The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2008, 02:20 PM   #1
fixxervi6

Is it possible to "overload" 454?

First thing that comes to mind is "obvoiusly yes" however I notice when loading 454 by the book, there is no more room for powder, its actually compressed some with 296 powder. obviously other powders could result in overpressure problems, but would it be possible to try to "force" enough in with 296 to be a problem? I'm not willing to find out so I pitch this out there. I've read about double charges and what have you, but it just doesn't seam possible to do with 296 and a 454 so in my mind loading 454 with 296 appears to be a "easy to load safely" due to, you just can't over charge it.

So how are people blowing stuff up, wrong powders?
Old November 3, 2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Don't try this at home

It has been axiomatic among shooters of large, strong revolvers for some time that a case filled with 296/H110 will not produce excess pressure. That is not compressed, and it doesn't apply to some guns that are less beefy. For a gun chambered to tolerate the .454 Casull, though, even compressing, short of bulging the brass badly, would not easily create overpressure with that particular powder. I'm not going to go so far as to say it's impossible, though, and I can't recommend trying hard to find out.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 3, 2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Gun 4 Fun

Good question. If you were trying to makeup some reduced loads with a faster burning powder, you could easily over, or double charge a case. Unclenick is correct about 110/296. It's one of the best powders available for magnum type cartridges. I say one of, because they are the exact same powder, in two different labeled cans. Check out Hodgdens annual manual or there websight. The two powders are always listed with the same charge weights. Hodgden owns the Winchester label. I'm not sure if I read it on their sight or one of their manuals, but they even claim it's the same powder. I know the question was about blowing up your gun with these powders, but just in case you haven't tried it yet, try some Lil'Gun. It's possibly even better and works great in my .475.
Old November 3, 2008, 07:30 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Quote:
So how are people blowing stuff up, wrong powders?
Who is blowing what up?
Old November 3, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5
fixxervi6

I've seen pictures of busted open cases etc, burned through primers stuff like that