The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2002, 12:22 PM   #1
asleepinTucson

Home defense shotguns???

I am interested in adding a shotgun to my home defense collection of handguns.

I have searched through previous threads and seen comments regarding the 870 and mossberg 500.

Most of these threads are not too specific as to comparison of reliability and value.

So please once again for an old handgunner new to shotguns...

Comparison of

Mossberg 500/ or 88 for home defense $199
Remington 870 express 12 guage with 18" $290
Winchester 1300 defender 12 guage with 18" $264

Thanx in advance
Old April 25, 2002, 02:14 PM   #2
ReadyOnTheRight

You can't go wrong with the 870.

I've seen more than one used Mossberg 500 at gun shows that have broken safetys or messed up triggers.

There are folks here with a lot more experience than me, but I've never seen a broken 870. Maybe people just don't sell them as often.

Any of these 3 guns should be fun to own and shoot. The Mossberg has tons of inexpensive add-ons, the 1300 has a lot of faithful owners who swear it's the "fastest pump action" and the 870 is a classic.

Be sure to practice and get to know whatever you buy if you're relying on it for 3am usability. There should be plenty of places to shoot in AZ.

Good luck and enjoy!

P.S. If you want a totally jam-free guarantee, go with a side-by-side.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old April 25, 2002, 02:44 PM   #3
Correia

All 3 should have excellent reliability. I have only seen a few pump guns jam, and that was almost always due to operator error.

I am an 870 fan myself, but I don't care for the new Remingtons. I hate the internal key lock safety. And I think their quality isn't nearly as good as it used to be. I would actually skip the new express and purchase an older Wingmaster, Police, or Magnum model. (Often available for very good prices) They never really wear out. My Dad's Wingmaster from the 1950s has been abused as an all purpose farm/hunting/truck gun for decades. It has been detail stripped and cleaned once in 40 years. It still works just fine. I have had my Wingmaster for 15 years, it has had some serious finish wear, dings, scratches, and corrosion, but it still runs great.
Old April 25, 2002, 03:11 PM   #4
m14nut

I own a Defender in 20ga. All I can say is I like the gun. The action is smooth as glass and it holds 8 shots. For around 250+-... you can't go wrong.
READ THE THREAD on the Defender.
Old April 25, 2002, 03:16 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All of the Big Three are good choices. Mine is the 870. I've put close to 50K rounds through them personally and professionally since around 1958, and had close to zero glitches.

OTOH, I've shot Mossies and Winchesters and had good results with them also. I'd still go with the 870, but....

Like someone already said, get a used one, preferably a police turnin. Spend the money you save on ammo and range fees, maybe a lesson or two with a QUALIFIED instructor.

Then, have fun. ALL of the various shotgun games are fun. Shoot Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, practical/tactical matches, or pigeons down at the quarry. After a few cases of ammo, and some elbow grease, you'll be surprised at just how good you've become.

HTH....
Old April 25, 2002, 03:35 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

The Rem 870 Marine Magnum was my choice because it comes with the extended magazine and the nickelling on the gun helps assure that even if you fail to lube it or wipe it down every few years, it still should not rust - good for any environment from dry to humid. I have been real happy with mine.

Whatever gun you decide on, determine the greatest potential range within your home and do a pattern board at that range to find out what the spread and pattern shape are at that distance. Do one or two intermediate distances as well. If you think you might need it outside, you might check patterns a longer distances. Do this with the ammo you plan to use as defense ammo. In mine, I patterned Federal 00 Buck Tactical at three distances with three shots at each distance. At 5 yards, the pattern was fist-sized, ~3" diameter and was basically a giant hole after three shots including the shot cups. At 10 yards, the pattern had a roughly 6" diameter circle. At 15 yards, the pattern was approximately 9" across at its greatest diameters, but more square than circular in pattern. In other words, the pattern gained roughly one inch in size for every five feet of distance added.

By knowing how your gun will perform, you can make better use of its capabilities.

If you have slugs, you may wish to check with slugs as well. My gun shoots about 6" high and left at the 1 o'clock position at 50 yards.
Old April 25, 2002, 03:41 PM   #7
ReadyOnTheRight

Double Naught Spy --

I really like the 870 Marine. Do you have any idea how it would perform with slugs as a deer hunting gun?

(Gotta justify $500 for a pump shotgun somehow )

Thanks!
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old April 25, 2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Ewok_Guy

I like Winchester.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old April 25, 2002, 04:14 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

Quote:
Be sure to practice and get to know whatever you buy if you're relying on it for 3am usability. There should be plenty of places to shoot in AZ.
THAT IS A BIGGIE !

Lots of good info above.

Sam
Old April 25, 2002, 05:41 PM   #10
Snake Jenkins
Registration in progress

Look for an older Ithaca M37 they are slick as glass.

Snake
Old April 25, 2002, 06:11 PM   #11
wm1300defender

Dear sleepinginTucson

Dear SleepinginTucson;
You will sleep more soundly, and will wake up more refreshed, from being content that you choose the best of the home defense pump shotguns that are out there on the market.
That being THE WINCHESTER MODEL 1300 DEFENDER.

Sleep well ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

StevieB.
Old April 26, 2002, 05:23 PM   #12
dfaugh

In order of preference (I'll pay for this!):
Mossberg
Mossberg
Mossberg

Only shotguns ever owned, hunting, clay or otherwise were all 500 variants...Some well used (my first at age 14 for example) when I got 'em....Have NEVER had any type of mechanical failure whatsover....Current HD gun is "Special Purpose" (20" Cylinder barrel, holds 8 rounds (7 in preferred S&B, 15 ball 00buck) modified w/ pistol grip, folding stock...total cost (all new) $250...

Ok, so I've never used any of the others...Why would I need to?

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 26, 2002, 08:42 PM   #13
Mannlicher

A really good choice, is a Browning A-5, 12 ga. mag. With an optional 18 inch barrel, and proper choice of shells, it is simply awesome. Total reliability. Quick reloads, easy to handle.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 30, 2002, 04:01 AM   #14
1911A1 fan

Defender

For me the 1300 just feels better, smooth as glass, good stock weld, it just fits me better. One bit of trouble that I had with mine was the recoil pad. It would snag on loose clothing like jackets and robes(if its a house gun that can be a problem), so I took a disk sander and took down the sharp edges on the top and sides. Now it comes to the shoulder REAL quick!