The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2021, 05:58 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Worst time to come around on the new Pythons?

Just out of interest of owning one and not to argue what I think of the Python not being as good as the 686, are there any updates on the new Pythons with the CZ take over? Is CZ going to Dan Wesson the line or keep it going?
Old June 24, 2021, 07:37 AM   #2
Sevens

I’m curious about the angle you are working when you ask if “CZ is going to Dan Wesson the line” ?

Dan Wesson made 1911’s when CZ-USA purchased them, and those 1911’s got even better in short order. And the DW revolvers were not being made by the second iteration of Dan Wesson (when Bob Serva resurrected the name), it was CZ that restarted production on the Dan Wesson revolver line. And my hunch is that the CZ Dan’s are better than both the Monson and Palmer Dan Wesson revolvers.

If the recent past is any indicator whatsoever, the Python should be better —IF— CZ-USA gets involved.
Old June 24, 2021, 09:30 AM   #3
wild cat mccane

CZ killed off the Dan Wesson revolver.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/715-revolver/
Old June 24, 2021, 10:26 AM   #4
105kw

I don't see how Colt double action revolvers can get much worse, so we'll see.
I would love to see the old Colt quality return.
Old June 24, 2021, 12:40 PM   #5
hub1home

I love Colt Pythons. However, I must agree that the 686 is a better gun for less money. Period. I did have a 1976 built Python. If I still had it, the 686 would be even or possibly less than the python, in my opinion.
Old June 24, 2021, 04:30 PM   #6
Sevens

Are you saying that we will not agree that CZ-USA brought back the Dan Wesson revolver that hadn’t existed in production since Dan Wesson shut their doors YEARS before Bob Serva started making Dan Wesson 1911 pistols?

Colt made half a million of the gaudy Python. Go get one.
Old June 24, 2021, 09:21 PM   #7
44caliberkid

I loved the aesthetics of my Colt Python (1974) and it was accurate and serviceable, it was my uniform carry for 10 years, when the switch was made to autos, wonder nines for most people, a 1911 45 for me. But I easily let it go for something more interesting, can't remember what it was, but I have only traded off 2 Smith's, a 1917 45 ACP and a Model 686 that was defective and apparently unrepairable. (Smith warranty station) Love my Colt SAA's though, would never let them go. The Colt DA's have never been a favorite.
Old June 25, 2021, 09:10 AM   #8
wild cat mccane

I'm the only one in a 6 page long thread bashing the Python over the better 686.

Then I start a thread saying, meh, thinking of getting one just for the hey of it...no one supports it.

Haha...
Old June 25, 2021, 10:18 AM   #9
RUT

>>CZ killed off the Dan Wesson revolver<<

They were way too expensive, and some of us are lucky enough to have "real" Dan Wesson's from the Monson days.
Old June 25, 2021, 03:58 PM   #10
Sevens

Ugh, had two DW’s, both Monson and one of them was nearly NIB/mint. They both suffered the same issues.

Good guns, possibly. Great guns? They could not be no matter how hard they tried and believe me when I tell you that I absolutely tried.

Old school metallic silhouette shooters have convinced me from their experience that the Dan Wesson revolvers were hell for stout and stood up to harsh treatment very well. I can respect that. But their DA trigger was junk and they also light strike in double action.

The swap barrel idea is soooo much better in your head than it is in tangible use. If you torch a barrel, the concept is probably fantastic. But if you own one revolver and really think you want to do different things with different barrels, you’ll just end up wishing you had multiple revolvers.
Old June 26, 2021, 05:30 AM   #11
shurshot

"I'm the only one in a 6 page long thread bashing the Python over the better 686.

Then I start a thread saying, meh, thinking of getting one just for the hey of it...no one supports it.

Haha..."(Wildcat)

Yes Grasshopper, you are figuring out what the firing line has turned into... a forum for grumpy old men to attack each other on pertaining to semantics and gun preferences. LOL!!

I agree with you on the 686, I have the new 2.5", six shot 686 snub and a 1980's 586 4", both are superior to the Python in my opinion, not even including the cost difference. But, like you, have been eyeing a 4" Python... praying they bring back the 2.5" snub version. The new Python looks beefed up, stronger. I hope CZ stays the course.
Old June 26, 2021, 07:08 AM   #12
CajunBass

Never cared for the 5/686 myself for some reason. No idea why but they never really interested me.

I'm very happy with my three 2020 Pythons though. They're my favorite 357's.

(Technically one of them is my wife's, but it's in my safe.)

I wish CZ would bring back the Royal Blue finish. I might jump on one of those.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 26, 2021, 09:44 AM   #13
Kurbsky

Most likely the Royal Blue finish will be back but not anytime soon with all this unsatisfied demand and price gouging we see with Python. When the dust settles I would buy a 6" Python, hopefully in Royal Blue if the price is fair. But that will be my safe queen. I really enjoy shooting my 4" 686 and don't belive it can be better than that.
Old June 26, 2021, 02:32 PM   #14
603Country

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before, but I have a 70’s era Python and a 2 year old 686+, and have shot them both a bunch. I don’t think I can really say that one is the favorite. I can say that after I had the 686 trigger smoothed out, they shoot equally well. The SA triggers are both light and about the same. The DA triggers are different. The Python DA is longer, stacks, and is predictable (to me). The 686 DA is shorter and more abrupt (for lack of a better word) and less predictable.

The grip comparison goes to the 686, which also has better (more modern) sights. Beauty easily goes to the Python.

A while back, we had visitors (guests of a SiL), and the guy was a member of a major city’s SWAT team. He shot every rifle and handgun I have, and he could really shoot. For the record, in rifles, he loved my Tikka 260 with the Brux barrel and Leupold VX5HD 3-15. As for the handguns, after shooting for a while, we held the usual ‘one shot challenge’, where you get one shot at a silhouette splatter target at 15 yards. You can use the handgun of your choice. He went with the Python. I went with the 686. He beat me by 1/4”, which made me feel good that I was that close. In another one shot challenge, I had an Army Ranger and his wife visiting. He chose the Beretta 9mm, and his tiny little wife beat him using the Python. He was justifiably embarrassed. He wasn’t a very good shot.

Everyone loves the Python.