The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Jim567

Danger of Pocket Carry

I had an incident today, of all places the gun range!!
I took my daughter and her boyfriend to shoot. He had never fired a weapon before.
I was pocket carrying my Ruger LCP in a pocket holster, right front pocket.
The boyfriend was sitting at the bench with my AK. I was totally focused on him as he loaded three rounds into the AK mag, inserted into the rifle, released the safety charged the bolt and prepared to fire.
I was TOTALLY focused on the situation, standing close to him but behind the red line when ----
I feel something move in my right pocket!
Shocked!
My daughter wanted my cel phone, reached in and grabbed the LCP, had it out of the holster ( halfway or more ) before I could react. " What's this!" she says.
I could not believe it!
I was upset and told her so.
The pistol very well could have gone off. I admit I am not comfortable with a round in the chamber, fortunately in this case!
In the past, my wife has gone into my pocket unannounced for something, car keys, cel phone. That was a first for my daughter ugh!!!!
Something to think about.
For the record - I would never think about going in some one else's pocket. I carry nothing in the right front pocket but the LCP.
Old July 2, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Maybe the problem could be avoided by letting your daughter and wife know you carry a gun in that pocket and that they shouldn't go fishing around there.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 2, 2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Doyle

I agree with Frank. The list of people that would go fishing around in your pockets is very small. Anyone else looses fingers.
Old July 2, 2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

The danger is in your, and your family's neglagent actions when it comes to you carrying a firearm. They should know not to be reaching into your pocket anytime.
Quote:
My daughter wanted my cel phone, reached in and grabbed the LCP, had it out of the holster ( halfway or more ) before I could react. " What's this!" she says.
You took your daughter's boyfriend to the range to shoot your AK, and you haven't taught your daughter enough about guns to know what one feel like?
Unless your cell phone is in one of those really dumb cases that look like a pistol she should have known without asking. But then again, she should have known not to reach into your pocket.

Quote:
I admit I am not comfortable with a round in the chamber, fortunately in this case!
Does this mean you carry the LCP without a round in the chamber?
Even with a round chambered it would take a high level of deliberate action to discharge a DAO, hammer fired LCP. Someone would have to know they were pulling the trigger.
Seems in addition to neglecting to inform people to stay out of your pocket there might be a bit of paranoia involved as well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 2, 2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Limnophile

Call a family meeting, show them your LCP and holster and how you carry it in your pocket. Inform them that invading your pockets is thus dangerous and verboten. Also, show them how to safely handle and shoot the LCP.

If one keeps loaded guns outside a locked and secured safe, even on you, family members need to know of their presence and how to handle them safely.
Old July 2, 2015, 02:57 PM   #6
JERRYS.

I too fail to see the fault in the gun or mode of carry.
Old July 2, 2015, 04:00 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

Lots of good comments posted and I agree with all of them 100%. This one falls squarely on YOU.
Old July 2, 2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Jim567

Thank you all for the comments. Anytime an incident happens -- it should be a learning tool. That is why I shared.

I will continue to pocket carry. I did not mean to trash that method of concealment. I did think about a pickpocket scenario later.

Note - I purposely did not let my daughter know I was carrying. She is 16. She will blurt out inappropriate statements as any 16 year old can do.
My first thought when I started to carry was that this could escalate a situation if one occurred. So - right or wrong I purposely did not let her know I conceal carry. Think on the scenarios that could go South if the wrong information was made public at the wrong time. I would trust her not to tell anyone I was carrying. BUT in a dangerous situation I would not trust her not to slip and blurt something out.

The LCP is the same texture and size and thickness as my cel phone. She could not know what she had her hand on.

I will not back off my choice to carry this pistol un chambered the vast majority of the time. The trigger is very light on the second generation.

Again, thanks for every ones input.

I wanted to give my reason right or wrong for why I didn't tell her I was carrying. It was not because I wasn't thinking about it. Right or wrong, I have to take responsibility - I never thought about someone going in my pocket without asking. Even though my wife had done it twice before over the years, so shame on me.
Old July 2, 2015, 04:41 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

No shame, it's all about learning. You brought up a good scenario that most of us wouldn't think about. I said it's all on you but that doesn't mean you're alone in making a mistake. I'll bet the other posters who pointed out a mistake you made could fess up to one of their own over time. I know I can, and yes it was my fault. I believe you'll be a safer gun owner as a result of this. Thanks for sharing.
Old July 2, 2015, 04:43 PM   #10
Jim567

Yep --- not a normal scenario
ugh!!!!

Information is safety.
I don't mind taking heat to contribute.
Old July 2, 2015, 06:16 PM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
Note - I purposely did not let my daughter know I was carrying. She is 16. She will blurt out inappropriate statements as any 16 year old can do.
Having raised two kids, I can agree with that. However, that tends to hold true only with things that they find out-of-the-ordinary. For example, they wouldn't even think about blurting out that you are carrying a cell phone or car keys in your pocket - they just naturally expect them to be there. If you can get her to the point of expecting you to be armed, then it will become normal for her and therefore out of mind.
Old July 2, 2015, 08:24 PM   #12
JERRYS.

you need a heart to heart talk with your daughter. mine is 13 and wouldn't say blurt out anything like that.
Old July 2, 2015, 08:39 PM   #13
Jim567

God bless you Jerry.
Both my wife and daughter have an attitude.
It's the attitude of someone who has lead a life where they have never seen violence. Never been in a fist fight and had a bloody nose.
They do not understand things can get physical and messy and dangerous.
It's an attitude of --- arrogance and nativity.
They did not get it from me. I have been around the block.
Don't think I have not discussed it with them both.
They choose to have the attitude. It's dangerous. I have had to deal with the aftermath a time or two. It was lucky ---
Their life experience is different and more sheltered than mine. They hold to that.
My words fall on deaf ears. It can't happen to them, they just know it. They know it as strongly as I know it can. I am not the only one with this problem on this forum. I have seen other posters allude to it.
Old July 2, 2015, 08:42 PM   #14
Jim567

Not saying I couldn't be/do better.
I fight safety issues with them almost weekly - my last was two days ago with power tools. Trust me it's always a fight.
Understand my drift.
Old July 2, 2015, 08:49 PM   #15
JERRYS.

Jim, 'I've been there with my wife. I'm in law enforcement and my daughter understands more than my wife does.

my wife never understood why I took my duty boots off before I came in the house... even after I told her. she didn't understand a lot even after I told her until I had her watch a few real world dash and body cam videos on the net.

t.v. shows like cops don't do it.... she had to see real non-scripted, no back up, no camera crew, no break for a commercial.....

Last edited by JERRYS.; July 2, 2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old July 2, 2015, 09:18 PM   #16
dakota.potts

JERRYS, I know this is off topic, but now you have me curious.

Why do you take your duty boots off before coming in? Do you mind sharing? I'm interested to know what that means for your tactics
Old July 2, 2015, 09:28 PM   #17
Jim567

Funny D P
I read an artical today about never wearing your shoes inside - the germs they track in --- would freak you out.
Old July 2, 2015, 09:31 PM   #18
JERRYS.

Dakota, after standing in urine, blood, vomit, and God only knows what else.... even after stepping in a pan of disinfectant I take them off before trudging through the house.
Old July 2, 2015, 09:34 PM   #19
dakota.potts

I understand.

I was thinking of a different kind of personal safety, wasn't even on that train of thought. But it makes sense now.
Old July 2, 2015, 09:35 PM   #20
Jim567

Ugh and ugh
Old July 4, 2015, 11:21 AM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

drift - closed.