The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
JonnyP

Just Finishing Installing My Sturdy Gun Safe

Wow. Talk about a superior product, with outstanding customer service to boot! I did a lot of looking around before I shelled out the money for a good gun safe, and I must say I think I hit the jackpot with Sturdy. This thing is a fine piece of workmanship, and nothing less than a commercial grade safe. I got the 3224 model and it fits perfectly where I wanted to put it (in the garage). I put steel washers under the corners (two at each corner) and bolted it down with concrete anchors, not so much because I'm worried someone will carry it off, or even that they'll actually be able to penetrate the safe, but I don't want some punk breaking in and deciding to topple it over just for the heck of it.

Mine has 7-gauge steel all over and is also fire-lined which added a good deal of weight (it's about 850 lbs empty), but I wouldn't have it any other way. I went ahead and purchased a dry-rod from Sturdy to avoid problems with moisture and asked them to drill a hole for the cord. My safe is now all set up and filling up with guns!

Terry and everyone else I ever spoke with at Sturdy was extremely helpful with any question I had. As heavy as it is, it arrived without so much as a scratch, and Terry gave me some pointers about how to get it off the pallet and into position.

The very best thing about this safe is this: piece of mind. Not that I have anything particularly valueable, but what I have is of great sentimental value to me, so I can leave without giving the security of my guns a second thought.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Old October 16, 2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Re4mer

Can you post a picture of it. Also how many guys did it take you to move that monster into the house.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:01 PM   #3
feldspar13

would also like to see pics
Old October 26, 2009, 03:21 PM   #4
JonnyP

Sturdy Safes

It took just one other person (a big guy) to help me move that sucker into place. It's definitely a beast. On the advice of Terry (the owner) I put steel washers under the corners of the safe to help keep rust at bay.

Just google them (Sturdy Gun Safes) and see pics of every size available. BTW, the girl in the pics is the daughter of the owner. Enjoy!
Old October 26, 2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hm.... no offense.... seems a weeeee bit "advertisement-ish" to me....
Old October 26, 2009, 04:23 PM   #6
mikejonestkd

My thoughts exactly Peetzakilla.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:16 PM   #7
JonnyP

Didn't mean to sound like a commercial. I was just super impressed with the customer service and the safe once I got it. There are too many companies out there that are just the opposite, and I thought I would steer some folks to what I believe is a great company with a great product.

Can't wait to fill mine up with guns!

Jonny
Old October 31, 2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Adirondack

Johnny P.

I bought a safe from Sturdy earlier this year and had the same experience as you; they are a great outfit. Terry (the owner) spoke with me on the phone for over 1/2 hour and not only answered all my questions but really taught me what to be looking for in a safe (he wasn't pushing his safe not outwardly at least.)

My safe is the 36W27D60H in 8 ga without the fire lining and that is the only regret I have about this safe (well other than not getting the 48W because my safe is now full). Had to do again I would have purchased it with 7ga and fire lined like you had done Johnny but my original plan was to put it in my house and I didn't think the floor joists could hold it; well I ended up putting it in my garage also so that wasn't an issue.

Their safes are incredibly solid and very intelligently designed. Obviously an expert with the right equipment will be able to bust into it but someone showing up with an ax, crowbar or sledge hammer is going to be disappointed.

I certainly would buy another and probably will as soon as I finish building a new home.

**edit**

It's funny in my post about Sturdy, people thought I worked for the company too.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...9990&highlight

Last edited by Adirondack; October 31, 2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:26 AM   #9
JonnyP

Adirondack,

Wow. I took a look at your earlier post. Some folks just never believe in anything. If they want to pay more for a lesser safe, it's their loss. As for you and I, we done good.

I think what happens sometimes is whenever a person buys something expensive only to find out later they could have done better elsewhere, their natural tendency is to try and tear down (in words) the thing they should have gotten in the first place in an effort to make themselves feel OK with their earlier decision (the wrong one).

I know I've found myself many times wishing someone had told me what they knew before I made a major purchase. I simply tried to be that person in a somewhat anonymous fashion via this forum. If they choose to ignore it, their loss.

Jonny
Old October 31, 2009, 09:31 AM   #10
fisherman66

Pictures please! If I may be as bold as to ask...what did safe + S/H and Install cost? Is S/H flat fee or geographically dependent?
Old October 31, 2009, 09:42 AM   #11
JonnyP

Many pics are available at Sturdy's web site, so just google them. As for cost, I went for the additional $50 to have it dropped at my door. I want to say that everything I got, to include 7 gauge steel, fire lining, 32x60x24 safe, and an extra steel plate around the lockworks, was for sure under $2,500. I put mine on layaway months ago, so I may have gotten it on sale for a little less than that.

There's at least two of us in this thread who think they're worth checking out.

Jonny
Old October 31, 2009, 10:12 AM   #12
DaveyG

Hey Adirondack I assume by your user name and hints that you don't live near Fresno (in your other thread where someone accused you of possibly working for Sturdy) are you in the Northeastern part of the country and what was the freight cost? I am in the market for a safe but need something "slimmer" due to limited space and was almost set on a Amsec TF series but am now considering a Sturdy. my concern is that the freight cost is going to kill me (as I am in the Northeast) the other concern is that the smallest safe they list may be too large for the space that I have. Funny thing you are not the 1st one to be accused of working for them I have seen several threads on several boards where the person posting was accused of the same thing.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:50 AM   #13
JonnyP

Forgot to mention I also got a 6 handgun pistol rack and an electric dry-rod. I also separately purchased concrete anchors and rented a hammer drill for $60, and ALL of it, including delivery to my door, was under $2,500.
Old October 31, 2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Adirondack

DaveyG wrote:
Quote:
Hey Adirondack I assume by your user name and hints that you don't live near Fresno (in your other thread where someone accused you of possibly working for Sturdy) are you in the Northeastern part of the country and what was the freight cost?
Yeah it's funny how quickly you get accused for working for someone if you have something good to say about them. It makes me wonder if there are people working for some other manufacturers/distributors trying to undermine your comments.

As for shipping, I think it was just a flat rate for anywhere in the continental US (I could be wrong though but it wasn't that bad) and like JohnnyP, I paid the additional 50 bucks to have it delivered to my house. The thing about their "drop off" service, it is truly just that drop off; as soon as it hits the your driveway, it's your problem. I didn't have a problem with that because I knew if I had to I could borrow equipment from work to get it where it needed to go if needed; fortunately, the driver I had was cool and helped me get the safe into my garage (I gave him a 40 buck tip.)

I have looked at Amsec safes (only through research though I must admit.) Amsec's BF series seems like a quality product to me from the specs and that would probably be my starting point as a comparable product to Sturdy Safe. There is someone here who sells Amsec safes (Frank is his first name I think but I can't remember his username.) He is very knowledgeable on the subject and I'm sure could help you out if you decide to go that way.

Last edited by Adirondack; October 31, 2009 at 02:52 PM.