The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2009, 05:16 PM   #51
kyle663

no prep to it. your just making ingots. just make sure the lead is cooled enough before dumping the ingots. i put them on a steel plate to cool. tried wood and it started smoking. also if wife or girlfriend or kids are around make sure they know not to touch them. my wife grabbed one before i could stop her. grabbed it for a split second.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:12 PM   #52
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
my wife grabbed one before i could stop her. grabbed it for a split second.
First you take her ladles and then you let her burn her hand? You goober!

Let us know how the lyman mold works out. I'm still sitting on the fence whether to get a Lee and massage it over or just get another brand...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 25, 2009, 06:43 PM   #53
flashhole

Will do on the Lyman.

kyles story remided me of one I remembe about my wife.

We are horse owners. Fencing is always a challenge, especially with young horses. We lived in the inland valleys of the people's republic of kalifornio where it is hot and dry most of the year. We had electric fencing that the horses were always breaking through because the ground was not wet enough to provide proper electrical functionality. My wife was always on my case that the fence was not working and I should "fix" it. She came out one day when I was doing chores and she was wearing sneakers (good insulators). She grabbed the hot wire and said in a very scolding tone - look, this fence is not working. I was hot and sweaty and tired from working in the hot sun for a few hours. My mood was not the best. I looked at her and said "Honey, lick your fingers on your right hand and stick them on top of the T-post and grab the wire with your left hand". The look on her face was priceless. She instantly understood everything I had been telling her about it being too dry for the fence to work properly. I NEVER heard another word about the fence not working. I wish I'd had a camera.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 25, 2009, 09:06 PM   #54
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Flashhole,

Just came across this thread on another site. I'd take a gander before considering a Lyman. I have no experience whatsoever on molds so I don't know how much water this thread holds...

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=49563

Old March 25, 2009, 09:09 PM   #55
Smokey Joe

Good one, Flashhole!

Quote by, I think, Will Rogers:

"Some people learn by observing. Some people learn by reading about it. But most people have to pee on the electric fence."

--Smokey Joe
Old March 26, 2009, 05:51 AM   #56
flashhole

Tuttle, my bullet mold (if it ever gets here) is a Lee. The ingot mold is Lyman.

Old March 26, 2009, 06:36 AM   #57
kyle663

my wife is a very inteligent person, just had a blonde moment i guess. she didnt see the heat waves coming off the ingots. it never occured to me that she wouldnt figure since i was sitting there smelting that the ingots just MIGHT be hot.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:02 PM   #58
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Sorry about that, flash. I guess the words have been all running together lately..

Old March 27, 2009, 04:50 AM   #59
flashhole

The link was a good link. I'd have never expected to read that about Lyman molds since they are in such wide use. I've read pretty good reviews about the Lee 6-cavity molds. I'll be commenting on mine once I put them to use.

Old March 27, 2009, 01:09 PM   #60
Smokey Joe

Lyman molds...

OK, so ONE person says thumbs down on Lyman's customer service. IMX, you could get ONE disgruntled customer for any maker or seller you would care to name, no matter how good they are generally. You could give away gold ingots, and some idiot would be dissatisfied. I imagine that there are still small-town libraries that are mad at the Carnegie Foundation.

And AFAIK, Lyman makes good products. In today's competitive market, general bad customer service will drive you out of business pronto. And Lyman has been holding their own for how many years now?

I'd take this ONE report with a grain of salt. (There are such things as bad customers, y'know.) If there are many other complainers re. Lyman's customer service the issue might deserve more attention. But for the nonce, I'd not hesitate to buy Lyman.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 27, 2009, 09:44 PM   #61
CrustyFN

My mold is Lyman. I am very happy with it. It is a 452460 200 grain SWC. It drops the bullets very close to .452 and very close to 200 grains.
Rusty