The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Glock grip modifications anyone?

First off. I'm an all steel / alloy framed type of guy.

I decided to carry my Glock 17 again. Due to magazine capacity. I feel safer. Recent events in Miami strung this up.

So I took my SIG P220 (basically my favorite gun to carry and shoot) put it in the safe and took the 9mm G17 to the range lol way too easy to shoot. But something felt funny. So I brought out my other blue label Glock 22 2nd gen. Which I haven't shot in a while. It was MDPD issued just like the G17 I have.

I used to only shoot and carry the G22 for years. And then it hit me when I picked it up the second generation Glock 22. And it all made sense.

Wanted this...

On my third gen G17 so, I did this.....

I just did NOT like the way that those finger grooves dug into my hands. And I have big hands.

I would be carrying my most fired weapon. 3,000+ rounds and all. My SIG P226. But don't have an IWB holster for it.

Anyways. Sorry I derailed a few times. Just like letting y'all know what's going on.

So anybody else do custom work on their Glock frames?

I had done this stippling to my G19 gen 4 (which I had to sell)

Old February 23, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Mastery

Personally, I've not seen a stipple job that looked good. I also have held guns that have been stippled, and didn't care for the feel. I don't have issues with holding my gun when firing it, so don't need the extra texture.

I think of my handguns as tools, not pieces of art that are to be dressed up. As long as it shoots perfectly, I could care less what it looks like.

In fact, a side note...when I went to an advanced shooting class, the instructor made every person unload their guns, triple check it, then he checked it...then made every person throw it 10 feet in front of them. He wanted to simulate that in a firefight, you may drop your gun, get shot and lose it and have to get to it, and it's going to get dirty if it gets dropped.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
AK103K

Ive done a bunch of mine now. The only ones I dont do, are the RTF2's I have. I think thety are about perfect as they come.

I think the benefit of stippling far outweighs the looks, but a decently done job doenst look all that bad either.

I personally like the finer stippling, over the whole grip. It feels like a cats tongue and the gun doesnt move at all in your hand when you shoot, even with sweaty hands. Other than the top of the slide, no more grip tape.

I apologize, not the best pics, but youll get the idea....

Old February 24, 2013, 01:29 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Robar; Glockbooks.com....

I know Robar does a Glock frame modification; www.robarguns.com . They did a full contract for the AK State Troopers so you know they make quality products.
A aftermarket firm has alloy Glock frames, see; www.glockstore.com or maybe www.glockworx.com . I think CCF is a Glock frame brand too.
Morgan Boatman's www.glockbooks.com or www.customizeyourglock.com may aid you.

I'm not a Glocker & do not own any models. I may buy a Glock 19 Gen 04 9x19mm from Lipsey's(FDE limited series). I'm going to wait for the gun craze & hysteria to quiet down.

CF
Old February 24, 2013, 01:47 AM   #5
blackamos

Gen 2 Glock's are my favorite because like you I have big hands. I run Brooks A-Grips on all my Glock's. I like the stippling just do not want to permanently modify my pistols.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:56 AM   #6
Dragline45

Quote:
I would be carrying my most fired weapon. 3,000+ rounds and all. My SIG P226. But don't have an IWB holster for it.
I think you answered your own question. When funds permit, get a holster for your 226 and carry it.

Quote:
In fact, a side note...when I went to an advanced shooting class, the instructor made every person unload their guns, triple check it, then he checked it...then made every person throw it 10 feet in front of them. He wanted to simulate that in a firefight, you may drop your gun, get shot and lose it and have to get to it, and it's going to get dirty if it gets dropped.
Sure in a firefight I may drop my gun, but no one is going to deliberately make me throw my $500+ gun across the room just to prove a point. If it happens it happens, but until then it will stay in my hand or holster.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #7
RoyP

I'm not a fan of stippling.I'm sure it helps with grip but to me it ruins the value of the pistol. If you plan on keeping it forever than go for it. I have seen a few for sale even at a good price I still pass on them.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
AK103K

I guess its all in the eye of the beholder, and well, in this case, the holder too.