The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
fast18

s&w 637 fobus holster?

Hello all, I have a Smith 637 and i'm looking to find a holster because apparently Levis' dont believe in deep enough back pockets anymore and how it sits has now started making small holes in them. I'm curious on if anyone could tell me how a Fobus holster rides as far as (semi concealed) how far would it stick out of a t-shirt say between the small of back to the hip? I'm leaning more towards the Fobus and I've tried looking for a IWB holster but can't find one i wouldnt think i'd have to double check every five min to make sure its not falling out or that it does fall out all together. Maybe i'm over thinking this but i'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, if it helps any as far as my build goes I'm light build. Basically im built like a plucked chicken. Any help or ideas help. A side note too is i know you get what you pay for but im not really interested in anything priced over the Fobus.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:19 PM   #2
bikerbill

I bought a Fobus paddle holster for my 637 and was very unhappy .. there's no adjustment for tension and it holds the gun so tightly that it is a major project to draw ... it is adjustable for cant, but no matter what I did, I simply could not get the gun into action as quickly as I want ...

A few months ago my wife got me a Beltman gun belt, and I bought a Black Hills leather holster for it ... the gun now draws quickly and smoothly, and there's a tension screw to adjust the tightness to your satisfaction ... it was more expensive, of course, but ... it works ...

Incidently, looks like the Fobus is selling for about $40; you can have my basically never used one for $25 and I'll pay shipping ...
Old February 20, 2013, 08:55 PM   #3
camsdaddy

Check out high noon holsters. Great holster, fast service and good prices.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
jglsprings

I've had bad luck with most all the Fobus holsters I've tried... They make the price so attractive you think - I can try that what the heck.

My first one (for my G23) worked pretty well, I got a second for my G26 - had to take it back. Then the voices said - try again - it'll be fine. Back it went again...

Moral of the story...

Don't listen to the voices in your head. Spend the money get one good holster then be done with it.

Quote:
A side note too is i know you get what you pay for but im not really interested in anything priced over the Fobus.
Let us know how it works out for you.

Commas save lives...
Old February 20, 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
fast18

Thanks for the feed back guys I appreciate it. I'll probably hold off on the Fobus for now and try something different. Ill give feed back on the one I do pick.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:34 PM   #6
shootniron

I use a Fobus for my 642 sometimes and it works fine. It is definitely positive retention, but it comes out with no problem. For the money, the Fobus is hard to beat for a weatherproof holster, but it is not suited to some folks needs for cc and it shouldn't as it was not really designed for that and the price reflects that fact.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #7
fast18

Hey guys I think I've decided on a sof-tuck for the gun I've just bought one and waitin arrival. Does anyone know anything about these?
Old February 21, 2013, 03:33 PM   #8
KyJim

Kinda' late to be asking opinions since you've already ordered it. Get, try it, and form your own opinion.

I do not have this particular holster. I do have a couple of pocket holsters from DeSantis and a "Tuck-This" ballistic nylon IWB holster. They've been good holsters for what they are.

If the adjustable cant on the Sof-Tuck works like it does in the "Tuck-This," then be aware that it can pivot just a bit. That's not necessarily a bad thing because it adjusts well between standing and sitting.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Seven High

All that is necessary for the Fobus holster is to spray the interior of it with silicone spray. That will loosen up things quite nicely. If necessary, you can spray it more than once.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:27 PM   #10
fast18

Yes, your right its a little late to ask but still doesn't hurt to ask and see what people think. Cause if i get bad reviews i can always send the thing back.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11
savit260

I learned long ago cheap holsters cost me more money.

Buying a holster trying to save a buck usually finds this holster sitting in a draw.

Just buying a quality holster and just as importantly , a high quality belt costs less in the long run. These are the holsters that will actually work.

Trying to make five inexpensive holsters (or even differnt smaller guns) work is more expensive than buying a quality holster that acually WILL work.

I've learned my lesson.

Many will spend real money on a gun, and then stick it in a cheapo holster on a department store belt, and wonder why it doesn't work.... then go spend more real money on a smaller gun... and another cheapo holster with poor results...untill they are down to wondering why they can't make a J frame not print, and can't stand carrying anything heavier than a bag of potato chips.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
shouldazagged

Tried a Fobus paddle holster for my Smith 640, in an LGS, gun unloaded and with the manager's permission. Drew holster and all four straight times, and my belt and waistband were quite snug.

I generally prefer pocket carry in an Uncle Mike's pocket model; but I have an Uncle Mike's plastic belt holster that's quite satisfactory. Good retention, but not a major undertaking to draw the gun. There's no adjustment for tension, but the fit was good from the beginning.