The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1
mohr308

Speer .223/5.56 brass

Has anyone had any experience with Speer brass? Is it worth to buy 1000 cases of once fired Speer brass for $100? The brass I found is partially processed, swaged deprimed etc.
Old June 14, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Marco Califo

No. But $100 per thousand is about right. But, depriming and swaging is what you do to military crimped primer brass. So I have to ask: Are you sure they are Speer? Look at the headstamps. And if yes, why were the primers crimped?
Old June 14, 2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Adamantium

Speer crimps their 223. You can find a better deal than $100 per thousand even if that includes shipping but it will involve you processing the brass yourself.
Old June 15, 2012, 01:21 AM   #4
mohr308

There is a guy on craigslist who is local to me selling the brass. He said he tumbled, deprimed and swaged the pockets. I asked him to measure some cases for me, he said the cases range from 1.730-1.745" in length. He also mentioned that his friend sends it to him from the NM border training area. Sounds like it could be a good deal. But I know I can buy fully processed cases ready to load, LC head stamped 500 for $68.50
Old June 15, 2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Adamantium

Well it's your choice but I don't think there is a meaningful quality difference between Speer, LC or any other major commercial brand.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:08 AM   #6
kraigwy

I have access to Speer brass and find it good quality. For precision match shooting I still use Winchester but for short range practice, short range shooting (to 300 yards it works quite well).

Mine comes from the Speer 64 grn Gold Dot for LE. The primer pockets are tight, but not crimped like the LC Military stuff. I don't jump though hoops on swedging pockets on Speer brass, I load it as if it wasn't crimped.

As to price, if its once fired, then yes I's say its a good buy. You can get bulk surplus military brass cheaper, but for me, I don't think the extra work involve to get it re loadable is worth it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071