still looking inside my wallet,

Ruger,
Springfield Armory
Colt

but yet, maybe

Colt
Ruger
Springfield Armory
Old April 25, 2021, 04:29 PM   #40
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1347 View Post
A Bul Armory Classic is in your price range. 9mm's are hard to find now, but you should be able to find a .45 ACP.

Healy Arms in Tempe, AZ had a .45 in stock a few days ago

And http://gparms.com/1911-classic/ might still have some in stock

I’ve seen some reviews online, but I’ve never seen one in person. The price for the features sure seems appealing.

Old April 25, 2021, 04:50 PM   #41
dgludwig

Quote:
Honorable Mention: S&W
I have a 1st gen S&W 1911SC. Love the gun. 100% reliable, very accurate, well made. The finish on the 1st gen leaves a little to be desired, but it doesn't matter. The main reason it is an honorable mention and not on my main list... S&W makes so many other guns that (like many) their 1911s seem like they were just jumping on the 1911 bandwagon when they introduced them (same reason SIG 1911s and the Ruger 1911 aren't on my list either).
A pity, me thinks. All three of these "outcast" branded pistols belong on the A-list, bandwagon passengers not withstanding.
Old April 25, 2021, 08:16 PM   #42
Reloadron

I sort of collect the Colt Series 70 guns and have several of the Gold Cup flavors. I agree as to replacing the collet style bushing.

Currently the older Colt Series 70 guns are running about $1,500 for a nice clean one.

I recently bought a Auto Ordinance Kahr Arms gun and it is the 1911 version, Coming in new at under $900 it's really a nice gun. It was a two gun deal which included a 5 digit serial number Colt made in 1914. Anywaythe Kahr Arms .45 Government is a nice gun in your price range,

I also like the Springfield Armory guns. They seem to be well built.

Ron
Old April 26, 2021, 05:32 AM   #43
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
In base design, yes. In quality and performance...some below and some above Colt.
Not much above a Colt, I've worked on them.
Old April 26, 2021, 05:34 AM   #44
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Funny, friend of mine thinks the same way but yet is always trying to buy my inferior Dan Wesson
Probably feels sorry for you, good friend.
Old April 26, 2021, 05:38 AM   #45
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I had a series 80 Government model that I bought new a few years back. It would eject cases right into your forehead, for multiple shooters. I sold it to a friend and last I knew a gunsmith had fixed it. Recently I went to buy a 1911 and had a choice between a used Colt Competition and a used Wilson Combat CQB. Obviously the Wilson was more money, and frankly I wanted to get the Colt to save money. The Colt was looser in the frame to slide fit than stock service pistols I have.

I think there absolutely are good Colt pistols and I think that to many Colt represents the standard of the 1911. That doesn’t mean all of them are good. The same has been true of just about any brand I’ve owned. The biggest question seems to be who has the best quality control overall and when that fails who has the best customer service.

The slide to frame fit is an easy fix.
Old April 26, 2021, 05:45 AM   #46
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
I sort of collect the Colt Series 70 guns and have several of the Gold Cup flavors. I agree as to replacing the collet style bushing.

Currently the older Colt Series 70 guns are running about $1,500 for a nice clean one.

I recently bought a Auto Ordinance Kahr Arms gun and it is the 1911 version, Coming in new at under $900 it's really a nice gun. It was a two gun deal which included a 5 digit serial number Colt made in 1914. Anywaythe Kahr Arms .45 Government is a nice gun in your price range,

I also like the Springfield Armory guns. They seem to be well built.

Ron
The old adage comes to mind; you get what you pay for. The better option is to get an oversized collet bushing and machine it down to precisely fit your 1911.
Old April 26, 2021, 07:48 AM   #47
Reloadron

I agree if you have the tools or someone to do it for you.

Ron
Old April 26, 2021, 08:49 AM   #48
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
Not much above a Colt, I've worked on them.
How many Wilson, Volkmann, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson (or about 30 other better than Colt) pistols have you had to fix.
Old April 26, 2021, 10:45 AM   #49
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
How many Wilson, Volkmann, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson (or about 30 other better than Colt) pistols have you had to fix.
Funny! It's like magic, isn't it?

Last edited by 101combatvet; April 26, 2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old April 26, 2021, 11:08 AM   #50
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
I agree if you have the tools or someone to do it for you.

Ron
Find someone to do it for you; it's like five minutes' worth of work and worth every penny.