The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 16, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1
9mm

Colt 6920 or BCM MOD 2

Hi, really want an AR-15/M4 but I am stuck on two choices

BCM MOD 2, I really like the setup, downside does not have a carry handle. Does anyone know what the sights are on these vs the Colt 6920? I like to know which would be better. They use a TROY drop in 7" rail. Would want to buy a carry handle. $1,250ish

Colt LE6920 model 556/223, has a carry handle, no idea how the sights work when its removed/compared to BCM MOD 2's sights. Plain rails, which I would buy a TROL drop in 7" in the future. $1,150ish I remember when the President got into office these were like $1499.99

Both would need a bipod, and forgrip added.

I don't know how far a iron sights on a M4 would go, I guess around 100-200m?
Old June 16, 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Auto426

The sights on the BCM look like their own folding battle sight, which according to their website is manufactured by Troy.

The Colt 6920 comes with the removable carry handle which is itself the rear sight. When it's removed, you have to add either a rear iron sight or an optic to the flat top. If you shop around you should be able to find a 6920 for right around $1000.

There is very little difference between the rifles themselves, so it pretty much comes down to which name you want on the side of the lower. There's tons of different options for rails, and both rifles leave it open for you to choose nearly anything you want as long as it works with the standard front iron sight.
Old June 16, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
9mm

Colt been making M4's from the 70's?

This is why I really am looking at them over the BCM. But the BCM has a nice set up already.

But for only $100 difference the BCM would be better, $150 rail and $80 sights...

Last edited by 9mm; June 16, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old June 16, 2012, 05:40 PM   #4
5RWill

Both are mil-spec and really of the same quality. Both are excellent. BCM outshines them in the warranty area though.
Old June 16, 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
tomrkba

Quote:
BCM MOD 2, I really like the setup, downside does not have a carry handle. Does anyone know what the sights are on these vs the Colt 6920? I like to know which would be better. They use a TROY drop in 7" rail. Would want to buy a carry handle. $1,250ish
Forget the carry handle; the optic goes there. The proper way to carry the weapon is in either the ready position of your choice with or without sling, or the weapon is slung.

Both are good guns and are about the same. Buy the brand you prefer. But, since this is The Firing Line, I am obligated to encourage you to buy both. No decision necessary.
Old June 16, 2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Auto426

Quote:
Colt been making M4's from the 70's?

This is why I really am looking at them over the BCM. But the BCM has a nice set up already.
Colt was the originator of the M4 and a great deal more AR-15 variations that have come out over the years. They've been playing around with the design ever since they obtained the rights from Armalite in 1959.

As I said earlier they are roughly equivalent, and it basically comes down to the name you want on the side. If you want a Colt with a rail already on it there is a new SOCOM model floating around that comes from the factory with a quad rail already installed. I believe it uses a Magpul flip up rear sight though, so you would still have to purchase a carry handle separately if you want one.
Old June 16, 2012, 09:08 PM   #7
9mm

uuug Colt 6920 socom $1500 lol...

I think BCM won me over, I guess I will have to forget the carry handle for now. And later get the 6920 with carry handle.
Old June 16, 2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Auto426

The SOCOM is a new model, so seeing the prices a bit on the inflated side isn't surprising.

As far as the carry handle goes, you don't have to buy a 6920 to get one. The carry handle is removable, and simply mounts onto the picatinny rail on the flat top upper. You can buy a carry handle for less than $100 and mount it on your BCM and end up with basically the same thing as a 6920, just with a quad rail.
Old June 17, 2012, 12:59 PM   #9
RT

Both a 6920 or BCM are great rifles. Chrome-lined 1:7 barrels, HP/MPI tested bolts and barrels.
Choose whichever rollmark you like best.
Forget the carry handle and look into an Aimpoint PRO with Magpul MBUS back up sights.
http://www.sportoptics.com/aimpoint-pro-12841.aspx

The Aimpoints are very rugged and it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will be able to break it. (Check out the Daniel Defense torture test to see what an Aimpoint T-1 can handle.)
You also don't really need a rail. The Magpul MOE handguards will allow you to mount a vertical grip.
http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/184

That way you can decide if you really want/ need a quad rail. Don't really need a bipod on a 16 inch carbine, use your vertical grip or magazine as a monopod.
Just my opinion.
Old June 17, 2012, 04:02 PM   #10
myshoulderissore

This is a LE6920 with a bunch of Magpul swag already on it, just under 1200, and the 6920 is a fine rifle!

Carry handles are bogus, BCM makes a great rifle also (I hear), so really, you can't go wrong. Just budget in for an optic (low power high quality scope or a red dot) and MASS QUANTITIES of ammo to feed it!
Old June 18, 2012, 04:10 PM   #11
FlyerXD

There are 2 versions of the 6920 both have all the Magpul furniture and backup flip sight. There is one with an R designation that also comes with Troy rails.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:01 AM   #12
9mm

My dealer showed me a 6920, thats MOE model, free forend grip it with it. I am sold...

Thanks for your help guys, Colt won me over, via being the first maker of them.