The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2019, 08:15 AM   #1
Mainah

Might Move From ME to NC

After 34 years of Maine winters I've had enough. We're looking at North Carolina. I'm evaluating my options for moving my guns, and thinking about selling a couple before we leave. I'd like to continue hunting whitetail and birds, and I'm excited about the possibility of hunting pigs too.

Currently I've got a Model 94 (late sixties 30/30 so the value isn't great), an 870, 10/22, and an H&R 12 gauge single shot. Any advice on what I should think about selling and what to keep? I've also got several handguns that I'll probably ship dealer to dealer. I figured I'd break down the 870 in MA, NY, and NJ for the drive down. I'd like to go with an AR for pigs when I get to NC. But I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
Old March 18, 2019, 08:44 AM   #2
Fla_dogman

Not sure of the value of what you mentioned to sell but as far as an AR for pigs I'd wait till I settled in in my new place and see if they have 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC ammo available where are. I've recently switched from the .223 to the Grendel and it has made a huge difference. Just my thoughts. My hunting buddy has an AR 10 and it gets heavy quickly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old March 18, 2019, 09:41 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Since a .30-30 will work on pigs, I wouldn't sell anything.

It's long been common for rural folks to have an old single-shot shotgun leaning by the front door, in case of in case.
Old March 18, 2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Doyle

Why do you think you need to pay the expense of dealer-to-dealer shipping for the handguns? Just box them up good and ship them with household goods.
Old March 18, 2019, 01:16 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

I see nothing there that justifies selling.
They'll all be useful in NC, too.
Old March 18, 2019, 02:52 PM   #6
stinkeypete

According to the ATF, you may ship firearms with your moving company when moving your household providing you inform the moving company.

I would break down, pad and box those long guns that easily break down. I’d hang on to the 30-30 as one of the very few I regret selling was a 30-30 and it’s a terrible time of year to be selling hunting guns.

I would buy a nice padded locking travel case designed for photography gear and transport my handguns myself. Boxed and locked and no ammunition.

That case... i’ve used mine steadily for years. I like that it doesn’t look like guns to any observer.

Check the atf website yourself, of course! They have a “frequently asked question” about it you can find.
Old March 18, 2019, 03:09 PM   #7
NHSHOOTER

I too would hang on to what you have, wait until you get down there and see what the locals use, some NC deer hunting is long range bean field type stuff. As far as shipping/traveling with your firearms I agree with "check the atf website" it is a invaluable place to find out what is and isnt legal shipping wise.
Old March 18, 2019, 04:23 PM   #8
Mainah

Great advice everyone, thank you! Looks like I'm keeping everything and I can maybe use the transfer fees on something new instead.
Old March 18, 2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Mobuck

I concur on the recommendation of 6.8 SPC in the AR 15. I have 6.5 G also but haven't actually shot anything that bleeds with that one so can't say if it's better/worse. Neither is significantly "better" than a 30/30 but either is likely to be more accurate and provide longer range than a 30/30.
Old March 19, 2019, 07:55 AM   #10
taylorce1

Don't forget NC has some of the biggest black bears anywhere, if you're even interested in BB hunting.
Old March 27, 2019, 06:22 PM   #11
BIGR

Quote:
Don't forget NC has some of the biggest black bears anywhere, if you're even interested in BB hunting.
Yelp for a fact, many of them over 500 pounds.
Old March 29, 2019, 07:23 AM   #12
GeauxTide

AR

Second on the Grendel. Mine shoots 123SST to 2500fps with CFE223. And, .3" 5 shot groups.
Old March 29, 2019, 12:14 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

Swapping Maine winters for North Carolina hurricanes and humidity? Can you not just move your property when you go?
"...it’s a terrible time of year..." It is for 'deer' rifles. Not too bad for varmint rifles. Don't see any reason to sell just because you're moving either.
It is alleged that Pennsylvania has the biggest black bears in North America. 500 pounds isn't big though. Our record is one shot in New Brunswick that weighed 902 pounds 'dressed'. Estimated at 1100 pounds live weight. Some guy up in the Nipissing area(Northern Ontario), shot one weighing 780 pounds with a cross bow in 2007.
Old March 29, 2019, 04:22 PM   #14
Jim Watson

Study your travel route.
You are supposedly entitled to travel with your guns, unloaded and not accessible from the passenger compartment, but some of those jurisdictions do not recognize it and a traffic stop or wreck could get you jailed.
Old March 29, 2019, 08:13 PM   #15
jmr40

Where in NC? Eastern Carolina along the coast is a different state than the mountains in the west. I live in North Ga and have spent a lot of time on both sides of the TN/NC border from GA to VA. A lot less in the eastern part of the state. Both have their advantages, but where you move may determine which guns work best for you.

