The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 21, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Curt Searcy

Anyone own or have shot a Marlin Model 783 bolt action .22?

I know someone who has one and the don't want it anymore. Asking $100. If anyone has any thoughts/opinions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #2
hammie

If I remember my model numbers correctly, the 783 was a tubular feed, .22 winchester magnum rimfire (WMR). I have a 782, which is the .22 WMR, detachable magazine fed version. The rifle shoots better than I can. I have had trouble finding scope mounts which will allow clearance for the bolt handle on some of my larger scopes. The trigger pull was heavy with a LOT of over travel. "Basix" makes a drop in trigger that will mitigate some of those problems.

Gun prices vary so much from region to region, plus things are so crazy right now that it is hard to comment on the price. I have seen versions of this rifle, in good condition, priced from 150$ to 180$ in my area (arizona), and so I think the sellers asking price of 100$ might not be out of line, depending on the rifle's condition.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:21 AM   #3
doceaux

Marlin 783

If the sights are original and it's in good condition definately buy it. I have had one I paid a simular amount for and it consistantly out shoots any .22mags i've tried to replace it with. It especially likes Win. 40 gn. hp silver box and shoots 1/2-3/4 inch groups all day with them. Enjoy!
Old March 22, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4
PetahW

If it's scoped & zeroed, buy it - if it's not scoped, be sure to check that the scope grooves align with the bbl (take a long look from the rear) before buying.

I've ran across a couple that couldn't zero, windage-wise, with a scope, because of misalignment there.

If you never intend to scope it, then just go ahead & buy it, since they all shoot just fine w/iron sights.