The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Uncle Buck

Disappointed

I reloaded 250 rounds of .357 Mag,
326 rounds of .45 ACP and
380 rounds of .45 Colt.

It is all gone.

It lasted only for about three hours. Now I have to start all over again for next week-end. (I am getting a progressive press from another member here on TFL.)

I enjoy the company and camaraderie when we all shoot. The guys help police the brass, pick up the trash, repair backstops and reset targets for "Next time."

I enjoy reloading and I enjoy shooting, but I have changed back to were I enjoy shooting more than reloading. Maybe because I have found the loads that work best for me in my guns?

I am still looking for the right load in a .270 though...
Old June 17, 2012, 08:42 AM   #2
huntinaz

Sounds like a pretty good 3 hours of fun!

My reloading enthusiasm waxes and wanes as well. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes it's a chore. Lately I've been enjoying it again.
Old June 17, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
jcwit

Progressive Press and you're not even looking at reloading 1,000 rounds a week? WOW, I do more than that in 2 evenings with 2 single stage presses side by side.
Old June 17, 2012, 08:54 AM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Progressive Press and you're not even looking at reloading 1,000 rounds a week? WOW, I do more than that in 2 evenings with 2 single stage presses side by side.
I only shoot maybe 200 rounds a week, and I load on a progressive. Time is a premium for me. I like to spend a few hours and load enough to last a long time.

Some people have more time on their hands, and some people have less.

Do you work those 2 single stages simultaneously? With both hands?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 17, 2012, 09:10 AM   #5
BIGCARL1911PYTHON

disapointed

bought a dillion a few years ago ,,can still deals on factory ammo cheaper
Old June 17, 2012, 09:49 AM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
My reloading enthusiasm waxes and wanes as well. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes it's a chore.
Same here. I load on a Rockchucker. I shoot anywhere from 500 to 1000 rounds a month. I really can't afford to shoot anymore than that. Having the reloading process become a chore helps to keep me from going nuts and going over budget. What works well for me is to reload when I have the time and there's nuttin' else to do......not when I need the rounds. I load more in the winter than I shoot. I prep brass in short periods like between gettin' home from work and eatin' supper, or when the wifey insists on watchin' girly shows on TV that don't interest me. Rainy Sunday afternoons usually net a several boxes of completed ammo. Having a fair amount of brass to do it this way helps also. I believe as of this moment I have about 12000 rounds of handgun ammo in 6 calibers and maybe 500 rounds of rifle ammo in two calibers sittin' ready to go on the shelves. Yesterday when it was rainin' I went upstairs to work some and realized I had no empties left. Guess today I need to take care of that...........
Old June 17, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
jcwit

Quote:
Time is a premium for me. I like to spend a few hours and load enough to last a long time.

Some people have more time on their hands, and some people have less.
One of the many reasons I love retirement, plenty of time to do the things I enjoy. However in my whole life I never ever tied myself down to where time was at a premium. Only one life to live and one life to enjoy.

Quote:
Do you work those 2 single stages simultaneously? With both hands?
Nope, after case preparation one is used for belling and powder throw with Lee Disk Measure, second is for seating and crimp with one pull.
Old June 17, 2012, 12:19 PM   #8
hooligan1

Oh man,,,,, that stupid cycle of shooting then loading then shooting,,, it wears me OUT!!!!!!
Old June 17, 2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Ethan.G

Quote:
Oh man,,,,, that stupid cycle of shooting then loading then shooting,,, it wears me OUT!!!!!!
i hear you man, i dont even know why i continue to do it... hahaha

honestly tho, when me and my buddys dont have the time, we buy some pistol ammo and keep the brass for next time, i Love shooting and when developing a load i love reloading more then shooting. But i take serious pride in the rounds i load, they make me feel more confident then factory ammo and i shoot better so i always try and cut a little time before shooting to do it. cant say for sure that my rounds are more accurate then factory but i know I am more accurate with my own rounds
Old June 19, 2012, 01:20 PM   #10
jib

At least you get to contribute to your own dissapoinment. My son and I load together. Unfortunately for me, 90% or more of the reloads we build get "de-loaded" (shot) when he is shooting every week with his High Power Rifle team.

Yeah, it's a good thing, but sometimes I get jealous when he comes home with a 100 round box of "lovingly assembled" ammo turned back into "ready to process" fired brass. <grin>

Jack
Old June 20, 2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Hardcase

Look on the bright side - You only had to police up 326 cases!
Old June 20, 2012, 10:24 AM   #12
straight-shooter

Rotary tumble your brass with a Thumbler tumbler and Lemi-shine. Go out to the garage and cast up some lead bullets and then retire down to the basement to start lubing and sizing them bullets in a Lyman press. Now i finally get to start reloading the brass on the Dillon.

That will keep ya busy!
Old June 20, 2012, 12:25 PM   #13
rclark

Well what I do is shoot lots of .22 . Bring a box or two, or more of bulk 550s and go.... Then round out the session with 50-150 or so big bore (or peanut .357 bore) downrange. Works for me and you get plenty of inexpensive target practice too! Then you don't have to reload as often. I keep around 1000 ready to go at all times just in case I don't get around to reloading the 100-200 or so I shoot up each week (when I can) .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old June 20, 2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Uncle Buck

Thanks guys. I see some also share in my "Disappointment".

I have got about 500 .357 Mags loaded, 250 .45 ACP, 500 .45 Colt, and the good lord knows how many .38 specials ready to go for this week-end.

Now I am out of bullets for the .45 ACP and will have to switch to lead.

But I think RClark is right, these guys will either have to bring their own ammo or start shooting more .22 LR.

I think I have a few kids coming over this week-end also, so they will start out with the .22 LR and maybe work their way up to the .38 Special.

Policing up brass? I am still finding brass on the shooting range. Seems that no matter how thorough we think we have picked up the brass, every day when we go to water the cows, I find two or three more pieces. That is one reason I like shooting the revolvers, they do not throw brass hither and yon. Open the cylinder and dump them in the bucket.
Old June 20, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
higgite

We should all be that disappointed.
Old June 20, 2012, 02:21 PM   #16
BigJimP

Its just part of the priveledge of teaching the young guys/girls in the family to shoot....

but yes, I'm not giving up my Dillon 650 ...for any of those old single stage machines ( retired or not / I want good accurate ammo - as reasonably quick as the 650 will crank it out ). But teaching them how to reload ...is part of the hobby too ....even the real young ones ...can help sort brass, etc...
Old June 23, 2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Mike40-11

Quote:
I load more in the winter than I shoot.
No kidding. Last year I finally decided I was going to get caught up on my pistol ammo over the winter. Gave up on the 100 round MTM boxes and just started throwing loose 9 in one .50 cal ammo can and .45 in another. Stopped when they were both full. Not sure how much is in them. Lots. Oughta get me through the summer anyway. Hopefully.

Now, on to the rifle!