I'd keep what I have and pack them carefully in my personal vehicle when I make the move.

And while I wouldn't spend 34 winters there visiting Maine is on my bucket list. Always said I'd walk there from GA on the AT. A thru hike probably ain't gonna happen at this point, but I'll make it soon.

Winston Churchill
Old March 31, 2019, 05:38 AM   #16
Mainah

Thanks. I'm grateful for my time here, Maine is an amazing place. Just time for a change.

Looks like I'll keep everything in my collection. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old March 31, 2019, 06:23 PM   #17
stagpanther

I've been on Mt Desert since 1976--though not always full time. I spent time down south in Chattanooga in the winter--the biggest difference you'll notice is the HUGE amount of public accessible and maintained hunting land down south compared to Maine. Winters are tough up here--this one was an icy mess--but I honestly don't know if a winter here is as bad as hot humid summer down south. Although a ton of snow is something you can't ignore. Southern heat always makes me sleepy and lethargic. Hogs are--destructive.
Old April 1, 2019, 07:25 AM   #18
Mainah

I lived in Bar Harbor from 85-89, I still miss the island sometimes. It is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen. But I'd sure welcome more access to public land, it is tough to find here.

Several years ago my wife was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease. She found the tick, but never got the rash and she didn't get the bite treated. Within two years her health went way downhill. She's doing better now, but the winters are tough on her. She does better in heat, even with humidity. Watching what she went through made it tougher for me to enjoy the woods here.

I'm in Freeport now. Nice quiet place to live. But we've got a serious infestation of brown tailed moths in town, and the rash their webs create hit me pretty hard last year. I'm willing to trade humidity and snakes for ice and insects at this point.
Old April 1, 2019, 07:43 AM   #19
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainah View Post
I lived in Bar Harbor from 85-89, I still miss the island sometimes. It is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen. But I'd sure welcome more access to public land, it is tough to find here.

Several years ago my wife was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease. She found the tick, but never got the rash and she didn't get the bite treated. Within two years her health went way downhill. She's doing better now, but the winters are tough on her. She does better in heat, even with humidity. Watching what she went through made it tougher for me to enjoy the woods here.

I'm in Freeport now. Nice quiet place to live. But we've got a serious infestation of brown tailed moths in town, and the rash their webs create hit me pretty hard last year. I'm willing to trade humidity and snakes for ice and insects at this point.
the snakes aren't so bad, but the bugs in N.C..... prepare for mosquitoes, chiggers, and just about everything that flies and stings. ticks and spiders abound.
Old April 1, 2019, 07:43 AM   #20
stagpanther

Understand that--it is tough here no doubt. I've been chronic Lyme for 12 years now so I can certainly relate to that part. It sucks, and none of the treatments I've had have worked. Maine is terrible for Lyme treatment--and it is a real epidemic here--the perfect storm.
Old April 1, 2019, 08:14 AM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
prepare for mosquitoes, chiggers,
They are bad--but nothing compared to Maine's mosquitoes and black flies, so that won't be too much of a problem. Hands down the best part of living in the south for me was the vastly greater access to public hunting (and shooting) if that's your thing--and the more moderate weather, but I did have a hard time with summer weather in Georgia and Tennessee. Your deer are about half the size of ours--but there are a whole lot more of them.
Old April 2, 2019, 08:11 AM   #22
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
They are bad--but nothing compared to Maine's mosquitoes and black flies, so that won't be too much of a problem. Hands down the best part of living in the south for me was the vastly greater access to public hunting (and shooting) if that's your thing--and the more moderate weather, but I did have a hard time with summer weather in Georgia and Tennessee. Your deer are about half the size of ours--but there are a whole lot more of them.
northern deer are bigger because they have to survive the harsh winters. and yeah, the summers in the south are stifling.
Old April 2, 2019, 01:15 PM   #23
Doyle

Quote:
northern deer are bigger because they have to survive the harsh winters. and yeah, the summers in the south are stifling.
What you call "stifling", others call "Yankee repelling"
Old April 2, 2019, 02:48 PM   #24
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
but I honestly don't know if a winter here is as bad as hot humid summer down south.
I have lived in IN, NC, FL and now GA. The summers can get a little humid on the eastern part of NC. The western part of the state is downright moderate in the summer. We lived in Asheville and in the summer, we just left the windows open at night, rarely used a/c. Central part of the state is,as you would expect, a blend of east and western NC weather.

Making a blanket statement that "the humidity is awful in the south" is not totally accurate. Georgia and Florida have a lot worse humidity than NC
Old April 2, 2019, 03:08 PM   #25
stagpanther

Quote:
"the humidity is awful in the south"
But I didn't say that.