The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Xfire68

What are you loading up in your 9mm?

I am wondering what all of you are loading up in your 9mm loads? I mainly shoot target and load some up for SD/HD which I normally use XTP's for.

I am in the process of going though different brands, weights and types of bullets.

I have tried Berry's plated, Hornady XTP's, Montana Gold FMJ's and JHP's (Which I like and will be ordering more soon), Remington FMJ's, Winchester FMJ's and I just ordered some Precision Delta 147g FMJ's.

I was looking at trying out some Silver tip, Gold Dot and Golden Sabers as well but, would like for you all to chime in of what you like the most in your 9's?
Old July 24, 2010, 10:42 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

XTPs and titegroup
Old July 24, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Xfire68

Disco, yes I have found XTP's to be some of the better bullets I have tried as to accuracy. I bought some 90g as they work in my .380 loads as well and found them super in the 9 as well.
Old July 24, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

i have at least 1,000 rds of hornady xtps for 44mag, 45lc, 9mm, 40, and 357.. i have good luck with them in all those calibers.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:07 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Been meaning to get a 9 again, last time I had one I used Unique and a Sierra 115gr jhp. XTP's are a recent development, relatively speaking. Titegroup new as well. Keep on posting, never know when I'll stumble across a Glock 19 that needs a home and a steady diet of handloads.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:11 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

I use titegroup in all my pistol calibers... with nice results... maybe not the ultimate in each caliber... but I cannot afford to have six or seven different powders at this time...and titegroup does pretty good by me.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:22 PM   #7
noylj

9mm bullets and powders

I use 105gn L-SWCs, 115gn L-SWC, 125gn L-RNFP, and 140gn Hornady Cowboy L-RNFP bullets . Powders are 231, Unique, Power Pistol, Silhouette, and HS-6. 231 is perfect for target loads that aren't near max.
Can't afford to shoot jacketed and never much cared for plated.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:29 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

5.0gr HP38 using 115gr FMJ @ 1.115" has been a very soft shooting fun plinking round for all of my pistols.

I do like TiteGroup but don't recommend it to beginners. In your case, I'd try it out since this isn't your first goat rope. It's a bit more felt recoil, but not that much different.

AA#2 is a fantastic powder. Problem I have with it is it spills out of the case a bit while I'm indexing my press and my press is one of the smoothest auto-indexing out there. When I used it back in the day in my Lee powder measure, it would spill out between the rotor and housing.

Hodgdon HS6 is another favorite of mine.

Just about every bullet has worked just fine for me from Golden Sabers to Berry's. I don't like Rainiers at all. They wrinkle too dang easy and I've been seeing weight variations more than I care for. Precision Deltas are my favorites for plinking. They've been the cheapest FMJ bullets I've found so far that are made well and quality isn't sacrificed. If I were to load for SD/HD (which I don't recommend), Golden Sabers would be my choice.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 24, 2010, 11:31 PM   #9
zxcvbob

135 grain LRN (Magnus Bullets #505, I bought several thousand a few years ago) with 4.5 grains of Bullseye. 1.15" OAL. This is a very hot load, but it shoots great in my BHP. I bought a 120 grain TC bullet mold for loading 9mm's, probably load them a little milder, but so far I've been shooting them all in .38 Special.
Old July 25, 2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Jim243

Xfire68

It doesn't matter what we like, it is going to be up to YOUR gun as to what it likes.

My PX4 Storm like 115 grain Winchester FMJs and my PT-92 likes Remington 124 grain HPs.

Just keep trying till you get the right combo.

Jim
Old July 25, 2010, 03:51 AM   #11
rg1

I've loaded all 124 grain bullets for a couple Glock 9MM's and a Kel Tec 16" barreled carbine. I've used Speer, Remingtion, and Winchester 124fmj's and have tested Hornady's 124 XTP/HP, Speer's 124 Gold Dot, and Remington's 124 Golden Saber. All 3 of the hollow point bullets are highly recommended and they all shoot well in my pistols and carbine. I find it hard to tell which of the 3 HP's shoots best. I use Unique powder and CCI 500 primers in all 9MM loads.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:03 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...mainly shoot target..." Formal bullseye target shooting? Jacketed bullets are too expensive for that. A 9mm pistol isn't a target gun either. 121 grain cast bullets with Bullseye work well out of my Inglis BHP.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:12 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

122gr LFP on top of Unique (don't have the data on hand at the moment). Using a Silver State brand bullet, I found ~1,050 fps to be doable. I keep mine down around 750-800, though. Limp wristing or a bad grip can cause mis-feeds or failures-to-eject. Proper grip and muscle tension in the wrist, however, makes them a pleasure to shoot.

