The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 12, 2011, 01:55 PM   #1
OcSpeed

Colorado, Washington Conceal Carry

Maybe my google foo is weak but I can't find out why the state of Washington doesn't recognize Colorado's CHP but it recognizes Florida states non-resident or resident. (which seems to be pretty much the same procedure and less info than Colorado's)

Who's got the answer?
Old September 12, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Does it really matter?

At present, recognition by one State of another State's permit is pretty much discretionary. True, one could make some constitutional arguments about why that might be improper. But until all of that gets sorted out by the courts, things are as they are.

If you're interested in carrying a gun concealed in the State of Washington, the important thing is to know what State permits are recognized. And once one has that information, he can look into getting a usable permit.

Washington (according to http://www.handgunlaw.us/) recognizes Florida and Utah, and one can get those non-resident permits without too much hassle. And it's not hard to get a Washington non-resident permit, but you must go there to do it.

Of course, one possible reason that Washington doesn't recognize a Colorado permit is that Colorado doesn't recognize Washington's.
Old September 12, 2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Gary Slider

Not sure of the reason. Washington has a short list of states (12) it will honor. But Colorado will honor anyone who honors theirs. At present they honor 29 states.
Washington Law on Reciprocity:

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:43 PM   #4
OcSpeed

thanks for the replies, I'm a newer resident of Colorado and from time to time I will be in Washington.

Looks like I'll be getting a Florida permit too, I was just curious about this.
Old September 12, 2011, 11:31 PM   #5
Wrothgar

Isn't there a law currently in congress to make states recognize each other's CCL's like they do driver's licenses? I forgot the name of this legislation, can anyone here give it?
Old September 20, 2011, 12:41 AM   #6
Shell

Location: sometimes southeast ohio when not trying to relocate
Ccr

I don't understand the need or desire for ccr laws. i personnally like to know if someone has a gun, and ccr by force ie. illegal open carry is discriminatory against the poor who can't afford the extra couple hundred it takes for the classes.