The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2021, 04:31 PM   #26
9MMand223only

"it sounded like a war"

Let me correct you. This depends where you are from. You see, if you are from France, then what you are describing is the sound of white flags waving in the wind. Since it wasn't that, I take it to mean you went to an outdoor gun range shooting area in the USA.
Old January 18, 2021, 06:23 PM   #27
Reloadron

I wonder if they actually sell any of the expensive one....

Not to me, can't speak for others. I would not even consider the twenty cents a round stuff. However if someone wants to bite at those prices cool with me.

Ron
Old January 21, 2021, 05:05 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

Not to me, either. But I'm coasting on stock just fine.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 27, 2021, 10:34 AM   #29
RCoulter52

Bartering works well. :-)

Some time back, I purchased some, once fired, 7.62x51 and 308 brass at a local gun shop at a very good price. I use the Lee Decapper & Base on all military brass, as sometimes it can be temperamental.

Last week, while in a state of boredom, I started de-capping the mil brass, and..... Boom! Berdan crap!!! Out of the 200 plus rounds, there were 45 Berdan primed cases. I deal with these guys all the time so I called them and told them about it. They apologized and said they would make it good. I, in turn, told them it wasn't necessary, I wanted them to know as someone else might not be as easy going about it as me.

I took the brass along with 150+ pieces of .30-'06 brass into the shop. They looked over the brass and asked how much I wanted for it. I told them I would rather trade it out. They had some Lil' Gun powder for $31.00 a pound. I asked if they would trade the brass for 2 pounds? Well, I now have 2 pounds of Lil' Gun in my growing stash of powders. :-)

I need to go out to the garage and see what other brass I have that I no longer need.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR
Old January 27, 2021, 07:03 PM   #30
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmandy
I picked up 3 pounds of powder today. Didn't need it, but it was there, and I've learned that you can't get it when it isn't there.
And this is exactly why we are stuck in current gun panic, and will continue to have panics in the future...
Old January 27, 2021, 08:18 PM   #31
USSR

No, Road_Clam, buying 3 pounds of powder you don't need immediately is not why we are where we are, it's merely a consequence of a much bigger issue.

Don
Old January 27, 2021, 08:30 PM   #32
Carmady

"And this is exactly why we are stuck in current gun panic, and will continue to have panics in the future..."

What's your solution?
Wait until primers are available again, and then complain about the lack of powder?
Old January 27, 2021, 08:39 PM   #33
stephen426

Um, there certainly is an ammo shortage. Many online stores are sold out. I know that some places have ammo at jacked up prices, but it isn't like you can buy anything you want if you had the funds. Defensive ammo is very hard to come by.
Old April 27, 2021, 10:34 AM   #34
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
Even people who have prepared for this drought can be stupid.

I was warned about these times when I first started shooting high power in the mid 70s, took the advise to heart, so I was prepared..................so I thought.

My wife decided we needed to be snow birds so we bought a summer home in Arkansas. I outfitted the place with a reloading set up cause i figured I'd want to shoot in Arkansas as well.

So after Wyoming hunting season I loaded up reloading supplies and headed south.

Forgot I got a 350 Legend that needed fed so I didnt bring ay SR primers. None to be found anywhere. Couldnt even trade other primers.

I had to make a round trip back to Wyoming, 1200 miles each way, just to dig into my stash for a brick of Small Rifle Primers.

Dumb, yeah maybe, but I can shoot my Legend.

Did I learn? Nope, Playing with my Legend I decided I needed an AR, so I ordered a Legend Upper..............you guessed it, made another round trip to pick up one of my Lowers too. Thought about buying a Lower in Arkansas only to find out lowers only are like pistols, you can only buy them (or recieve them ) in your home state.

Cant wait to find out what I forgot next.
Why I use a notebook.
Old April 27, 2021, 11:14 AM   #35
Carl the Floor Walker

Something tells me the second wave of firearm Purchases and more sever ammo shortages will begin this summer.
Old April 27, 2021, 12:56 PM   #36
USSR

Quote:
Something tells me the second wave of firearm Purchases and more sever ammo shortages will begin this summer.
I think you're right, Carl.

