The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 18, 2019, 08:53 PM   #26
RickB

I have a Springfield, Inc. Garand, mix of commercial and G.I. parts, and 3MOA is about right.
I didn't notice much difference between 150gr loads cranked-out in quantity, and careful loading of 168 Match Kings in prepped brass (separated by headstamp, uniform flash holes and primer pockets, etc.).
Old April 19, 2019, 02:17 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

RickB,

At the other extreme, when I got my DCM program Garand (also S.A.) in the '80s, I accurized it and with 47.5 grains of IMR4064 over 168-grain SMK's, in the prone position using a sling, my first group from it was 10 shots into 0.75" c-t-c at 100 yards. So the old warhorse can be made to shoot, though that took some bedding and other work to make happen.

I've seen issue Garands shoot about 2 moa before with the old National Match ammunition, so some of this is the condition of the barrel and luck of the draw on stock fit and so-on.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle