The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 10, 2013, 08:22 AM   #1
DieHard06

Ruger SR556E vs. New Colt Ar-15

Hello, I am looking to get my first AR-15. Recently I found two that I really like. One is a Colt AR-15 (does say M4 on the receiver) that is the newer configuration, and the other is a Ruger SR556E. The Ruger is a piston and the Colt is a DI. Both are around $1,285. Which would you recommend and why?
Old October 10, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Both are good rifles, but I would go with the Colt due to the lighter weight, mil-spec barrel and components, and the fact that a piston system is pretty pointless unless you are firing suppressed a lot.

By the way, the Colt 6920 (now marked as M4 on receiver) can be found at many Wal-Marts for $1097.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:53 PM   #3
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have both piston and gas AR's. You will be fine with either. I shoot an Hk primarily as it is suppressed some and it has never failed. It is my first choice of my AR's, next the Colt would be my choice.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 10, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
tahunua001

even though I am a die hard ruger guy that hates Colt's guts, I have to recommend the colt. the piston system has been giving ruger some problems.
Old October 10, 2013, 03:01 PM   #5
ripnbst

You can get a brand new Colt for $1000

http://grabagun.com/colt-m4-carbine-5-56-16-blk.html

Buy that instead of what you originally posted for sure, save yourself some money on the exact same gun. Free shipping and potentially no tax. Not sure where GAG is located. After FFL transfer fees you are into a Colt AR15 for under $1100. I'd be real happy with that.

Or you can buy these two items:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-kit.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...pictogram.html

And have a gun that will do absolutely everything the Colt will do only now you have money left over for mags, ammo, and a nice optic. The rifle kit listed above is also the mid-length gas system which in my opinion should replace the carbine length gas system as its more reliable and softer shooting. If you are at all mechanically inclined, and I mean at all, you can build an AR-15 with an assembled upper (this one is) with hand tools in your family room. I know I did.

I would go the second route, but some people want a Colt.

Last edited by ripnbst; October 10, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old October 10, 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
PeteApps

I would go for the Colt. I recently bought the LE6920 MP-B for $1099. I am very happy with the purchase.

Old October 10, 2013, 03:13 PM   #7
tahunua001

+1 on the palmetto state gun, most of their parts are made by FN Herstal which currently holds the M16 contract for the DOD. I would sooner get that and put the savings towards ammo.
Old October 12, 2013, 01:32 PM   #8
DieHard06

Thank you for the replies. That helps me out a lot.
Old October 12, 2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Darker Loaf

+1 on the Colt. It's easier to find parts, and they are lighter, and potentially more accurate than the Ruger piston system.

Or... a cheaper Rock River http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=598 They are still selling that gun on sale. I got mine for around $890, pre-Scare. Runs great.

But the Colt will be 1+ pounds lighter than the Rock River. It's all barrel weight.
Old October 12, 2013, 09:19 PM   #10
MJFlores

I would go Ruger. For one it's a piston system and they have been flawless since initial release. You'll like how clean your bolt and carrier stay. Either way you'll end up with a great gun. I actually have a 556E and get really nice accuracy from it....better than it should give. The 1 in 9" twist stabilizes 65 grain Sierra Gamekings nicely, as well as XM193 55 grain and XM855 63 grain ammo. Ruger puts a heavy taper barrel on the 556 so if you find it muzzle heavy a Magpul ACS stock balances the gun nicely. Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com gives a nice review of the 556E if you're interested in watching something like that.
Old October 13, 2013, 10:51 AM   #11
tahunua001

as has been stated, the Ruger SR556 did not have a seamless introduction, most rugers don't, they get overly excited and release before testing is completely finished. bolt tilt is a major problem that is still quite common with them. you obviously have not spent any time at the ruger forums, there also were initial problems with the piston system when they released and there is an occasional thread here about a person that can't cycle ammoX out of gunY when Y=SR556.

Last edited by Tom Servo; October 13, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old October 13, 2013, 11:49 AM   #12
CharlieDeltaJuliet

It took many revisions to the Hk to make it reliable and it was in nothing but testing stages during this. G3Kurz or Pointblank on the HkPro forums can give all the info about the MR556 and 416. G3Kurz was/is employed by Hk(IIRC).

The truth is piston guns built from the ground up are not for most shooters. LWRC and Hk charge a premium for their rifles. They are dependable and accurate. I love my HK's and would never part with them, that being said I would advise you buying the Colt,LMT,LaRue,PSA.,etc. You most likely will never need the benefits of the piston gun. There are only three piston rifles I personally would own the Hk(of course , since I do) , LWRC, Sig's 516 (it is made very very similar to the Hk).