Don
Old April 27, 2021, 02:44 PM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
Did I learn? Nope, Playing with my Legend I decided I needed an AR, so I ordered a Legend Upper..............you guessed it, made another round trip to pick up one of my Lowers too. Thought about buying a Lower in Arkansas only to find out lowers only are like pistols, you can only buy them (or recieve them ) in your home state.
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the law says "home state" -- I think it says "state of residence." And IIRC the BATFE (or the courts) have ruled that means "where you are living at the time." If you own a home in Arkansas, for firearms purposes while you are in Arkansas you are a resident of Arkansas and you can legally purchase handguns (and lowers) in Arkansas.
Jeepaholic
Old April 27, 2021, 08:03 PM   #38
Average Joe

There are many new gun owners, and most are anxious to shoot their new guns.
Old April 27, 2021, 09:19 PM   #39
101combatvet

With a driver's license from that state, it gets expensive to change tags and insurance for a few weeks and then back again.
Old April 27, 2021, 10:38 PM   #40
edfardos

emperor newsom just made online ammo purchases illegal. here in the golden state, you should probably invest in knives... or sticks and stones. thats what they want you to have. zero ammo. I'm having fun with a new bb gun. i know it sounds silly, but its fun!
Old April 28, 2021, 03:54 PM   #41
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
emperor newsom just made online ammo purchases illegal. here in the golden state, you should probably invest in knives... or sticks and stones. thats what they want you to have. zero ammo. I'm having fun with a new bb gun. i know it sounds silly, but its fun!
Tar and feather him!
Old April 28, 2021, 04:35 PM   #42
higgite

Quote:
Tar and feather him!
Have you priced feathers lately?
Old April 29, 2021, 07:13 AM   #43
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgite View Post
Have you priced feathers lately?
Whatever it costs would be well worth it.
Old April 29, 2021, 08:29 AM   #44
5whiskey

Even mostly prepared folks might hurt by the end of this one. I don’t see an end in sight right now, and I’ve got maybe another year before I run short of some stock. Other stock I can stretch further. That’s assuming I continue my current shooting habits. Of course not only do I supply my ammo, but ammo for my kids. Thank goodness my son got into .45 as I have a good bit of LPP.

I don’t see all stock returning to normal within a year. Guys who shoot odd ball calibers will be in this conundrum much longer. I highly doubt a lot of 6.5 carcano, 7mm-08, or other less common calibers get any attention from manufacturers right now. And it will be after there is a very good stock of common calibers before we start to see any production shift to the lesser common calibers. Yeah I get it, that’s why we reload. Still, I doubt many .323 or .312 projectiles are being made right now. I see 2+ years before some of this stuff trickles back in.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 29, 2021, 08:36 AM   #45
hounddawg

Quote:
I don’t see an end in sight right now, and I’ve got maybe another year before I run short of some stock
you must not be looking very hard then. PV, Midsouth, even Midway are doing powder drops about once a week now and it is taking longer for them to sell out. My LGS is getting small shipments in occasionally of powder and primers. Yester day I had dozen or more options on where to buy when looking for some 175 gn .308 bullets, I ended up ordering 500 Barnes Match Burners but there were at least 10 more shops offering SMK's
Old April 29, 2021, 08:38 AM   #46
USSR

Quote:
I don’t see all stock returning to normal within a year.
Yeah, gonna be a while. I'm helping the local guys all I can, since I cast my own bullets. The 9mm guys gotta really be hurting, since they always said "I can buy ammo for cheaper than I can reload". My only hope is that a whole new generation of shooters are paying attention to this and once this shortage ends, they have the wisdom and foresight to stock up before it happens again.

Don
Old April 29, 2021, 08:45 AM   #47
USSR

hounddawg,

I know you like to paint a rosy picture, but having something online remain available for 30 minutes now instead of 15 minutes is not a return to normality by any stretch of the imagination. Things are bleak and everyone seems to know it except you.

Don
Old April 29, 2021, 09:15 AM   #48
hounddawg

I am not saying it is rosy by any means but it is not as bleak as some make it out to be. I found several suitable powders, a 500 box of 105 gn 6mm bullets, and some Starline grendel brass for my 6 ARC build last month with a little effort and persistence

It takes a bit of digging locally or being quick when PV etc do their drops but is certainly not impossible to find powders and the occasional primer drop. The alternative is to sit in a corner wondering who stole the cheese or pay stupid high prices and buy from the scalpers at gunshows and on gunbroker. Or just take up a new hobby until Midway has 8 pounders of Varget and cases of CCI's on their site 24 and 7
Old April 29, 2021, 10:41 AM   #49
seanc

USSR:
Quote:
Things are bleak and everyone seems to know it except you.
There is an ammo shortage. It is slowly getting better. If you can't/refuse to see that, that's on you. "Getting better" does not mean "awesome". I see no need to feed the panic buying, either in encouraging people to scarf up anything they see on the shelf/online or paying any price to scrounge whatever they can.
Old April 29, 2021, 11:46 AM   #50
USSR

Quote:
I see no need to feed the panic buying, either in encouraging people to scarf up anything they see on the shelf/online or paying any price to scrounge whatever they can.
Not feeding any panic buying or telling people to scarf up whatever is available. Just facing up to the facts, and if you don't see it for what it is, "that's on you".

Don