The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2009, 12:26 AM   #1
ragwd

OAL

I am new to reloading, have about 200 rounds sucessfully down range but it seems as I am still learning. In reading other threads on this forum some one said that the over all length has different effect on rifle cartridges than pistol cartridges. So I have been looking at different load sources and I see a difference in OAL of the 45ACP. I have loaded to a OAL of 1.25 so far, but I see some loads suggesting a shorter OAL, down as far as 1.2 and 1.22. I am loading 45acp with S&B once fired with remington primers with 230fmj rn using 5.0 grains of hodgdon HP-38 powder to a over all length of 1.250. So my question is what effect would shortening the OAL to 1.2 have. I am a bit wary of trying it so I am asking ?
Old March 25, 2009, 01:02 AM   #2
dmazur

Here's a link to quite a few loads for the .45 ACP -

.45 ACP load data

You are correct. There is considerable variation in OAL for what appears to be similar bullet weights.

Unfortunately, the load data doesn't show the manufacturer of the bullet, and bullet shape can vary for the same weight. Especially JHP's. This can mean different OAL's for 200gr bullets, for example.

I understand that dangerous overpressures can develop in pistol calibers from "bullet setback", which is just about the same thing as ignoring load data and seating a bullet deeper than specified.

In reality, a few thousandths variation in seating depth probably won't cause any harm, but I would be very cautious when deviating from published data.

Wikipedia shows OAL for the .45ACP as 1.260" -

.45 ACP
Old March 25, 2009, 01:05 AM   #3
capbuster

Since you are using a 230grain bullet you might want to use an oal that comes close to factory ball ammo. If 1.250 is cycling ok,you might want to keep using it. The lighter bullets are shorter and therefore a shorter oal is listed for them.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:52 AM   #4
MDB

I loaded up different OAL. From 1.190 to 1.275. What cycled through my CZ97B the best was 1.245. I got good accuracy and no feeding problems at that OAL. I was loading Oregon Trail Laser Cast 230gr. RN. See what works best for you.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:36 AM   #5
SL1

ragwd,

I just finished typing something that will help you understand. It is here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=347259

If your COL is working for you, I don't understand why you would change it.

But, if your question has to do with using data that only specifies a bullet weight and whether it is lead or jacketed (like the Lee manual), then I understand your problem. One thing you can do is to try to trace the load back to its source and get more info, such as bullet manufacturer and cartridge COL (and probably case headstamp, primer and test gun that produced the velocities). Lee simply copied the loading data provided by all of the powder manufacturers and printed it in his book. So, you can start by looking at the powder manufacturers' web site to get the rest of the info. But, in some cases, those loads have changed since Lee wrote his book, and you will see that things like pressure and velocity don't match. In that case, you can ask on this forum if some of the guys with old "powder guides" can identify the load and give you the rest of the info.

That is probably a wise thing to do when you are loading for full power. But, if you are only loading target-level ammo that is well below max pressure, then it isn't really necessary.

SL1
Old March 25, 2009, 09:50 AM   #6
ragwd

Thanks for the input guys, I do read my threads and listen to what you guys say. I am a noob and trying to learn. I understand that if 1.25 is working why change? Well I haven't changed yet, but I am trying to understand a bit more.
SL1, it was hodgdons powder web site that suggested 1.2, I do have Speers and Horandy load books. For the same bullet, 230 fmj RN , there are different COL's among the 3 that I have just said. I am just trying to understand. Most of my factory loads are 1.25 . So for that bullet I am getting a range from 1.2 to 1.26 . Thats a range of .06 or about 1/16 of a inch. It just seems like alot and was hoping to understand why. MDB it sound as though your CZ will cycle anything. Did it start to show sign of over pressure at that lower range ? Capbuster, I am running low on my supply of 230 fmj RN and I just got 1000 rounds of 200 fmj RN, so i will be trying a lighter bullet soon. Thanks again all for your patience with my noob question, as I read this forum I do see alot of beginners asking question, has it always been like this or has the liberal scare brought out a horde of noobes?
Old March 25, 2009, 12:58 PM   #7
SL1

Quote:
has it always been like this or has the liberal scare brought out a horde of noobes?
Both.

SL1
Old March 25, 2009, 04:56 PM   #8
MDB

When I got up to 1.260 they would not feed. So I went back down to find the best one. You have to keep in mind "head space" for the 45. I dropped them in my barrel to be sure they would work. Try to keep them even with the barrel hood maybe minus .001 to .003. I didn't have any issues with pressure. See what works for you. Also do some research on "bullet ogive" as that will help.
Old March 25, 2009, 05:52 PM   #9
tiberius10721

first time I reloaded 45 acp I was using my lee manual and it gave me a minimum overall length 1.19 so i loaded my first round to that length and looked at it and it just looked to short.so I just readjusted the length to 1.24 and my reloads worked fine.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:42 PM   #10
LHB1

For .45 ACP, the OAL is dependent on bullet chosen (weight and shape), and is selected to optimize feeding and chambering. Then the powder type and charge are adjusted to be within safe pressure limits for that OAL (seating depth). IME, an OAL of 1.240"-1.250" has been an almost universal optimum length for most 200 gr and 230 gr bullets in 1911's. At less than 1.220" or more than 1.260", feeding problems "may" occur. Note: OAL for short nosed bullets and 185 gr bullets may be shorter than quoted above.