The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 26, 2015, 08:25 PM   #1
rangerwin

Winchester Ranger feed failure

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I did try to search for my problem but didn't find an answer.

I have a pump action Winchester Ranger that has a problem. With shells loaded, a round is fired. The pump action ejects the shell and instead of the next shell feeding, it drops out the bottom thru the feed port. It may do this after the first round or second or third rounds. It is intermittent and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks.
Old June 26, 2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the carrier cam is sticking. I take it that the shell comes out the bottom, as you pump the forearm? If so, there's a spring loaded cam on the rear of the carrier, that the bolt hits, when going back. The cam should bend back, and not work the carrier in the rearward direction, but only with the bolts forward motion, where the cam is locked. I'd see if it is dirty, or if there is a burr, etc., causing it to catch. It could even be the spring.

Below, you can see the cam on the rear of the carrier, laying back.

Photo copyright Numrich.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/257000B.htm
Old June 26, 2015, 09:00 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Shotgun or rifle? Model number? Does "shell" mean shotgun shell or .22 cartridge?

Assuming it is a shotgun, the shell stop may be broken, worn, missing, or otherwise not working. This is the kind of problem it is just about impossible to diagnose without having the gun in hand, so I can only suggest finding a local gunsmith.

Jim
Old June 27, 2015, 09:02 PM   #4
rangerwin

Thanks

Thanks Dixie Gunsmithing, I will check that part. The shell does drop out the bottom as the action is cycled for the next shot.

James K. The gun is a Winchester Ranger Model 120 12ga shotgun that is virtually identical to the 1200 and other Winchester pumps of that era.

Thanks again.
Old June 28, 2015, 12:23 AM   #5
tangolima

It is probable that the carrier doesn't go low enough.

After the shot, the forearm pumps back. The primary cartridge stop should be deactivated, and the fresh should be out of the mag tube and gets ON the carrier. If the carrier doesn't go low enough, the fresh round will be stopped by the tip of the carrier.

Near the end of the backward pump the carrier pops up to lift the fresh round up for feeding. If the fresh round is stubbed by the carrier tip, the fresh round will end up on the ground.

Check to see whether it is what happens. When the forearm pumps back, the fresh round should be on the the carrier, instead of being stubbed by the carrier tip.

-TL
Old June 28, 2015, 02:40 AM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

tangolima is correct. If this happens after you've pumped the forearm all the way back, and it comes out, with normal carrier movement, it could be this. For it to be the way I described above, it would happen as soon as you start to pump the gun, before it goes hardly any distance back. It's according to the position of the bolt, going back and forward, as to what function happens when.