The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 9, 2017, 03:37 PM   #1
stagpanther

Speaking of triggers...

sorry--retracted for "bad information"

Last edited by stagpanther; December 10, 2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old December 9, 2017, 03:42 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Geissele SSA's are the only trigger I'll use in my AR's they do everything I want them to do. And with all of them being the same I don't have to "learn" each trigger when I switch what I'm shooting.

They work great on the range and in the woods.
Old December 9, 2017, 04:33 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Geissele SSA's are the only trigger I'll use in my AR's they do everything I want them to do
I've installed a couple of SSA's and totally agree they are among the best. However, I can deal with a slightly less precise and a tad more gritty trigger group at 1/4 of the cost if my sub-MOA groups can't tell the difference.
Old December 9, 2017, 05:16 PM   #4
WVsig

I love the SSA but for the money it is hard to beat the LaRue MBT-2s. You can get them often for $99. They are different than the SSA but I cannot say that one is better than the other.

The test of your PSA trigger will be how long it holds and is reliable. For example people love the RRA 2 stage until it loses its first stage and becomes a single stage trigger.
Old December 9, 2017, 06:41 PM   #5
GLK

I have two PSA EPT's one installed one still in the bag. The one that is installed is a great $30.00 upgrade from factory "mil-spec"and the other is still in the bag . They(EPT's)beat factory mass produced FCGs by far, but are not near the quality or as dependable as a Geissele FCG. My first Geissele is among the first sold publicly it has electro pencil etched #s and I believe is was marketed as the Geissele Super Semi Auto, no SSA or SSA-E at that time, it also has a trigger that is like a burnt bronze in color with the G stamping.
Old December 9, 2017, 10:16 PM   #6
DubC-Hicks

I did like my PSA EPT trigger a lot- especially for $30.

The trigger that I've been most surprised by, though, is the Rise Armament RA-434. Almost flat trigger, extremely crisp break, and almost no overtravel. My favorite trigger under $200 so far.
Old December 9, 2017, 11:18 PM   #7
stagpanther

Last edited by stagpanther; December 10, 2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old December 10, 2017, 12:30 AM   #8
ed308

How's that PSA trigger compare to LaRue's MBT? That's my current favorite. I think I'm up to 5 of those now.
Old December 10, 2017, 01:07 AM   #9
DubC-Hicks

A factory EPT trigger doesn't compare with the MBT. But IMO it's the best milspec style NIB trigger. Compared to the ALG, BCM, Spike's. A great value at $30
Old December 10, 2017, 06:34 AM   #10
stagpanther

Last edited by stagpanther; December 10, 2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:24 AM   #11
Nathan

I have the EPT. Pull weight is heavy...like 6 lbs....better than stock LPK triggers by a long shot! Creep is ok when new and or clean, but a few hundred rounds and it is creepy again. Cleaning fixes this.

I like it ok for my 0-300 yd....mostly 0-50 yd middy, but not an accuracy trigger.

Would likely be better with lighter trigger spring....or some tweaking.

Last edited by Nathan; December 10, 2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:58 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
I have the EPT. Pull weight is heavy...like 6 lbs. Creep is ok when new and or clean, but a few hundred rounds and it is creepy again.

I like it ok for my 0-300 yd....mostly 0-50 yd middy, but not an accuracy trigger.

Would likely be better with lighter trigger spring....or some tweaking.
Go to Joebobs and order the Kaw (or get the JP set which I found reduces the pull over the Kaw set by another .25 lbs or so) spring set for $19 which comes with the adjuster for free--you can thanks me later.
Old December 10, 2017, 11:07 AM   #13
PPGMD

Quote:
...have a nice beefy hammer--I like that since it reduces the probablity of light-strike failures...
Common misconception. If you want to prevent light strikes a lighter hammer is better. It transfers more energy to the firing pin. That is why nearly every match trigger for a hammer fired gun comes with a lightened hammer. As with the reduced power springs you can still get enough energy to ignite primers.
Old December 10, 2017, 12:06 PM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
Common misconception. If you want to prevent light strikes a lighter hammer is better. It transfers more energy to the firing pin. That is why nearly every match trigger for a hammer fired gun comes with a lightened hammer. As with the reduced power springs you can still get enough energy to ignite primers.
Actually--in a fit of retraction "I don't know what I'm talking about" --please ignore my comments as the ramblings of a home tinkerer.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 10, 2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old December 10, 2017, 01:48 PM   #15
DubC-Hicks

Hey Stag, I like what ya did. I'm a fan of budget, and like to save money where I can. Not every rifle needs a $150+ trigger and yours sounded perfect for a milspec style.
Old December 10, 2017, 02:02 PM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
Hey Stag, I like what ya did. I'm a fan of budget, and like to save money where I can. Not every rifle needs a $150+ trigger and yours sounded perfect for a milspec style.
Thanks, It works great for me--but I realized that I perhaps went over the line in generalizing on how well it would work for others. Gotta watch that.
Old December 10, 2017, 02:49 PM   #17
CarJunkieLS1

Stag I completely understand what you are saying and it seems like a good upgrade over a stock trigger for not a lot of money. For me and my tastes I like to have every trigger I have feel the same. My semi autos share the same type trigger, and my bolt guns all have the same trigger.

That way each rifle will "break the shot" the same and I won't have to "learn" each rifles trigger eveytime I swap rifles at the range or in the woods.
Old December 10, 2017, 05:04 PM   #18
marine6680

I have an ALG ACT in my dedicated 22lr build... Very nice for a mil spec style trigger.

From what I hear the PSA version isn't quite as good, but it is half the price.

For most people an ALG ACT, BCM PNT, or the PSA version... Would be all they need. About the best a mil spec trigger can be.

I have one Larue MBT, which is excellent, and at the "I can wait" price is the best deal going. Some don't like the wider trigger now, but it doesn't bother me.

The rest of my triggers are Geissele... I am very fond of the SSA and G2S... The G2S when on sale, is a great way to go for a defensive rifle.
Old December 24, 2017, 09:19 AM   #19
BWM

I like the single trigger I have guns with Timney and the Velocity triggers 3lb up to 4lb I have started to use the Velocity it looks like the Timney and it is about 60.00 cheaper and it is as good if not better.