The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2018, 03:32 AM   #1
marc780

Light strikes with Beretta 92 .22 Conversion kit

I have a Beretta 92 and got the .22 conversion kit that Beretta makes for it which cost $350... it's well made, always feeds and extracts, but I get 1 failure-to-fire for every mag (10 round). At first I thought I got bad ammo (some of it is from an inheritance, my Dad's old ammo he never used and it's got to be 40 years old, if you can believe that) but it happens with brand new ammo too - the ammo type doesn't seem to matter. I know the problem is light strikes because just pulling the trigger again on the same shell, always fires the round.

(I am using the factory hammer spring, (no "D" spring or any other lightened hammer spring)

I have read other posts about the .22 conversion that mention the same problem so it seems to be pretty common... no one mentions a fix - and the common advice seems to be "just pull the trigger again and leave it be, don't try a fix because that's just how it is..."

Would lightening the firing pin help the light strikes? What about polishing the FP or lightening the return spring on the firing pin?

(If I had it to do over again I think I would just buy $350 of 9 mm ammo instead of getting this expensive kit that doesn't even work right...)

Last edited by marc780; April 29, 2018 at 03:40 AM.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Seven High

What brands of ammunition have you tried? CCI mini mags are better quality than a lot of other brands. I get 100% ignition with the,.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:57 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd remove any burrs on the striker but that's all I'd do with it. I'd also drop a headspace gauge down the barrel to see if it's overdrilled.

Absent that, I'd try other ammo.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Jim Watson

My CZ Kadet Conversion is thus far reliable on ignition of CCI, but nothing else.
So try some Mini Mags if you haven't already.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:44 PM   #5
redlightrich

Curious, how many rounds have been put thru it?
I have several different 22 kits, and often times they need a short break in. Sometimes not so short.
Old May 2, 2018, 04:11 AM   #6
marc780

I';ve tried Federal, Winchester and Remington Thunderbolt ammo...no matter what I've tried there's at least one light strike per 10 round mag.

CCI is not easy to find here (Caliornia) but I'd gladly try some and will be looking for it next time I buy ammo... but trouble is I have about 5,000 rounds of the other kinds! Maybe y'all are right, if I continue shooting it maybe it will loosen up and function properly.

According to my log I have put 150 rounds through the .22 kit.
Old May 2, 2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Remington74

How old is the gun? I know you said it is the factory hammer spring but maybe you should try another factory spring, just in case the original has weakened or is at the low end of the spec. Is there another, extra power spring you could use? Both Wolff and Wilson have a variety for the Beretta 92.
Old May 2, 2018, 01:40 PM   #8
marc780

I got the gun this year, it has 1,150 rounds of 9 mm through it too... the idea of a stronger hammer spring is a good one, although I'm not sure how much stiffer of a DA trigger pull I'd be willing to put up with then it already is

Last edited by marc780; May 2, 2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:43 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't change out springs just yet. It may affect the reliability of your Beretta when you switch back to 9 mm (or is it 40?). If the primary purpose of it is self-defense, you don't want to do that just so it can take 22.
Old May 6, 2018, 09:48 PM   #10
redlightrich

Keep shooting it. In my experience some 22 Kits takes several hundred rounds to break in.

Also, I am suspect of all the ammo you mentioned. Not trying to be inflammatory, and I understand Cali and all, but the ammo may contribute to issues too.

Good luck, report back after running another 250 thru it.

Rich
Old May 6, 2018, 11:51 PM   #11
mete

I used to have the early 9mm [brigadier ? ] and about one in 100 failed to fire . A burr on the firing pin and one in the firing pin hole lined up as the pin rotated !!
Old May 7, 2018, 06:02 AM   #12
Old Stony

I would suspect breaking in this unit will help a lot, and keep the chamber very clean. I have found on some of these type units, which have less spring pressure to close the slide and take it into battery don't get it closed tight enough to allow the pistol to fire...actually out of battery situation. The hammer dropping will sometimes complete the forward movement of the slide for you, and it will fire the second try.
As the unit breaks in, it will probably get the parts fitted better for you by itself and be okay.
Old May 7, 2018, 02:32 PM   #13
SIGSHR

I thought light strikes are to due a weak spring and a heavier one should solve that problem.
Is this unit made by Beretta or just a Ciener unit with their label ? I have the Ciener units for my Browning HP and M1911s, in the Browning only Remington HV ammo is 100% reliable, with the others I get failures to extract/eject.

Last edited by SIGSHR; May 7, 2018 at 02:42 PM.