The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2017, 01:23 PM   #1
jrothWA

Michigan ML season, is on. Question is..

How to hols a load over for a couple days?

Presently no cap on lock, elcetrical tape sealing muzzle [and prevent foriegn object from entering], the lock has a strip of tape and then a wad of tape held by hammer, to minimize atmospheris moisture from entering.

Should I be doing somethine else, normally I discharge and clean.

Thanks.
Old December 1, 2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Oliver Sudden

I just remove the cap then lower the hammer and put my rifle in a case and keep it in a cool place. This has worked for as long as a month over many years of hunting. It always goes bang when needed.
Old December 1, 2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Pahoo

Not a problem for now

Quote:
Should I be doing somethine else, normally I discharge and clean.
Legally;
In Iowa, an M/L is considered legally unloaded as long as there is no ignition component, in place. Example, primers, caps or priming powder. Give your county DNR officer a call so he can confirm that this is true for your state. ....

Practically;
Again, the corrosion process does not "start" until the M/L, is discharged. Some propellants are more corrosive than others. Many M/L hunters keep their M/L's in the unfired condition during the entire hunting season without any ill effect. I do recommend that you pull the charge clean and store at the end of each season. I once helped a friend, pull a Pyrodex load after it had sat for 5-years. Cleaned up just fine.....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 1, 2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I once helped a friend, pull a Pyrodex load after it had sat for 5-years. Cleaned up just fine...
I fired one after it sat for at least 12 years. It worked just fine.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If the rifle was outdoors in a cold climate. (hunting with or targeting) I would advise never bring it in-doors capped or with a charge left in its barrel. As the rifle warms its exposed to air medal parts will sweat inside its barrel as well as outside. Leaving no doubt the rifle will require special attention during its warming. Cloth wiping of exterior every-so-often and dry patch swabbing of its bore on some occasions is necessary. And done sometimes more than just once until the rifle comes to room temperature.

Where I hunt. Its more often than not really cold out. Upon returning to camp. My Hawken's Cap is removed and the (charged) rifle is rested in a horizontal gun rack in open air porch or my pick-up trucks rear window gun rack. Thus keeping snow or rain from entering its bore and secured when necessary i.e.(camp visitors coming & going) Only time my rifle is allowed to rest (charged) with its Cap again removed and standing in a upright Vertical position. Yep!! while I'm field dressing my quarry or in its National Security locker-upper.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Smoke & Recoil

Yes, as above mentioned. I'm in Michigan also...leave your rifle out-doors, uncapped, this way it will stay acclimated to the weather conditions.
Old December 3, 2017, 08:50 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Acclimate to the weather???? Why, I thought the weather was always sunny and balmy in Michigan!!! LOL That's why I now spend the winter in Ariaonq - sunny and 80s this week but I won't rub it in.

I hunted for years in southern Michigan and every day was different during deer season - if it wasn't snowing it was raining. Smoke & Recoil gives sage advice.

And good luck with your hunt!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 4, 2017, 08:44 PM   #8
jrothWA

I found a better option for sealing the nipple..

go to the hardware store [old fashionstore with little pull bins for different hardware need], and locate the parts bins labeled "Thread Protectors" and purchase the "#8" red plastic protectors, that will seal off the nipple.

Nice and clean, the cost is only 0.18cents.

The electrical tape is great across the muzzle.

Thanks for ALL responses.

Good Luck to All for your ML seasons!
Old December 5, 2017, 12:20 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

It's condensation from bringing the thing in from a coldish outside that causes the grief. That applies to any steel object. Leave it outside or on an unheated porch with no priming if that's possible. No bits of tape, wads of gum or anything else is necessary. Except that BP will absorb moisture from the air in the barrel, so unloading altogether is best.
Old December 15, 2017, 10:24 AM   #10
shortwave

A little late to the party but...not only do I leave my loaded,uncapped rifle outside from start of Ohio's gun season(1st Monday after Thanksgiving) until the end of m/l season(end of 1st week of Jan.), I leave my possibles bag containing sealed, plastic charged speed loaders and percussion caps out with the rifle.
As has been said, going from cold to warm has proven to be a no no when it comes to condensation.
If it happens to warm up and rain consecutively(say two days) through out those days, I'll reload. Other then that she stays charged.
Old December 15, 2017, 12:50 PM   #11
the possum

I fired my muzzle loader last week & got a coyote. I reloaded of course, and planned to go back out hunting all afternoon, but something came up. So my gun has been sitting with the charge in the barrel for a week after being fired. No rust as of last night. My gun is carbon steel (not stainless); used Pyrodex. It was freezing cold out & I brought it in the house.

Now, I'm shooting Minnie balls lubed with bore butter, so it's possible the lube is helping protect the steel a bit.

Also, when ya bring a cold gun inside, LEAVE IT SEALED IN THE CASE overnight or at least until the whole thing has reached room temperature. Don't even unzip it for a minute. The case will insulate it & keep moisture from condensing on yer gun. But of course, as soon as it's warmed up, take it out of the case (& clean it if necessary) and let it air out just in case some moisture did get inside.
Old December 17, 2017, 08:58 AM   #12
thallub

My muzzleloaders often remain loaded for months. They always go bang when there're supposed to. My conventional muzzleloaders have the hammer lowered on a piece of leather.

Loaded muzzleloaders in the safe get a red tag.
Old December 17, 2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
I fired my muzzle loader last week & got a coyote. I reloaded of course, and planned to go back out hunting all afternoon, but something came up. So my gun has been sitting with the charge in the barrel for a week after being fired. No rust as of last night. My gun is carbon steel (not stainless); used Pyrodex. It was freezing cold out & I brought it in the house.
I've been saying that for years but nobody ever believed it.
Old December 26, 2017, 03:34 PM   #14
jrothWA

Got my answer, a week ago...

MI ML season ended on the 17th of December.

Was doing last minute running around and was going to my range [dependent on time available] and stop at local gun shop.

Put a lay-away on a item and asked the clerk if I could you the function range to discharge the ML. He took it to the manager and got permission but he has to be there. I retrieved the ML from car walked to the impact berm capped and "FIRE in the HOLE!" occurred, with no hesitation.

I found a #8 plastic thread protector would snugly fit the #11 nipple and set the hammer at half-cock.

black tape over muzzle, keep the load for over a week.

Thank for all response.

Happy New Year to ALL!
Old December 26, 2017, 06:46 PM   #15
the possum

I still haven't made time to unload and clean my gun. Just checked it. Still zero rust.