The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2021, 01:07 PM   #1
BJung

Best pistol brass for cast bullets

Guys, I was sorting my .40 brass yesterday and was thinking, is Remington brass better than Winchester brass for bullet casters because the Remington has thinner walls? As you know, your cast bullet has been sized for a proper fit. Pulled bullets in the past show that tight internal brass dimensions swages the bullet slightly. So, a casing with a lighter grip on the bullet should be best on a lead bullet, yes? If you need to hold the bullet tighter, crimp it.

Has anyone compared their ideal load between Winchester and Remington brass and found a better group or lower SD?

Happy 2021
Old January 5, 2021, 09:28 AM   #2
zplinker

Testing, along those lines, I found that Fed brass gave me sd's about 1/4 of about any other brass. Did it improve my PPC scores? Can't say, but I felt like it should have!
Old January 5, 2021, 11:07 AM   #3
BJung

Zplinker, I appreciate you sharing your experience. When I want the most accurate pistol rounds, I like to group weigh my pistol brass and bullets. Besides separating your brass by head stamp, did you group your Federal pistol brass by weight or conducted a test to see if it made a difference?
Old January 5, 2021, 11:59 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I don't have a .40, no idea about that.

I have used Rem, Win, FC and others in .45 Colt, .45 acp, .44 Magnum, Special, .357 Mag .38 special, and 9mm Luger, and have found no significant differences between them.

Never bothered weighing the brass, though I do group by headstamp. If you're shooting a typical Browning type tilt barrel pistol where the open sights are not attached to the barrel, I doubt you'll see any difference between brass prepped like benchrest shooters and brass done normally.
Old January 5, 2021, 12:29 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

Brass

Agree that Federal is the best I have used for pistols.

I separate by same head stamps as well as number of times each is reloaded.
Old January 5, 2021, 12:49 PM   #6
BJung

Is there a change in consistent accuracy as you resize/reload your pistol brass more? I separated my range brass that was once fired to those that have been reloaded or show signs of excessive pressure on the base, and don't weigh these. But, these cases ( both Rem and Win ) are for lead bullet practice loads. Interesting report about the Federals. I've weighed Speer casings recently and will do the same for Federal pistol brass to see what kind of weight spread there is among the range brass I've collected. I'll get back with you later on it. From weighing rifle casings in the past, Federal brass was the most consistent of the three.
Old February 5, 2021, 08:36 AM   #7
Grey_Lion

I reload WIN, Federal, and RP, but seem to favor win the most. I pick up more free WIN off the range and get it out of scrap buckets than I do Federal or Remington, so there's a bias there. I fire a .40 as well. On factory projectiles, I can expect a winchester brass to last 30+ reloads.

Only footnote that I have is that Winchester range once fired brass, you have a bur inside the flashhole in about 1 in 20 cases that should be removed. Remington has this as well in about 1 in 40 cases. But I don't see that bur in Federal brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Win_Burr_a1.jpg (136.6 KB, 11 views)
Old February 5, 2021, 01:59 PM   #8
zplinker

Nope, never segregated my match pistol brass by weight. Burrs in the flash holes are pretty common, but when tackling brass that is new to me, I run them through the Dillon 1050 to size, and swage any crimped primer rounds. That smashes the burr flat, and never has been much of a change in the flash hole size. Some of the best PPC scores I ever shot, were with mixed headstamp brass....so much for all the work and worrying, huh?