The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2009, 05:10 PM   #26
crowbeaner

Considering the price of a new Beretta, Browning, or Ruger O/U, I'll stick with my old A5 auto. It only has one barrel to regulate, it holds one more shell than the doubles with the plug installed, and the bead is regulated right where it should be. More barrels, more problems getting the pattern centered. $800 will buy a very nice used Browning auto, and is used gun territory for a double of either persuasion. Besides, the double guns I've shot would shoot in front of and behind the bird (SXS) or above and below the bird (O/U). Maybe I need new spectacles. CB.
Old March 24, 2009, 06:29 PM   #27
BigJimP

OneOunce - you must be talking about Zippy13's money ( he's the one with the Perazzi's - I'm just shooting these cheap Brownings ...).

But I understand what you're saying / and when you are seeing so many ups and downs in your scores - maybe its time to seek out a buddy or a coach to help you out a little. I suffer from blurry vision in my dominant eye (that can't be corrected ) so some days I'm up and down too - and in the bigger picture, not sure I really care.

5 Stand is a unique game - especially when they change the cards / and depending on how you mix in the pairs .....so you can't really compare scores day to day unless you're shooting the same cards day after day.

CB - I understand / and if we aren't careful, the competitive shooting sports are only going to be available to people that have a lot of disposable income ( and that will be too bad ). But honestly, I preach a lot about "fit" and "adjustability" in a shotgun - that most gun dealers know little or nothing about - so if we can help a guy buy one shotgun / that will really be adjustable and fit him or her - then I think we've save them a lot of money and frustration. Unfortunately, to get to a parallel comb gun, with adjustability - at least in an O/U it puts you into the $ 2,500 plus price range - but if the Auto 5 works for you /stay with it.

I want to also make a point that virtually any gun can be made to fit - by putting comb pads on it, by changing recoil pads - and probably for less than $ 100 per gun ( so buying a Reminton 870 pump for $ 300 / a used Browning Lightning for $ 900 / etc - are all solid and durable guns ( for probably 10,000 shells ) so almost any gun can work fine. But its like skiing, golf, etc - sometimes better equipment will make a difference.