The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 23, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
overkill556x45

TTC/TT-33 thoughts?

I just ordered a Romanian TTC from J&G sales, and yes, I paid the extra $10 for a hand picked one. I also just threw down some cash on a spam can of Romanian 7.62x25mm. At least I'll be able to shoot over the summer now. My pile of .22lr and 9x19mm is dwindling to dangerous levels. Tokarev ammo seems to still be plentiful and cheaper than the alternatives.

Like I said, I've already spent money, so I'm not looking for advice so much as tales of wonderment involving your TTC/TT-33. For the price of the pistol and ammo, you'd think everyone and their dog would have one...or two.

So, does anyone else own a TT-33 or TTC? If so, is it as much fun as I think it will be? My only experience with the TT-33 is from when an EOD technician nearly shot himself in the foot with one while I was in Trashcanistan.

Thanks.
Old April 23, 2009, 07:09 PM   #2
fat old gun nut

TT-33 thoughts

Saw one in a pawn shop that was chambered in 9x19 (Lugar). Any thoughts on that?
Old April 23, 2009, 07:14 PM   #3
overkill556x45

Careful- that may be 9mm Largo. I've seen a lot of "drop-in" kits to convert them to 9x23mm (Largo).
Old April 23, 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
huchahuchax

I just got mine from J&G yesterday. I spent most of this afternoon cleaning it. I forgot to pay the "hand pick" fee, but the finish on mine is pretty decent. The barrel is pitted pretty bad but all the rifling is still there. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. From what I have heard, they are a handful to shoot, and that is just the kind of guns I like - I'm looking forward to it.
Old April 23, 2009, 11:27 PM   #5
grimjaw

I've had the Polish and Romanian versions of the TT-33. The Polish one was better finished, but the barrel crown was pitted. I don't know if that's what led to it shooting poorly, but it did shoot poorly with both Yugo and Romy surplus. The Romanian version I had was a good shooter, and of course the finish was typical for a Romanian product. The triggers on both were nothing to write home about, but they pistols functioned 100%.

I had fun with mine, but I didn't have enough fun to keep it. Others will have different experiences.

jm
Old April 24, 2009, 09:11 PM   #6
timgd

I had a chicom type 54 that came home with me in 68 it was fun to shoot and fairly accurate but would not cycle reliably. I don't know if it was poor quality ammo, captured , or the shrapnel wounds to the frame and slide. With ammo cheap and plentiful I would certainly consider getting another one if I could find one without the retro fit safety.
Old April 27, 2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Polish Tokarev, made by Radom. It's pleasant to shoot, within the constraints of its heavy trigger and dinky sights.
Old April 27, 2009, 04:02 PM   #8
overkill556x45

I can deal with a heavy trigger. I think the Rommies have bigger sights, but that's not a huge deal either. Being 24, I still have most of my vision.

I'm mainly buying the TTC so I can keep shooting something centerfire over the summer. There ain't nothin' on the ammo shelves here in the flatlands-- but 7.62x25mm is in stock and cheap at most online retailers. The TTC looks like a good farm companion too. Never know when a 'yote will sneak into the feed lot!

My TTC should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks for all the input! I can't wait to get the cosmoline out of it and put some rounds downrange.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:39 AM   #9
jsmaye

Quote:
I'm mainly buying the TTC so I can keep shooting something centerfire over the summer.
That's one of the reasons I bought a CZ vz-82. The 9x18 round is a little anemic compared to my others, but it's the only round on the shelves these days, along with the 7.62x25mm.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:02 AM   #10
overkill556x45

I thought about getting a vz-82 as well, but 7.62x25mm costs about half what they charge for 9x18mm. I've always wanted a Bulgarian makarov, so if I ever go the 9x18 route, that'll be my platform.

I also bought the TTC because mags and parts (even aftermarket!) are widely available and pretty cheap. As soon as my accounts recover, I'm going to build an "oh crap kit" with replacement springs and an extra firing pin or two. Of course I need about a half dozen magazines first.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:18 AM   #11
jsmaye

I would have bought a Makarov if I could have found one.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:45 PM   #12
lagavulin62

I like your ammo reasoning for buying the tt33. been considering one myself but really the 199 price is what has kept me from buying. for that price I could pickup another p64 from j&g. really need to get a second one in case my first has problems. still the tt33 and different round is tempting in this "hard times" environment. i'll be much interested to know how your first experience at the range goes so please keep us posted.
Old April 29, 2009, 05:21 PM   #13
huchahuchax

Just got back from shooting my Tokarev - not what I expected, but in a good way. I guess it was more noisy than most pistols, but recoil was hardly noticeable. I only put 50 rounds through it, but the gun cycled perfectly. The trigger on my gun seems light and smooth - I prefer it to any of my 1911's. The hardest part of shooting this gun is finding the front sight, but I wasn't rapid firing, so that wasn't too big of a deal.
Let's talk about accuracy - WOW! I was concerned because the inside of my barrel looks frosted up or pitted. I'm not worried anymore. This gun is a tack driver! Those pinko, commie, bastards were really onto something with this cartridge. It didn't take long to get bored hitting my target (a 4 inch post it note) at 10 yards, so I had to move out to 15 yards for a challenge. Even then, the challenge was finding the front sight.

All in all, I am really impressed with this gun.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Catfish25p2000

I just put about 100 rds through one of mine today. Great guns and you will NEVER find cheaper center fire ammo.
Old April 30, 2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Webleymkv

I had a Norinco 213 (their version of the Tokarev) 9mm for a while. It wasn't particularly pretty and the safety was extremely awkward to manipulate (a safety on a TT is kind of an afterthought anyway), but it was very reliable and quite accurate.
Old April 30, 2009, 01:18 PM   #16
kwells6

I've seen a TTC in .32acp at a local pawn shop here...
Old April 30, 2009, 08:19 PM   #17
overkill556x45

I got my TTC today. It had about 10 metric tons of cosmoline in it. A couple of hours and several ounces of Hoppe's Elite Solvent (highly trained solvent?) later it was clean and looking good. I am glad I opted for "hand select". The bore is bright--not mirrored--but very bright. The rifling is high and sharp. It looks like it has been very well redone. The finish is almost glossy, and there is no pitting or surface rust on it anywhere. There are a few dings along the back right side of the frame, but not a big deal.

The trigger is NICE. It has a bit of slack, but it is light and crisp once you get past the slack. Sort of like a badly done 1911. The only complaint is that the import-required thumb safety is HARD to engage. It disengages very crisply, but getting it back into position is a chore.

I will put pics up as soon as I can and a range report. My wife just got in a car wreck (she's fine, but the car is done for) so I'll be pretty busy in the near future.
Old April 30, 2009, 10:46 PM   #18
huchahuchax

My safety was hard too. It has taken a little bit of fighting with it, but mine has loosened up.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:05 AM   #19
454 gunner

If you want to get ALL of the cosmoline gone, use gasoline, it seems to melt off very quick compared to other methods. Less time cleaning, more time shooting your new toy.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:27 AM   #20
jsmaye

To me, the extra flammability hazard of gasoline (and acetone) is not worth the few minutes saved by their expediency.