The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 23, 2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Oquirrh

1860 Army shake-down

Played hooky for a couple of hours and fired my 1860 Colt Army. First time it's ever been fired.

I mainly wanted to put a few rounds through it to just find out if it has any function problems. A couple of the Colt-curse cap jams from frags in the hammer notch. That'll clear up as I get to know the revolver.

.454 ball With 25 grains of fffg, it shot a foot high and six inches to the left at 25 yards. (and it seemed to still be high out to 50 yards.)

I cranked it back to 20 grains and it shot about 8 inches high, but directly above POA! Nice groups too. With a little Tennessee elevation, I could hit a coke can-sized target at 25 yards pretty consistently.

I want to put 100 more balls down range before I do anything with the sights. I hope the accuracy holds with heavier loads.

Last edited by Oquirrh; July 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add foto
Old July 23, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Hawg

They're sighted in for 75 yds. as per originals. Some of the newer Remingtons have taller sights but as far as I know all the Colt's still have low sights. I know mine made in 07 does. After you fire raise the muzzle some and tilt it to the right when you cock it. It'll take care of most of your cap jams
Old July 24, 2008, 12:40 AM   #3
timothy75

I've heard their sighted for 75 yards but that should only be about 3.5" high at 40. My dragoons and walker shot between 11-18'' high when new.
Old July 24, 2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Ace On The Line

My Colt paperwork "Colt Cap and Ball Revolvers" that came with my 2nd Gen. Navy states that most of the old Colt's are sighted for longer ranges than the average modern shooter wants to use them at. They were apparently intended to strike at the point of aim at about fifty yards with a full load, and the account of tests with them refer to shooting at this and considerably greater ranges.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Oquirrh

POA at fifty...

But was that with a ball or a conical?

I would think a full load --paper cartridge--with a conical (less powder and heavier projectile) would hit much lower, it might be on at twenty-five yards.

Maybe conical paper carts is what ol' Sam had in mind!
Old July 24, 2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Hawg

In military tests they used paper cartridges with conicals.
Old July 24, 2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Ace On The Line

According to the Colt literature, "Some variations in the point of impact at medium ranges can be obtained by using different powder charges or round or conical bullets, but this is not always wholly satisfactory."
Old July 24, 2008, 03:21 PM   #8
DrLaw

want to have some fun

Quote:
I've heard their sighted for 75 yards but that should only be about 3.5" high at 40. My dragoons and walker shot between 11-18'' high when new.
If that's the case, then set some targets out at 100 or 200 yards and see how you do. If you can consistently nail them with whatever load you are using, THEN do it while somebody else is watching and watch the jaws drop! Gong type targets work the best as you can hear your hit!

The Doc is out now.
Old July 24, 2008, 06:06 PM   #9
berkmberk1

100 yard .45 shot

That reminds me of the time I shot in one of the Second Chance Bowling Pin Shoots they used to have. A side range had a steel silhouette target with the 8-9-10 area cut out placed at 100 yards. The goal was to hit the "rim" so to speak. It took me a 7 rd magazine (1911) to get the range, but it can be done. If you caught sight of it at the right angle you could actually see the bullet go down range!! COOL!!.