The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 20, 2001, 04:23 PM   #1
LoneStranger

I enjoy immensely using the view new posts function. But if I post a reply to a thread then try to get out of the thread and back to the listing of new posts I find myself locked into that thread. Then when I go up and hit the The Firing Line> button I lose the New Posts listing.
At that point I have no idea how to retrieve the listings that I have lost.
HHHEEELLLPPP!!!!
Old May 20, 2001, 06:07 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

You have me lost also.
Try the Back button in cases like this.
Rich
Old May 21, 2001, 12:07 PM   #3
Point Blank

Here's how you do it..hit back button,but you have to double tap,or triple tap it fast.

[Edited by Point Blank on 05-21-2001 at 03:52 PM]
Old May 21, 2001, 01:59 PM   #4
2GSP

I read/review the board using the "new posts" feature too. The "problem" Lone Stranger is having is that he gets into the Reply to Topic screens. "Preview Reply" and/or the "Submit Reply" causes the web browser to have these pages queued on the "BACK" button. When you do press the "Submit Reply", you get the "Thank you for posting...." screen and then the refreshed topic screen with your post included in the thread.

The problem is that there is no button to return to the search screen and resume looking at the "new posts". The immediate "BACK" screen is the "Thank you for posting......" screen and it returns you to the topic thread.

What I do in Netscape is "click and hold" on the "BACK" button and find the highest entry with the words "Search Results" in the title. Selecting that entry returns me to my list of "new posts". It might be a few lines down depending on how many "Preview Reply"s were done. Double and triple tapping works sometimes depending on web response time. The method of "Click and Hold" then selecting the Search results page seems to work all the time.

Hope this helps,
-Mike

Old May 25, 2001, 03:42 AM   #5
PreserveFreedom

Try this...

When you want to post something, but not "lose your place", right click the post (or reply) link and select "Open in new window". After you post, close the new window and go back to the one that you were at before.

Old May 29, 2001, 12:21 AM   #6
LoneStranger

Thanks much for the information and encouragement. I'm using IE5.5 and what I discovered was that if you go up on the second bar down when you put your cursor on the Back arrow a small down arrow displays. When you click on this it give you a list that you can click on to get back to seach results.
Would have posted back sooner with this info but I needed to check it out.
Thank you all for info and help.