The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2021, 01:46 PM   #51
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
So you are basing your knowledge base on 12 people that you know?
You might want to check out this thread I started a while back asking this very question about spare magazines. Over a hundred people responded and 55 percent carried at least one spare magazine. The ideo of carrying one for malfuctions was addressed as well.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...light=magazine
Awesome. Kind of helps reinforce my point. Close to 50% in this poll agree to not carrying a spare mag.

But, hey, you do you.

I just pointed out that MOST PEOPLE don't carry a spare mag. In the case of members on this forum, who might be put into a more "extreme" category, it's just over 50%. In the real world, it's far less.
Old April 23, 2021, 02:14 PM   #52
HighValleyRanch

I guess you must have flunked math in school.
It's 64 percent carry one or more versus 36 percent that don't carry one. That is not close to 50 percent.
But you are also right, most people don't carry an extra mag because most people don't carry a gun!LOL

But this is getting off thread.
Old April 23, 2021, 02:17 PM   #53
Donald duck

Events of the last year or so should have taught anyone who carries a gun to carry extra mags.
Old April 23, 2021, 03:56 PM   #54
mrt949

Owned all the KEL TEC 'S Reason why worked their 20 + years .
Carried every day started in 1982 .
Revolvers .1911. Glock , SW MP 40 FS ,COMPACT HK P2000SK LEM 40
Sold everything
Now in my 70+ years
NOW THE ONLY ONE IS SIG 365
I Have 2 10 and 2 12 round mags
That's enough for ME

Last edited by mrt949; April 23, 2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old April 24, 2021, 06:59 AM   #55
Kreyzhorse

More choices is better for everyone. Plus, everyone has different hand and body sizes. I recently bought a Hellcat, and while it's slightly smaller in some dimensions than some of my other guns, it points like no other for me.
Old April 24, 2021, 11:16 AM   #56
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
... it points like no other for me.
Absolutely critical.
Old April 24, 2021, 12:24 PM   #57
Red Devil

The answer is... the slimline 6+1 GLOCK G36 .45 ACP.

Now, what was the question?

Red
Old April 24, 2021, 02:06 PM   #58
Carl the Floor Walker

Are they necessary. IMO no. If the gun Gods said I had to carry only one Gun for EDC, and that was a 5 shot snubbie, it would not bother me one bit. And many times I just carry a Pocket size gun like a Pico or Kahr. (and I shoot them well). And just to throw a cherry on top, In the summer I carry just a Keltec P32. Love the fact that it weighs just 6 1/2 oz. 10oz fully loaded. Really do not care what others think. If they need more rounds they need more rounds. That is up to them.
If it gets to the point that I need more, I will go and carry my SR9C with 17+1 rounds. A little larger and a little heavier but the concession is it will shoot a hell of a lot better than any of my small guns including all Micro 9mm's.. But I have no need, desire or want to carry that at the present time.
Lol, saving it for when the Zombies come. (and they will come). Seems we are almost there. And I will be ready.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 24, 2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old April 26, 2021, 09:42 AM   #59
veprdude

The gun industry is filled with customers who are always looking for the next big thing. Even if it's marginally better. There isn't much opportunity for product testing (not talking about range time) so it's all personal projection on how things will be used and minimizing the inconvenience.

People tend to overthink stuff like this. Nobody's oohing and aweing over spare tires on their car, which is used much more often. At the end of the day, you're going to be happy with whatever spare tire you had as long as it's not flat.
Old April 26, 2021, 02:29 PM   #60
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
At the end of the day, you're going to be happy with whatever spare tire you had as long as it's not flat.
Some people have a bigger spare tire, so they can carry bigger guns!
Old April 26, 2021, 08:52 PM   #61
jmr40

It's not just the thickness. A G26 loaded is 5 oz heavier than the G43. And with handguns 5 oz is a lot.

I can make a G26 work during cooler months, but it is a lot easier to carry my G43 or 10 round Sig 365 IWB when it is 100 degrees here in GA. And I can make the G43 work with an ankle holster. The G26 is just enough bigger that ankle carry is a no-go.

Winston Churchill
Old April 27, 2021, 05:57 AM   #62
Donald duck

The Glock26 was was one of the best choices in a carry gun back in it's day. I carried one for about 6 years. It's day is over.
Old April 27, 2021, 06:32 AM   #63
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
It's not just the thickness. A G26 loaded is 5 oz heavier than the G43. And with handguns 5 oz is a lot.

I can make a G26 work during cooler months, but it is a lot easier to carry my G43 or 10 round Sig 365 IWB when it is 100 degrees here in GA. And I can make the G43 work with an ankle holster. The G26 is just enough bigger that ankle carry is a no-go.
Exactly why my now 26 goes in the glove box, and the 43 in my pocket.

I really like the 26, but I had to carry on the ankle unless I dressed just to conceal it - and, as stated, that only works certain times here in GA.

Tags
carry conceal , micro 9mm , new guns