The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 4, 2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Ingram

Best way to remove bullet out of case?

Hi this is my first post on this section and I'm not entirely sure if it belongs here

I don't reload but I need to know the best way to remove a bullet from a case.

I saw some .223 keychains at a mil surp store and I thought that was pretty cool. However I figured I could probably do it cheaper then $3.00 so I want to make my own.

So what is a safe method to remove the bullet, make it safe, and then put the bullet back in. And is there any way I need to dispose of the gun powder.... or can I just let it fly away in the wind?

Thx.
Old October 4, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2
esheato

There are several ways to remove the bullet, but as you're doing decorative things with it I'm assuming that the bullet itself has to stay clean and pretty looking.

With that in consideration, a inertia type bullet puller (looks like a plastic hammer with a collet under a screw down fastener on one end, google inertia bullet puller) would be your best bet. Should be around $15 at the local gunstore.

The propellant makes great lawn fertilizer. You will also have to decap the live primer. Again, Lee Precision makes a universal decapper for cheap.

Getting the bullet back in the case is a little more difficult unless you're into reloading or know people who are into reloading. Utilizing a press would be easiest, but I'm sure there are some hand type presses that would work just great. Check out Lee Precision website for some cheap options.

Other than that, you might need dies to get the bullet properly seated in the case.

I'd look for someone that reloads to help ya out.

Ed
Old October 4, 2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

--- Wear safety glasses for all of the following. ---

I assume you want to remove the bullet without marring it, and that is what makes your task fairly difficult without some of the tools most reloaders have and use. If you know someone who reloads or who has a "kinetic" bullet puller, that is your best bet. If not, you can try pulling the bullet out with a pair of pliers. Be sure to wrap some heavy material around the bullet to prevent marring it (e.g., leather or maybe a small tube of aluminum or copper.) The bullet should come out without a lot of effort.

You can pour the powder on some grass, it's a good fertilizer. Of course, in that small a quantity it won't do much good, but it won't harm the grass. Or - you can light it. That's what I would do. Pour it on a rock or a tin can and simply light it with a match being careful not to be directly over it. It's always an eye-opener to see how slowly smokeless powder burns when it isn't under pressure.

To make the primer safe, the best method is to fire it in your rifle. Any other method may leave the primer unsafe. The other methods include dropping some oil or WD-40 in the case.

Getting the bullet back in the case and making sure it stays there without a reloading press could be tricky. You might try using a small copper or brass tube that fits only over the tip, and then lightly hammer it back in the case. The problem is that the case has been enlarged and the fit won't be as good as it would be if you could resize the case neck and press the bullet in.

Good luck - and don't try taking your new keychain to an airport.

[Edit]
esheato and I were posting at about the same time, although he was much faster. Since we both said just about the same thing, you now have confirmation on the methods available.
Old October 4, 2005, 11:45 PM   #4
Harley Quinn

Buy um from a gun store it is easier.

And not so dangerous. Not that it is dangerous but it is very easy to find them at a local shop. $3.00 LOL...But it could be dangerous. I said that.

Harley
Old October 5, 2005, 12:45 AM   #5
Ingram

Wow thx for the great advice. I will pull out the bullet with pliers (15$ is going slightly over budget) and light the powder (sounds funner).

Do you think superglue would hold the bullet in? I use the stuff all the time but have never tried it on metal.
Old October 5, 2005, 01:00 AM   #6
esheato

I bet you could use some epoxy or JB Weld and it would never come out.

My biggest concern would be getting the bullet out without marring it. If you can get past that stage, the battle is nearly won.

Ed

BTW, it's good working with ya Mal.
Old October 5, 2005, 01:18 AM   #7
Kayser

Ditto on firing the primer in your gun to clear it. Primers may seem all scary, but really, if you point the gun into a towel and pull the trigger, it's gonna sound a little like one of those little poppers kids get which blow when thrown down. Very very mild.

You can do it with handguns too, although you're probably gonna need to throw the towel in the washer
Old October 5, 2005, 02:16 AM   #8
tactikalwarfare

In all to do it right, you will need the proper tool to do it as many have mentioned. after you add up the tools and time, wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy it for $3.00 ?
Old October 5, 2005, 03:38 AM   #9
cracked butt

Dependign on how deep the bullet is seated and how good of a grip you can get with your fingers, you might be able to grab the bullet, wiggle it back and forth (more like trying to bend it) in its neck until the neck is stretched enough that you can pull it out. putting the buulet in a padded vise with minimal pressure might help the process.The crimp is the most likely place its going to hang up on you. Fire the case in a rifle, glue the bullet back in.
Old October 5, 2005, 05:00 AM   #10
chemist308

Quote:
...Or - you can light it. That's what I would do...
LMAO. Not to hijack, but a kid back in high school tried that once--though I think he used powder from multiple bullets. Came in a couple days later with his face all peeling and red...
Old October 5, 2005, 09:21 AM   #11
Mal H
Staff

chemist - Maybe the kid in HS got hold of some rounds containing black powder. As you well know, that's a horse of a different color. A pile of BP will burn just as fast outside a case as it does inside; you can't get away fast enough!

(BTW, BTDT. But mine was in ES not HS. I think I had wised up a little by then. )
Old October 5, 2005, 09:43 AM   #12
Olaf

I believe that taktikalwarfare "hit the nail square on the head". Let's go back to one of the statements, in the original post. ".... could probably do it cheaper then $3.00....". The ONLY way that could possibly happen is if you find someone who is a handloader....and has all of the tools (including the proper dies)....and will do the work for you (for less than $3.00). Then, you have the cost of the cartridge to consider. If you have to buy even ONE item for this....you will "bust" the $3.00 budget. Also, once the cartridge is "de-milled".....you must do the job of attaching whatever ring or clip or chain to it, to make it useful as a key fob.

So, as I said, taktikalwarfare has it right..... it would be much simpler, cheaper, easier....and smarter..... to simply spend the $3.00 - and be done with it.
Old October 5, 2005, 08:13 PM   #13
Bobshouse

Cool...but to buy a box of .223 is going to cost you about 5 bucks....lol
Old August 18, 2011, 08:18 AM   #14
gunfinatic139

I am new to this website but i would also recommend take a higher caliber round like a 50. a 30. an just taking the bullet out that way you don't have to deal with having to put it back in i'm working on a 50. cal bullet at this moment. and yes it is a lot more fun to light the gun powder on fire.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:44 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

Resurrecting this ancient thread wasn't necessary. If the OP hasn't created his fake round by now, he never will. Not to mention he hasn't visited here in well over 4 years.

Closed.
Closed Thread