The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 14, 2008, 12:23 AM   #1
zahnzieh

coyote/vermin control?

Anybody here try offering coyote/vermin control to landowners/farmers in exchange for hunting privileges? I know its been done but probably means running a trap-line. Alot of landowners would be grateful for such a service since professional exterminators are expensive.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
hoytinak

Alot of the farmers and ranchers around here would work out a trade with you like that years ago but too many people started tearing and shooting stuff up that they had no business around so now an honset person can't find any private land to hunt on unless it's there own.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:33 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I do offer the hog removal to land owners but have yet to offer yote removal. I hope to expand my hog doggin service to hunt club leases after deer season. Unlike the farmer who hasn't got to offer me anything in return, I will require either a per pig fee or a free partial membership to their lease.
Brent
Old November 14, 2008, 12:40 AM   #4
redwing 40

ZAHAN , The Government has banned most of the Coyote Getters poison cartridges. These bans are on Public land in the west range land. Most of the Big ranches have there own trappers year around.
All that being said, One of the largest ranches here on the Wyoming Utah Border pays $50.00 a coyote. You must get a written order from the owner this permit will prove to Range Riders that you are not trespassing. This relation has also provided the taking of Elk. All in All a good deal.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:45 AM   #5
redwing 40

Hog dog How do you remove the hogs? My friends down in Texas use traps. Yes don't tell me very carefully.
Old November 14, 2008, 01:00 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have trapped previously, now I prefer to run dogs on them. If I had actual cash customers to pay for me to build traps at $300+ for materials I would trap and run dogs. Trapping just don't get enuff of the big breeder hogs as they are too smart for the trap. You get alot of weener up to 75 or so pounds for a big majority. If I had both traps and dogs I would trap first for a few weeks until I am getting very few of any size then when I run my dogs I would have fewer small ones wasting my time and my dog's energy. In a perfect world I would be paid a $500 set up fee to place 2 or 3 traps, a $50 or so fee per pig over 50-100 pounds to cover my fuel and corn bills with a hundred dollar fee for over 50-100 pound pigs. But it not realistic as other guys claim they will do it free but they go around doing sneaky releases then claiming they are doing a good job.
Brent
Old November 14, 2008, 08:22 AM   #7
zahnzieh

Thanks for the responses guys! I am from Illinois and we do not have hog problems in these parts. I guess my question is eventhough this is a hunting forum: Has anybody run traps (leg-hold or otherwise) for coyote,coon, mink,bobcat in exchange for hunting priveleges. i personally know a dairy farmer who has had calf losses due to coyotes and there is nobody around here running traps. The money seems to be out of trapping. Another angle is to shoot coyotes for these guys wherever feasible. I have no experience with trapping, just thought I'd get some info. thanks
Old November 14, 2008, 09:01 AM   #8
redwing 40

Hog dog what do you do with the meat? Do you butcher them? About how many hogs would you remove a year? Are there any Game laws regarding these critters?
Old November 14, 2008, 12:16 PM   #9
katana8869

I got into all of the properties that I have been coyote and hog hunting here in FL using this approach. It works out for both parties and the "friend of a friend" network is still strong among the Good ol' Boys in these parts. Getting to know the right people and being respectful and responsible can go a long way toward getting your name out as a person who can be trusted.

Landowners only want people around who are safe and who handle themselves responsibly. Show yourself to be that kind of person and get a good name in the community. I went from being a guest on a friends property to having my choice of 5 different places with 5 different owners to hunt on now