The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2005, 09:43 PM   #1
.30-06 Springfield

30-06 Primers

Hey,
I'm new to reloading and I was wondering what primers to use?
I read where it says 30-06 needs medium burning powder to be most efficent.
So I think regular rifle primers but at the local gun store they told me to use magmun primers and I would get a better load.
So which one is better regular or magnum?
I use IMR4350 powder.
Old May 6, 2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

First of all, welcome to TFL!

Two pieces of advice are in order: 1) you'll often find that folks at gun shops don't always know what they are talking about. A blanket statement like that is irresponsible.
2) if you don't have one or two reloading manuals, you need to get them before you can think about any serious reloading.

IMR4350 doesn't require a magnum primer so a standard one is what you need. It isn't a question of which primer type is better, they are designed to ignite different types of powders. Think of it as similar to octane in gasoline. Some engines require a higher octane (higher compression needs a slower burning gasoline) and some require a lower octane. Neither type of modern gas is "better" than the other. (No discussions of additives is necessary - it's an analogy. )
Old May 6, 2005, 10:09 PM   #3
armedandsafe

I've been loading 30-06 with IMR 4350 and standard primers for over 50 years, without ever feeling I needed magnum primers. Stick with the standards.

Get your manuals and read them. Also, get the Lyman Reloading Handbook and read it.

Be warned, though, reloading is ADDICTIVE!

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old May 7, 2005, 06:04 PM   #4
Tim R

Primers can make a difference on group size. I use IMR 4350 for my '06 hunting loads and use a std. CCI primer.
Old May 7, 2005, 06:46 PM   #5
DanV1317

i've been loading imr 4350 and 4064 for my 8mmm mauser with cci large rifle primers. no problems so far. Was shooting about 6 inches with factory ammo, got the group down to 3 (iron sights). probably could get closer, but i have been in a slump for the past 20 years with my aim (i'm 20 years old).
Old May 7, 2005, 07:33 PM   #6
cracked butt

I wouldn't bother with a magnum primer in a 30-06 unless you are using a ball powder. With IMR powders, use a standard primer.
Old May 7, 2005, 09:45 PM   #7
Ruger4570

There is absolutly no need for a magnum primer with the powder you are using in a 30-06. If you go to the ball powders, it might be helpful. Best bet is to follow the "recipe" in a loading manual. These loads have been tested and proven safe.
I also totally agree with MalH: just because some guy works in a gun shop doesn't make him an expert and I would never try a load recommended by anyone from any source without at least seeing how it stacks up against what my reloading manuals say. A safe ?? hot load in his gun could be a bomb in yours. Welcome and Good Luck
Old May 7, 2005, 10:43 PM   #8
.30-06 Springfield

I have a nosler reloading manual
I use 168 Ballistic slivertips
57 grains of imr 4350
But thanks for all the replys
Old May 9, 2005, 02:41 PM   #9
cheygriz

I don't use magnum primers except in .300 WinMag and .375 H&H.

I've been using Remington 9 1/2 standard large rifle primers in my .30-06 and .308 loads for over 25 years. And I use **BALL powder* exclusively in both calibres. In my target guns, I have loads that shoot 1/2 nch groups in both calibres.