Buy the Colt and know you have a great tier AR15. The price is great on these now and the new M4 markings are a plus to me.

Ruger hit the same bumps and roadblocks that other piston rifles have gone through. It is my understanding that they have the kinks worked out. But while I despise Colts customer service(personal experience) it is still one of the best rifles sold everyday. If you were near me I would put you behind my Mr556, you will quickly realize it isn't a magical rifle that makes you top dog at the range. It is a heavy solid built rifle that is no more accurate than any other. I just personally have always been an Hk lover. That's why I tell honestly, buy a good DI rifle and enjoy it. The price difference, in a piston system,is only worth it if you shoot many various types of ammo and a lot of rounds suppressed. Yes they stay cleaner, but it isn't hard to clean an AR. Just my $.02 on the matter

..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 13, 2013, 04:37 PM   #13
DubC-Hicks

I would get a DI gun, but not necessarily a Colt. I would take a hard look at PSA. Great firearms and you aren't stuck with a 16" carbine gas rifle like you would be with Colt. The DI is less likely to have issues, cheaper, easier to find parts, and inherently more accurate. You can get an awesome DI rifle and some ammo/accessories for the price of just the piston rifle.
Old October 13, 2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
You've made it clear...you like your DI rifles...fine, go like them all you want and let others have their opposing views.
Actually I like my piston-operated rifles too! They all have their place.

And there is nothing wrong with having opposing views. I'm glad you've learned that lesson since you posted this:

Quote:
Everything I posted here is true, and I know you realize that.
But then again, some things are facts, like the SR556's well-documented issues with carrier tilt, or the fact that chrome lining in fact does belongs on some rifles as opposed to:

Quote:
Chrome lined barrels belong on shotguns, not rifles
We're all glad you like your SR556:

Quote:
Ruger might just make the best AR available on the market right now.
Quote:
I do own a 556, and have fired around 1000 rounds through it give or take.
That's great! When you shoot 20 or 10 times that many rounds, you can let us know how it stands up to a rifle from Colt, Noveske, DD, LMT, etc. You'll also begin to understand why some rifles need chrome lining.
Old October 13, 2013, 09:37 PM   #15
CharlieDeltaJuliet

As far as a carbine length rifle the LMT,Colt etc are hard to beat. Stick with a good proven brand. I have a few AR's, each serve a different purpose. Heck my RRA is my most accurate but it is a 24" bull barrel. My Hk was chosen because I personally, in Georgia, have seen an MR556 with 40,000+ rounds through it. The only failure was a broken buffer spring in the 30,000 round range. While it is unlined it is also HK's flagship for the civilian market. The barrel blanks are still made in Germany but finished by Daniels Defense. When they told me they would guarantee my rifle for life and showed me that one I was convinced. This is a heavy mule of an AR at over 8 lbs necked. I have the utmost confidence in it. The 416 I would trust under any circumstances. the LWRC I shot was equally impressive. As far as accuracy,the 416 meets military standards, the MR556 is considered a match rifle and is under 1 MOA easy (with diopter sights) with decent ammo. I shoot about 3/4 MOA with off the rack standard ammo(Hornady ,Remington etc but not match either) not surplus. My best grouping was with my reloads at 100 sit at around 1/2 MOA, that was from a lead sled and great conditions.

I still will recommend a DI gun for the very vast majority of people unless you are just dead set on a Piston gun. The Sig is what I consider the cheapest, well made piston AR, but that's another story.

Please do not get me wrong if you drop $5000-$6500 on a 416 upper, marry it to a Colt,LMT, etc lower it will not fail you, but it is rediculious to pay that unless money is no object. I will grab my HK's first, but the Colt,LMT,LaRue etc are just as good unless you are dropped in a war zone and surrounded by DEVGRU. And truthfully some of them still prefer the DI guns. I bought my MR556 at well below retail, and love it. It honestly is my go to rifle. But if I were just plinking without a suppressor the DI is the way to go. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Replacement parts are made out of unobtanium for most piston gun or cost a small fortune. The complete bolt assembly for my HK is $700. The best case situation for a piston gun (IMHO) is as Larry Vickers said, short barreled,suppressed, lots of various ammo and less maintenance. Is it worth paying thousands for, nope. But if you run across a deal like I did, it is hard to say no.

I do believe the Hk is built better, but to be honest not $2000 better. I wouldn't lie to you about it as I have no dog in this show. I am waiting on my Sig 516 then a new M4 marked Colt will sit beside it...
..." - Thomas Jefferson