The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
pck823

Beretta O/U not firing from top barrel

This is a relatively new gun with about 2000 rounds through it. Went on a quail hunt last weekend and it quit firing from the top barrel. Tried all combinations of both barrels loaded, top first, bottom first and nothing. Looks like maybe a very faint strike on the primer.

Could this be a simple matter of oil/gunk fouling the internals of the receiver? If so, can I get to the innards by removing stock? It's a 686 variant (limited run unique to a certain store). Thanks-need to get it resolved soon or else I'll have to take my much heavier Browning Cynergy this weekend!
Old January 17, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
zoomie

Had that happen on a 686 and it was a broken spring. I didn't attempt to fix it (let a gunsmith do it). But I wasn't getting any primer dents or anything..

Old January 17, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
zippy13

Could this be a simple matter of oil/gunk fouling the internals of the receiver?
You betcha -- gunk is not your gun's friend.
Let's hope nothing is broken. Remove the stock, inspect for broken parts, de-gunk the parts (don't forget to spray cleaner in the firing pin holes), re-lube, wipe off excess, and reinstall the stock.
Old January 17, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
pck823

Ok so I need to tread with caution here. I'm very mechanically inclined just haven't had an o/u apart before. I've got the 6mm socket head caps crew out but everything is still tight. There is what appears to be another screw on the bottom of the receiver with what looks like a smaller set/lock screw within the larger one. The larger one is slotted but the slot is very narrow, far narrower than a typical (even gunsmiths) slotted screw driver can fit within. What do I need to do here? Thanks again and in advance!
Old January 17, 2012, 09:03 PM   #5
zippy13

Just take the stock off (hole in stock under butt pad -- you'll need a stock wrench*), it will expose most everything, don't do any more disassembly unless you see something broken.
*stock wrench: my Beretta came with one as is shown in zoomie's diagram.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:16 PM   #6
pck823

As mentioned have the 6mm bolt removed from the stock but the stock/receiver still feel solid as a brick.
Old January 18, 2012, 06:33 AM   #7
hopper810

Since you've never had it off try this.Get another person to help hold the gun,back the stock bolt out just a few turns(i/2 inch or a little more) leaving the wrench in tap on the end of the wrench to get the receiver moving away from the stock.Keep backing the stock bolt out a little at a time till the stock and receiver are completely separated.