I rarely load jacketed stuff. Other than some FMJs... my last jacketed load for 9mm was in 2000 (yes, 10 years ago), with some Remington Golden Sabres and Hornady XTPs. I shoot them so infrequently, that they could easily last another 10 years.
Old July 25, 2010, 06:38 AM   #14
Xfire68

Quote:
A 9mm pistol isn't a target gun either
Isn't any gun you shoot at a target a "Target Gun"? At least it is while your shooting at the target.

I shoot jacketed bullets as I tend to practice with what I will be using for SD/HD. I am not shooting 5,000 rounds a month so the cost of jacketed is not as much of a hit even with my limited budget. My shooting budget is split between my brother and I along with 1 friend and seeing how I normally am the one that does all of the gun cleaning I stick to just jacketed even though I know if done right lead bullets can be pretty simple to clean up after.

I would not get the "real savings" using lead unless I made my own and I am not heading down that road yet.

Last edited by Xfire68; July 25, 2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Osageshooter

What I do with pistol loads is pick the ammo that I will use for self defense. In 9mm it is +p Golden Saber 124. Then, I work up a load which shoots like the defense load. Right now I am shooting Berry's 124 with 6.0 grains of Unique. It hits to the same point of aim and has similar felt recoil compared to the defensive load. As long as it hits and feels the same, I don't get too picky with the chronograph. I only use factory loads for self defense for the well documented legal reasons, so this gets me to where I need to be with practice ammo.
Old July 25, 2010, 09:04 AM   #16
dts686

New Target Load for Me

Just last night I loaded:
124g Rainier round nose plated bullets
5.9g of Hodgdon HS6
Starline brass
Winchester small pistol primer

It's supposed to give me 1,023 fps. Got the load data from the Hodgdon web site.
Haven't shot it yet so we'll have to see how it performs.
Old July 25, 2010, 09:48 AM   #17
armoredman

Accurate Arms #7 and home cast wheel weight 124grain lead bullets. Really cheap shooting.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:20 AM   #18
CrustyFN

I like 125 and 135 grain Zero jacketed FP or HP bullets. I used to shoot Titegroup in everything. I still like it but have gone to WST. WST seems more accurate and a lot cleaner. WST is my go to powder for 45 auto.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:22 AM   #19
Anthrax

124 Gr Armscor Precision JHP's for SD.

115 Gr Russian WOLF ammo (Tula Cartridge Works) for range shooting.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:23 AM   #20
DiscoRacing

Quote:
A 9mm pistol isn't a target gun either
Hmmm ... Interesting.. to say the least.

Just which ones ARE target guns???!!

I wonder if I have any of them?

Ive been shooting targets.... but appearantly with the wrong guns.

If I would have used the afformentioned TARGET guns...Maybe they would help my accuracy.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:27 AM   #21
rtpzwms

For my Luger I use Speer match grade fmj 115 grain bullets with 5grains of Unique. It cycles the action very well and is very accurate.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:47 AM   #22
TXGunNut

Firing a weapon without a target is silly and could be dangerous. I'll be shooting paper ones today, furry or feathered ones later in the year.
Maybe for TO's benefit we should specify informal paper target shooting so he won't assume we're talking about the BE comp he enjoys. There are other types of comp shooting and they all have unique ammo requirements and preferences but I don't think OP is much interested in them @ this point.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:52 AM   #23
DiscoRacing

Quote:
he won't assume we're talking about the BE comp he enjoys
UHHH yeah... I should have caught onto that one...I would have included the word MATCH then maybe.

No more late nights loading for me...was out till 2am this morn processing .223 brass...
Old July 25, 2010, 11:51 AM   #24
rtpzwms

Quote:
What are you loading up in your 9mm?
That was the question. I use the Match grade because it cycles in a Luger! They (Lugers) are pretty touchy about the ammo they'll feed. So when you find a combo that works well you stay with it. The COL is important on that load as well or I'll be clearing jam after jam (been there done that) if it costs a little more to shoot that weapon so be it. No matter what its still cheaper than the factory stuff and a better product. My Glock will feed anything so this is not the same recipe I use in it. The Glock will feed and copper plated Berry's bullet in 9 mm. I think if I remember correctly I had some Remmington rounds I used in it as well a long time ago. And someone gave me some unmarked fmj's at 115 grain for 9 mm. The Glock handled all of them just fine.
Old July 25, 2010, 12:40 PM   #25
CWPinSC

Loading lots of 9mm here. Using Zero plated 124 gr. FMJ and Bullseye. They shoot great.